Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2581 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 28, 2010 11:53 AM by QueenKitty RSS
SteelerDaisy82 Rookie 5 posts since
Sep 24, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 24, 2010 11:02 AM

Starting Over

Hello all, I just found this page!

I'm on week 4 of Couch to 5K.  I was almost done with the program and ready to run my first ever 5K, but I hurt my back in April, then in July, so I've been benched for a while.

So, I'm starting over. I started at week 1 again and had to repeat a couple of weeks.  So, I guess I'm just looking for advice and encouragement as I begin again.  Thanks for reading!

• yogabudorunner Legend 292 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    1. Sep 24, 2010 1:41 PM (in response to SteelerDaisy82)
    Re: Starting Over

Hi there.  Just wanted to say hello.  I just re-started week One again.  I think you'll find lots of encouragement here!

Best,
    Karen

SwimBikeRen

Yogini

Budoka

SwimBikeRUN!!!

Triathlete in training. 

2010 Turkey Trot Houston 5K:  46:00
    Austin Half Marathon:  Finished 3:06:18

Bayou City Classic 10K:  Finished 1:22:27
    TriGirl Super Sprint Triathlon (5/8/11)

The greatest journeys answer questions that, in the beginning, you didn't even think to ask.

• AshAlex Amateur 11 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010
    2. Sep 24, 2010 4:01 PM (in response to SteelerDaisy82)

We're in the same boat! I got to week 5 and had to stop. I started all over this week on week 1. Komen's Race for the Cure is Oct. 30 and I'm hoping to do it! I dont mind having to start off walking, but I want to be running 5k's before the year is up. Good luck to  ya!

• Milio99 Amateur 40 posts since
    Sep 21, 2008
    3. Sep 24, 2010 4:55 PM (in response to AshAlex)

I had started the program once before, got to week 7 and quit due to unbearable left leg pain.  I have restarted the program and am now in week 5.  No pain yet!  I AM going to finish this time.  I will say that it is much easier this go around than the first.  I stretch a lot more so that could be it.  I am kinda looking forward to the 20 minute run

Stick to it and read the forums, you'll got a lot of good advice and encouragement!

Norma
  • mightymite1110 Amateur 33 posts since
    Jul 29, 2009
    4. Sep 24, 2010 8:13 PM (in response to SteelerDaisy82)

Hi there,

I'm for the most part - starting over also.  I am able to run successfully on the treadmill, but have difficulty running outside.  Right now I can barely run 1 mile continuously... However, running 3 miles on the treadmill is no problem for me.  I'm not sure what it is, but I am hoping with the fall weather, I can do more running outside.

Cheers!

• Mhcruella Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    5. Sep 24, 2010 10:17 PM (in response to SteelerDaisy82)

I'm there with you.  I got up to Week 4 Day 1.  I am a little intimidated by starting a new week.  Anyway I wasn't feeling well the last week and my runs felt terrible and I didn't get all the way through them.  I'm starting over with Week 1.  In a way it sucks, but I would rather take the long route now rather than end up not liking running.

So, start over, but do it.  I'm there with you.

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Sep 25, 2010 4:51 AM (in response to SteelerDaisy82)

First off Congrats for coming back and starting over!  I told myself it's only 3 days for 30 minutes. W1 I thought was a little hard, I went to W2 and I struggled to finished so I reapeated that week, now I'm on W5D2.  I also started walking on the days I'm not doing C25K. Take it slow and have fun and know that when you come here you get a lot of support.

• washwords Rookie 7 posts since
    Nov 19, 2009
    8. Sep 27, 2010 7:10 PM (in response to SteelerDaisy82)

Hey all, recently found active.com and these forums...

I'm kinda starting over too. i was doing the C25k program after i saw it on a friend's fb page, but then kinda switched to "on my own" doing running then walking, trying to slowly increase the amount of time running at a time, and the number of runs, while doing the opposite with the walks. Today i decided to try C25k again and figured i'm at about week 4. Running 5 mins at a time was HARD but i did it.  twice, like the program said.

I did my first 5k this past weekend (Prevent Cancer here in DC) walking and running and shaved a minute off my normal pace per mile on my training runs (my pace on the 5k was 12:47/mile, my previous best was 13:30/mile. Now i've got the fever and want to do more but i want to be more in the middle of the pack than the end!  It's been fun tracking my progress (I use cardio trainer) and I'm excited to find a like group. I'm scared about week 5 on the program ...  5 minutes was harrrd, I may need to stay at week 4 for a while.

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    9. Sep 28, 2010 11:51 AM (in response to SteelerDaisy82)

SteelerDaisy82 - I am so glad you started this thread.  I was at W6D2 and had ITBS flare up, took some weeks to resolve that and ended up with a knee issue.  Blah!  Anyway, I have been seeing an orthopedic and will do my 3rd (hopefully final) sports therapy session tomorrow.  They told me they would be starting me running again, so I'm not sure if it will be C25K or their own plan, but I will keep watching your thread.  We can all use encouragement.  I had just gotten to the place where my breathing and pace was good, I was loving running and my leg goes.  Its been about six weeks since I have run.  I can't wait to start again!

Melinda

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    10. Sep 28, 2010 11:53 AM (in response to QueenKitty)

PS to Everyone - I repeated both Weeks 4 and 5.  I wanted to make sure I was comfortable with each week before I moved on.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...