Skip navigation

47965 Views 258 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2010 5:59 PM by Moonslug RSS Go to original post 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18 Previous Next
  • Dr. Patty Merkely Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    135. Sep 27, 2010 7:08 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: The Women's Half Marathon - Nashville, TN Reviews

The event was wonderful. The volunteers along the course, especially the water stations, were GREAT!!! The packet pick-up was easy and well organized. I loved the idea of the names on the bibs. It was great hearing strangers cheer me on. The 12.5 bridge/hill was a little much, but otherwise the course was scenic and challenging. The medals were really cute!

Women pacers would have been a nice touch. 

The "goodie bag" left something to be desired, considering the registration fee. 

We stayed at the Renaissance and it might be a good idea to select a different sponsoring hotel for next year's event. The rooms were overpriced for the amenities. No fridge in room, room was small and our "non-smoking" room had an smokers aroma.

It was an amazing morning with great people and beautiful weather! I look forward to next year's event... minus that last hill

• wegharp Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 30, 2010
    136. Sep 27, 2010 7:13 AM (in response to Guest )

This was a GREAT marathon although I will say it was way too many hills!!! I thought the CMM was hilly but this one really shot that one out of the water with the hills.  No reason for that..... The planning that went into the race other than the hills was wonderful.  Water stations, the bands were great!!! All the support along the way was great too.  Loved the shirt, just please in the future - take out several of those hills......The first hill was way too steep and the last one was a real kick in the teeth!

• RunningAwayinTN Amateur 26 posts since
    Feb 25, 2010
    137. Sep 27, 2010 7:19 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half marathon and I loved it!!! I am from East TN and am used to hills, but I guess the number of them in this race did surprise me. But the bridge at the end is the one that was the worst. Whew!

Otherwise I loved the atmosphere. The bands and dancers along the course were fabulous. Wonderful amount of water stops and bathrooms if needed. The volunteers cheering our names along the way were really helpful too.

Overall I was really pleased with this event and am already looking forward to next year!

• Edna Luna Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 27, 2010
    138. Sep 27, 2010 7:20 AM (in response to Guest )

This was our first half marathon.  We signed up and completed the half marathon training with Brentwood, TN Fleet Feet and that more than prepped us mentally and physically (thanks you Fleet Feet). We have run several 5k's over the first year so this was definitely a different experience.  The course was very challenging but challenge is good.  And to have completed in the times that we did (all less than 3 hrs. 25 min.)we are proud.  We read where people who run half marathons regularly stated this was the hardest course they have faced.  So with that in mind - we feel great!  Possibly looking at running again next year.  The feeling I had upon crossing the finish line at 3 hrs. 4 min. was GREAT!  To have  someone from the military to place the medal around my neck was PRICELESS!  This was definitely a top class event.

• SJ Spigner Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 14, 2008
    139. Sep 27, 2010 7:28 AM (in response to Guest )

I had a ball!!!  This was my first 1/2 Marathon and to me it was a great experience.  The Shelby Street Bridge was rough, but it just made me pray harder and when I got to the top I knew it was downhill and to the finish!  The parking for the Expo was bad...we parked and went to pay and it would only take $10 even though we were going to run in and out.  We were in the Exop for no more than 20 minutes but had to pay $10.  Water stations were great but then I am a warm water drinker and I never drink a full cup!  The entertainment that was there, was awesome as was the single doctor guy!  Had me laughing for at least a mile.  The goodie bag wasn't "ultimate"....medal was great!  Walkers should start in back or at least be asked to stay to one side in the beginning.  Pacers were great!  I loved that it was guys in pink shirts.  It took a real man to carry a sparkly sign wear a pink shirt and run with 5000 women!  I loved the course myself~know it was hilly, but life is:)  Can't wait until next year! 

• shannonand dewayne Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 28, 2009
    140. Sep 27, 2010 7:39 AM (in response to Guest )

great expo!!  super cute goodie bag. medals were phenomenal. nice shirt. very well organized.  the race route would have benefited from a few more bands, dance teams and/or cheerleaders.  was actually surprised at the great spectator support considering 5,000 is a small half marathon for Nashville, compared to 30,000 for the CMM and 1/2. the course was too hilly though.  maybe try to knock out some of those hills for next year.  would it be possible to run across the pedestrian bridge? that would be an awesome view as well, without the steep uphill grade. overall, the event rocked !!!

• MaiLei's mom Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 11, 2010
    141. Sep 27, 2010 7:40 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half marathon and I loved it!  The course was very challenging but all of the people cheering us along the way was incredible.  I hoped for a better race time but my "bum knee" called it quits on me just before the Woodland Street bridge...had to limp-walk the last 2 miles.  The very best part of the race was receiving my medal from a soldier...what an honor!  Looking forward to my next half marathon.  Saturday was a very memorable day for me...thanks to everyone who helped make it happen.

• shannon64028 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 17, 2010
    142. Sep 27, 2010 7:41 AM (in response to Guest )

great job being in Nashville...luckily the cooler weather rolled in just in time to make the day comfortable.  Great energy from the participants as well as the by-standers.  The coarse was tough with the hills, but if you train well you can handle it...the hill (over the bridge) at the end was the most challenging but at that point I was thinking finish line anyway and fought through it! 

Great event and hope to participate again next year!

• ronanddeb Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 23, 2010
    143. Sep 27, 2010 8:00 AM (in response to Guest )

I thought the event was well organized.  Weather was perfect considering the weather all week had been near 100!  The expo was great for a smaller event.  Easy to get in and out.  Loved the bibs with names and the shirts are great. I was most impressed with the service men giving our awesome medals!  That was a fabulous end to a very intense race.  The hills made this race very difficult and challenging.  The last bridge at mile 12.5 was the worst!  Despite my sore and achy back side I will return next year.  Maybe we can do this one the opposite way? 

A big thank you to all the volunteers who worked this event and made it a success.  See you next year! 

• spuds1963 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 14, 2007
    144. Sep 27, 2010 8:03 AM (in response to Guest )

Overall, great experience start to finish.  Got in and out of the expo easily because I went on Thursday afternoon.  I did hear that Friday it was a bit more crowded.  Weather was perfect on Saturday.  The course had more hills than I had anticipated.  I would definitely take out the hill at Second Avenue and the bridge or start the race going over the bridge and down Second Avenue. Much hillier than CMM.  A few more bands along the course would be nice.  Water stops were good, but I never saw a medical tent on the course.   I guess I just wasn't paying enough attention.  Love the shirt and the medal.  Maybe the best part was getting my medal from a soldier and getting a big hug from him.   Oh, I did like the pace guys wearing the pink shirts.  Keep them in the race for next year!!! 

• lyndaburge Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 13, 2010
    145. Sep 27, 2010 8:07 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my 3rd half marathon and I felt like the course had way to many hills! What was so hard was having two big hills in the last two miles. I guess I wouldnt have minded all the hills if the last two wouldnt have been at the very end. Dont think I would do it again unless the course was changed some!!!! I did love the medal though!

• mury Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 26, 2010
    146. Sep 27, 2010 8:12 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my 1st marathon and I enjoy it lots.  Expo was tight quarters, would have been better if you could move around better.  The route was good except the last 2 miles.  The hills should have been at the beginning.  Otherwise great day!!!!!

• gina88996 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 1, 2010

Great Job !!!!

• dgalloway Amateur 8 posts since
    Feb 8, 2010
    148. Sep 27, 2010 8:27 AM (in response to Guest )

Had a great time, expo was good, weather was good, water stops and all the volunteers were great, and the dancers and bands, but the course was very tough especially the hill at mile 12, now that was just down right mean to throw that one in LOL, but saying that I did PR it, why I did I have no idea but it was great.  I would do it again, would love to see that last hill come out.  Loved getting my medal from a soldier, after all without our soldiers we couldn't do what we do!

• klsheets Rookie 1 posts since
    May 5, 2010
    149. Sep 27, 2010 8:35 AM (in response to Guest )

My first half marathon!! The ONLY thing i would critique would be the last 2 or 3 miles. There could be more water stations along that route for an extra boost, it was in the direct sunlight the entire time, and something needs to be done about that last outrageous hill/bridge!!!!

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...