Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

116003 Views 850 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2011 9:29 AM by edensacres RSS Go to original post 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 Previous Next
  • AGC525 Pro 62 posts since
    Jun 27, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    825. Aug 15, 2010 4:27 AM (in response to osca69)
    Re: Starting c25k 6/14/2010

Kim, thats fantasitc! Congratulations!!!! I bet you feel great, way to be an inspiration.

I went out and ran a 1.5 miles and felt good. My pace was just a little bit slower, but still in the 13 minute pace. I could have pushed it a little faster, but I didn't want to run out steam. I feel better than I have, I don't know why I was struggling so much the last few weeks. A few days ago I couldn't muster the will power to run past a mile without stopping, and here I just ran 1.5 miles twice in three days. I never had that dreaded feeling of tiring out and stopping, I just listened to my music and let my mind drift to different stuff just as if I was walking. I left the track with the feeling that I can't wait to get back out and run again, soemthing I haven't felt since probably the beginning of week 5. I'll head out tonight for a walk in the neighborhood if the rain holds off, and will shoot for 2 miles on Monday after work.

As a bonus I bought some new pants that are 6 inches smaller (48) and dug out some old shirts that are two sizes smaller (2XL) so thats a nice confidence booster. But still a ways to go! LOL I hope everyone is doing well and looking forward to how things are going.

Tony

Tony

C25K graduate, future Ironman

PR:

City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K (38:07)

Upcoming Races:

Operation Troop Appriciation 5K 11/7

Run for the Wounded Warrior 5 Mile 11/13

YMCA 20th Annual Turkey Trot 5 Mile 11/25

Dick's Sporting Goods Half Marathon 5/15

PNC Pittsburgh Sprint Triathlon 7/31

• TappingMama Amateur 40 posts since
    Jun 14, 2010
    826. Aug 16, 2010 3:11 AM (in response to AGC525)

KimM...Congratulations!  That is awesome!

Tony...Great job on being able to get new, smaller clothes!  What a great feeling!!!

I'm just checking in to keep myself held accountable.  I finally completed W8D3 yesterday.  I ended up having to walk for about 45 seconds after I ran 20 minutes.  Not sure what was the matter...I guess the heat.  I ran at noon which probably wasn't too smart.  It was around 98 degrees here.  I had a headache for the rest of the day.  Anyway, I can't believe I am starting week 9.  I bought three Jillian Michaels workout DVDs so that I can do those on the days that I don't run.  I am now on the third week of weighing the exact same amount.  Sooo maddening...I hope I lose something this week.

Have a great week, everyone!!!

*Kim*

Married to Rick (12-30-95)

Happy Mama to Ryan (12.5) and Raegan (9)

I love my pugs, too!  Max and Jack (3)

W8D3 Completed!

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    828. Aug 16, 2010 9:59 AM (in response to juju31)

Hi everyone,

Haven't  posted for awhile.  I have been having issues with my ITB/knee.  I was  trying to complete W6 and ended up running maybe 10 minutes Saturday and  walking the rest of the 3 miles home.  I have been icing, elevating  when possible and resting.  I was going to start self myofacial massage,  and my husband offered to massage my leg twice a day instead.  After  the very first time it felt much better.  So this morning thinking I am  doing the right thing I rode my bike.  It was great while I was doing it  and then the pain started.  I don't know if it's tendonitis or what.   So I am taking a week completely off in the hopes of healing this injury  .   I SO want to run.  I never thought I would reach a point with running  where breathing and heartrate are no trouble, and then my leg stops me .   I didn't start having these problems till I started doing different  lunges to build up my quads to prevent runners' knee.  I wonder......

I'm so glad to read your posts though........

Besides "No Need for Speed"  I also have been  reading Galloway's 2nd edition.  The funny thing is Bingham suggests  stretching after warm up and after a run.  John Galloway says the first  almost 20 years he ran, he never stretched.  He advises not to stretch  before or after a run but some other time of the day, and to massage  what you are going to stretch with your fingers to get the blood to that  area.  I'm wondering if maybe that's what I should have been doing.

Glad everyone is progressing so well,

Melinda

• faithintx Legend 250 posts since
    Jun 16, 2010
    829. Aug 16, 2010 9:09 PM (in response to QueenKitty)

Hi everyone,

Just got back from my trip to Ohio, after finishing finals week. (Tony, I got to hit the WW2 hanger at Wright-Patterson...it was amazing...).

It had been almost 2 weeks since I ran at all - just a crazy time. But this morning at the Hilton in Raleigh, NC, I hit the treadmill and did 2.3 miles. I'm really proud of myself for sucking it up and pushing it. It is SO MUCH EASIER running on a treadmill than outside! Dang! It was a huge morale booster! I needed that.

I have friends in town for the next 2 days, then school starts back up Thursday already. I have to take my nursing entrance exam on Tuesday. So it's still way busy. But I'm hoping to be able to get a routine going again.

Hope everyone is well.

Completed - W3D3

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't.....either way, you're right.

Do what is unnatural, until it becomes natural.

Medical fact - if you don't use it, you'll lose it.

Jun 27, 2010
    830. Aug 17, 2010 3:24 AM (in response to faithintx)

Faith - Thats great! That place is really amazing. Good luck with your exam and upcoming semester.

Well, I left work yesterday and headed to the local track to attempt a 2 mile run. When I got there a bunch of school kids were out there playing soccer or something, and the track was closed (that time of year, I guess) so I drove to the other track where I started at. Same thing. I felt dissapointed, since I was comfy running there. The waterfront trail along the river is nice, but lately with the 90% humidity here, it is truely unbearable. So I decided to run in the neighborhood. That's where I walk, and I've ran a mile there numerous times before, but there is plenty of hills (nothing too crazy). So I sucked it up and headed out. It was a little tricky guessing my pace since I had no idea where I should be at, but not having the luxury of a track, that's going to be the case in a race. After the first mile lap, I felt good and just kept pressing on. I really didn't have any pain or soreness anywhere, but torwards the end, I started to get a little cramp developing in my lower abdomen. It figures I was listening to Pandora radio, and every song stunk! So with about a 1/2 mile to go, I switched to the old reliable cadences and finished it out! I couldn't believe it! Never in my life had I ran so far. I was still on my usual 13 minute pace, which I thought was pretty good since I dealt with the hills and increased distance.

I'll be in Emmittsburg, Md this weekend at the National Fire Academy for a class, and it's about 15 minutes from Gettysburg, so I'm hoping to get a battlefield run in which I think would be amazing, especially early in the morning or something.

Tony

PR:

Upcoming Races:

Jun 27, 2010
    831. Aug 24, 2010 3:28 AM (in response to AGC525)

Hey folks -

Bit of a ghost town here! LOL

Just an update, While at class in Maryland I wasn't able to get the battlefield run in, but still knocked out two miles on a treadmill in the gym. I've ran plenty of times on a treadmill, but that was the first time since I've started this, and I have to say I really didn't like it. The fact I wasn't going anywhere really kind of made the time drag by. But dispite a few too many beers and lots of class time, it still felt good to push it out.

Last night after work I stopped at a city park that has lots of trails and a 1K oval, and I knocked out 2 1/2 miles in 33:31. I'm glad to see my pace (although slow) is staying consistant with the longer runs. I realize now that the 1-1 1/2 mile hurdle I couldn't get past was 90% mental. On about my second lap, I started to get a little burning in my legs and at times felt a little winded, but as long as I kept pushing through it was fine. I realize now I should have just "stuck it out" and kept running when I began to felt a little winded or whatever. If I really had to, I think I could of pushed out that extra half mile and done the 3 miles. Also when I finished I was beat but felt great, and by the time I got home I couldn't wait to get back out. Same great feelings as when I first started. Speaking of which, last night I went back in my C25K program and looked at the different days and intervals. I remember struggling to run 1:30 or 3:30, and being terrified of running 5:00. My, what a great feeling to see where I am at today.

Over the past few weeks I have been getting lightheaded episodes whenever standing up after sitting for a while or relaxing. I went to see my doctor and she cut my BP med dosage in half, and that has seemed to do the trick. It's back in the 110/76 range so hopefully that condition will be in my rear view mirror like so many other problems that I had with being obese. I'm also out of the 300 club, although slightly, but none the less. LOL

I found a local 5K a week after my first one in September, and I registered for it. So that's two...LOL

It's ok that folks haven't been posting, I know life is busy especially since summer is winding down. I just hope everyone is doing well and continuing thier training and healthy habits. I certainly couldn't be this close to the end without all of your motivation and support. Thank you so much and I miss you guys!

Tony

Tony

PR:

Upcoming Races:

• belakz Amateur 29 posts since
    Jan 23, 2009
    832. Aug 24, 2010 6:13 AM (in response to juju31)

Hi Everyone,

I completed the C25k on August 19th and August 21st ran 30 minutes for the first time in a 5k.  There were 4 hills, was not expecting that, gives me something to work on for next year!!!  My pace is slow so I walked part of it, but ran across the finish line.  I had walked a 5k in July, this one I completed in approx 44min (official times have not been posted).  I signed up for another 5k in September, and working on distance and speed.  Thanks to everyone for their support and sharing your stories it helped.

Tony:  Good to hear you are continuing and cutting back on the BP meds.  Good luck with your 5k in Sept, it is a great motivator and will be fun.

Hope to hear from others soon and good luck.

Kim B

Kim

"That which does not kill me, makes be stronger"

Friedrich Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols, 1888

C25K Finished 8/19/2010

MAYC 5k Aug 21, 2010 44:38 PR

• osca69 Amateur 16 posts since
    Jul 1, 2010
    833. Aug 24, 2010 7:06 AM (in response to belakz)

Way to keep running Tony.  Kudos to you for getting below that 300 mark.

Kim B - Yay.  Congrats on finishing the c25k.  Those hills are tough when we aren't used to them.

Since I completed it, I have kept running, but not three days a week like I was before.  I was more disciplined knowing I had a goal to complete.  I ran for 40 minutes last night.  That's the most I have ever ran at one time.  It helped that I had two other ladies running with me.  So much easier with a running buddy.  I told them to go ahead if I was slowing them down, but they said they were at a comfortable pace.

Everyone, Keep It Up.  You have come too far to stop now........Don't know if anyone is logging in here anymore but a handful.

Have a great day.

KimM

• NerdyRunningMama Rookie 7 posts since
    Jun 25, 2010
    834. Aug 26, 2010 11:31 AM (in response to osca69)

I haven't been to active on the forums, but I'm checking in today to make myself accountable.

I went on vacations for two weeks, followed by two weeks being sick with sinus infection (which isn't quite over yet), and I have not run during all that time.  I did walk and I was quite active during my vacations with other activities, but I'm quite disappointed with myself that I didn't stay motivated with my running schedule. 

I plan to run again this weekend, as I am starting to feel a little better.  Depending on how I feel, I will probably restart either W4 or W5D1.

Just out of curiosity, who here has tried running barefoot or with minimalist shoes?  I did quite a lot of reading about it recently and I think I'll give it a try.

Marie-Pier

Proud mama to Shawn (6) and Emily (3).

Gadget lover.

C25K started 2010-06-13

W5D1 completed!

Jun 27, 2010
    835. Sep 5, 2010 3:41 AM (in response to NerdyRunningMama)

Well, I did it.

I was originally waiting to do the race at the end of the month with a bunch of friends, but I wanted to do one myself just to see how it would go. So I registered for the Steelers 5K on 9/4/10. It was fun going to pick up my packet and actially getting a bib number with my name on it (which is something I thought I would never see!) The race was pretty flat, and looped around Heinz Field (where the Steelers play), and down past PNC Park (where the Pirates play) and back down, finishing on the 50 yard line in the stadium. It was also nice and cool, maybe 65 and partly cloudy. Prior to the race I was so nervous, and had a severe case of the butterflies. It was a little disheartening when it started and tons of people passed me, but once the heard thinned out, it was nice and open. Some people passed me, I passed some and it felt good the whole time. The one thing that was real nice was having a actual "finish line" and I wasn't running in circles on a track or around the block. Enjoying the skyline of Pittsburgh and the stadiums made it go by quick. I finished with a 42:47, which was a little slow for my average pace but I think I was so terrified of having to stop and walk for a portion. So getting under 40 minutes is something very managable for me and my next task. As soon as I was getting close to the stadium I picked up the pace and finished strong. There wasn't a lot of people there, but it was great having people clap and ring bells for you. That is a great motivator to push it out!! I just can't believe I'm a C25K graduate now, I remember struggling to run for a minute in week 1...and back in February, I would be winded and have back pain from walking a block. It's an amazing feeling to get that runners high. After crossing the finish line and watching myself do so in the Steelers Jumbotron I realized what I had done, and I actually broke down and started crying. The next step is improving my time with the next couple 5K's, and maybe shooting for a 10K next year. I'm down to 296 at the last weigh in (from 380 back in February) and my doctor has cut my BP meds in half, so the road is still being travelled but going good.

I had a lot of support from friends and family for this healthy endevour, and you guys are certainly part of it. I want to thank you guys so much for allowing me to be part of this group and being so friendly and supportive. THANK YOU!!!!!!!

I hope everyone here is doing well and I wish everyone the very best. I'm friends with some of you on Facebook, so it'll be nice keeping touch. And of course I'll still be here on the forums.

Tony

Tony

PR:

Upcoming Races:

Jun 11, 2010
    836. Sep 21, 2010 10:51 AM (in response to AGC525)

Wow!  Where did everybody go?  Hello?

Hi Everyone,

It's  been a few weeks since I've posted.  My IT Band injury was getting  better but my knee was not.  Finally broke down and went to an  orthopedic.  I was soooo afraid they were going to tell me I needed a  knee.  The doctor showed me the x-ray of both my knees, she said my  arthritis hasn't progressed much and my knees look good.   She  said I did all the right things for my IT band, now I have a knee cap  issue.  She sent me to physical therapy and said I would be running  again in a few weeks.  Hooray!!!  The doc changed my anti-inflammatory  from ibuprofen to touvaren (sp) and within a couple hours 80% of my pain  was gone.  I had my 2nd physical therapy yesterday and we worked on  strengthening the small muscles around my hips.  I really must have  needed it because I woke up today sore.  One more physical therapy and  they are supposed to give me a plan to run again.

I don't know whether they will tell me to pick up C25K again, or have a plan of their own for me.  As long as I can get running again I don't care who's plan it is.

Hope you are all doing well.  Please post and tell us what you've been up to.  If you haven't been running....you could start again with me!

Melinda

• AngelSmitty Amateur 28 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    837. Sep 27, 2010 5:19 PM (in response to QueenKitty)

I'll start up again with you!  It has been a lonnnnnng time since I have jogged, but after stepping on the scale and seeing my weight back up 6 out of the 7 pounds I had lost, it is about time I start it up again.  I just started dancing again, and it was a huge wake up call when I saw myself in the mirror in dance clothes and had to jump around with all this weight.  Before, I felt a big difference even completing 4 weeks of the C25K.  I felt stronger, my pants in my hip area felt looser, and I overall felt more healthy with more energy.  I'm hoping now that summer is gone (and with it, the 90+ degree heat), I won't have any excuses not to keep with it.  We'll see...no promises, but I'm going to try.   Did anyone else not complete it and is still trying?

Jun 11, 2010
    838. Sep 28, 2010 11:35 AM (in response to AngelSmitty)

AngelSmitty - That would be great!  I go for my last PT tomorrow, so I should know when I can start to run.  I don't know if they are going to give me their own "plan" or just tell me where I can restart C25K, whether its back to W1D1 or somewhere in between.  But I will let you know and we can do it together.

I don't know where everyone else on this thread went....oh well, you and I will keep each other going to the finish!  Have you checked out any of the other threads?  I read "50 and over" and "Calling All Penquins". 

Well I'll get back to you on Thursday and hopefully give you a date I'll be starting again

Melinda

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...