Skip navigation

115089 Views 485 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2012 12:28 PM by runningangelinvt RSS Go to original post 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 Previous Next
  • Ms_Athena Amateur 12 posts since
    Sep 16, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    450. Sep 22, 2010 12:45 PM (in response to NEMomof2)
    Re: Any other slow, overweight newbie triathletes?

Your welcome!!!

I found that ALL womens tri apparel runs small..  If you have a bike store or running store in your area check them out so you can just try on things.  They will also give good advice on the bike also.   I have a large tummy so the one piece outfit look pretty funny on me and I found that I usually wait to long to get to a bathroom or portapotty and so two piece work better.

I got a book on bike maintance (an ebook) so I can learn to do my own stuff.  another thing did was have some cheap aero bars put on my bike..  I love them.. for straight stretches it is wonderful to be able to rest in a different position and I have arthritis in my hands so they help to relieve the pressure..  My bike is a road bike though..  someday go to a bike store and ask to be fitted so you know what size bike is good for you.  that way when you watch for bike sales or ebay you will know what size to get..  some ebay sellers will do free shipping...  good way to get a road bike for lesss money than your local bike store..

This is a good time to look for things as the season is going to start winding down through the winter and sellers are going to be looking to clear out inventory...  Even brand name places will drastically lower prices.

Another thing I thought of is some brands of clothes are not comfortable at all.   Zoot is a wonderful brand and so is Danskin

Even though I am now divorced I learned alot from my ex..  He has about 3 or 4 tri bikes,,  He buys parts on ebay and can build tri and road bikes for around 200...   I did appreciate all the knowledge I gained..   When i met him I was training for the Danskin and he helped alot with the little things..

When you go to set up your bike and area in the transition area, take a two towels.  lay one out and put your belongings on it in the order you will use them..  the extra towel is to dry your feet if you want..  but put bike shoes, socks, gloves, glasses, helmet in order and then in back of that put running shoes and a cap..  Have water bottles loaded and ready.. A small bag on the bike can hold a food bar, chapstick..   and slather good with strong waterproof sunscreen..  that extra towel can go on the run with you to wipe sweat or if it is a long tri,, you may be glad you have it incase of "being ill"...

I can't wait for next summer now...  just talking about gets me excited and am with the training and diet,,  I want to look GOOD for when I run into my ex and his very young girlfriend..  LOL

oh and the reason for the bike shoes and pedals.  with regular pedals you can only push in one direction,, with the others you push down and pull up on the pedal, work different muscles and you get more speed and power...   ask at spinning class what type they have pedals for so you get the matching clips in your bike shoes.  I just have the basic ones that dont move except for when you unhook.  There are more expensive ones that you can move your heel to the inside or outside while your pedaling but those are usually not what is available at spin class.

they make dvd's for spinning at home if you have a trainer and they work your butt off...  Check your library and they may have some to try out..  spinervals is the first brand coming to mind but there are others.  gives you something to look at while sitting there spinning and going nowhere..  LOL

• Sophile Amateur 10 posts since
    Sep 9, 2009
    451. Sep 22, 2010 2:44 PM (in response to NEMomof2)

Congratulations 'NEMomof2' on your first tri (try)! I realize that you've already received much input  from the others, so I'll try not to repeat. However, you're in luck, the bike is 'my thing' (the swim is my struggle). Underestimating the bike is really no surprise for anyone who has not done at least a little cycling. I've seen seasoned athletes (e.g. football, baseball, etc.) give cycling a try, only to find that their 'bike muscles' are not quite like their others. Every event in triathlons requires different muscle groups, and even the overlapping ones don't coincide too much. Therefore, expect that you will have some residual soreness in areas you haven't "built up", yet. THIS WILL SUBSIDE, though. Notice how I say "yet", as this ought to be the mentality that you approach tri's with. My constant mantra: "I'm not as good as I need to be in the swim...YET!"

This brings me to my second point -  the bike was LAST? Usually, even in a 'reverse' sprint, it's in the middle. Anyway, roll with it, embrace the diversity in formats, as it can only HELP you in multi-sports. Kudos on the medal from your kids (I know this can often be the most important one). Remember though, there are EXCELLENT programs for youth tri's, and they are "medal heavy". It's fun, it's healthy, and it can be a positive way for kids to get into sports/competition without needing to make the "varsity squad", like other sports. About the "pro's", you'll find that they are quite congenial. They often lack the 'holier-than-thou' attitudes because they aren't Michael Jordan, or getting paid millions a year. Besides, having 100's or even 1000's of solid professionals is great and all, but having millions of Americans being a 'participator' instead of being a 'spectator', is priceless (for the health of our country).

The numbers on the body? Awesome proof of your accomplishment, isn't it? Since they usually put the age on your calf, it's ULTRA-gratifying to have 19-year olds, half of your age, cop a gander at the age of the guy who just blew by them (for me, usually on the bike). Also, the new bike issue - I realize new bikes can be a bit daunting (price wise), but I encourage you to 'keep the feelers out' for them. Often, you can find someone who is getting rid of a decent starting ride, as they are at the level where THEY are moving up in tri's, and looking to make a new purchase. Besides, they can usually relate to people just starting out, so they'll be pretty lenient on pricing (just remember, they are trying to purchase the 'next level', so they need some money, too).

I can definitely assure you that 'the efficient application of power' to your pedals is most certainly improved, as you are directly applying the power from your legs, with almost no loss to friction, therefore NO wasted energy! Every time your leg pushes down, and your foot slips, even a little, that's wasted energy. Additionally, your muscle groups must react to these minor 'slips', thereby taxing them even more (calves,etc.). In other words, your feet must "fight" to stay on the pedals (more wasted energy).

Bike shorts can make consistent riding much more comfortable. There are good cycling shorts available, especially for women. I'm not quite sure if you were trying to say that guys can't/don't experience pain 'in that area', but I can assure you that WE DO! However,(and this is the key) once you're buns begin to develop a tolerance, this pain will subside. If I go more than a few weeks without riding my bike, I will sometimes get brief soreness. Furthermore, if it really bothers you, there are many products on the market to deal with and minimize "the friction". One I've found is from a pro mountain biker I know named Pua - it is called Okole, Hawaiian herbs, etc. (all I know is that everyone on our tri team swears by it). She does endurance events, so I know she has the expertise on such products.

Finally, spinning is fine for base conditioning help, but remember that a host of other muscles are used to balance and handle the bike, so using it for a majority of your training may not be ideal. Besides, a big part of what I've learned to enjoy about my rides is the wind in my hair, the sights, the sounds, the fresh air...going somewhere! But, if that works for you, keep it up. Remember, 'constant improvement', 25lbs. to 20, 20 to 15, and so on. before long, you'll be setting entirely new goals (times), especially, once you start to improve in the areas you originally struggled in. Good luck on future tri's.

• flyers92 Amateur 9 posts since
    Jan 2, 2008
    453. Sep 29, 2010 10:02 AM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Happy Weds.

Packratt: Congrats on your race and thanks for sharing your photos.  You did great!!!!   Keep up the Great work.

JoAnn: How did you HM go on Saturday?  I am sure you did great!  I have my 1st HM on 11/7/10 in Sunny AZ!

Here in AZ the season doesn't seem to stop...Great weather here for Tri's.

Congrats to all that completed their tri's, you all did great and good luck to everyone that still has some left to do.  My next Tri is in Mission Bay, CA 10/17/10 in open water but I know there are no sharks in the Bay (one of my fears with open water) so I should do fine...lol...My only fear is if I am going to need a wetsuit and if the water is too cold, not being able to find one in my size since I am overweight but I will take it as it comes....

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible - My Personal MANTRA

7/11/2010 - 1st Triathlon - Chino Valley, AZ - Placed 1st in My Division

9/26/2010 - 5k for City of Hope - Phoenix AZ

10/3/2010 - ZUMBAthon - Phoenix AZ

10/10/2010 - 5k for Susan Koman - Phoenix AZ

10/17/2010 - Sprint Tri in San Diego CA

11/7/2010 - 1/2 Marathon - Women's Running Magazine - Scottsdale/Tempe AZ

11/14/2010 - 5k Irongirl - Tempe AZ

11/25/2010 - Sprint Tri - Phoenix, AZ

• MCook1 Rookie 6 posts since
    May 18, 2010

I just wanted to say congratulations to everyone on their first tri-atholons... I just finished my first one last Sunday. I loved it! My swim time was terrible, but the run and the bike were about average for the race.

I was just wondering if anyone knows about the Cape Cod marathon. I thought I signed up for the half marathon, but I just found out I registered for the full Marathon, and I can't switch over.

• Packratt Expert 47 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    456. Oct 3, 2010 10:34 PM (in response to MCook1)

Ok, so here is my race report for my first ever 5k:

I never did feel fully ready for the Tulsa Zoo Run on October 2, 2010.  I continued to train the two weeks between the Run for Life and the Zoo Run, but nothing seemed to quite gel for me.  All last week my girlfriend and I discussed my race.  Because of her work obligations and the last couple of weeks leaving her tired, she was not going to be able to make it to see my finish, but she told me she had complete faith in me.  Friday night, she asked me several times how I was feeling about it and told me several times that I’d do fine.  Finally, I told her I’d be fine and sent her on home as I started preparing for my race. 

A few days before, I had found some 12-oz bottles of Gatorade and thought “brilliant! These are a size where I can carry them on the run in my pockets and they won’t change my balance or anything.  So I bought an 8-pack and on Friday, I started pre-hydrating due to the problems I had run into for my 1-mile fun run two weeks ago.  I drank plenty of water and added two of these bottles to my freshly hydrated self.  I also ate significantly better than before, although I didn’t do the spaghetti like I had planned.  After my girlfriend left, I took one of the empty bottles and poured half a new bottle into it and filled both bottles the rest of the way up with water.  This cut the syrupiness of the Gatorade to a point that I hoped would be drinkable on the run. 

When I got up in the morning, I started getting ready for my run.  The first thing I did was weigh.  My goal, weight-wise, was to be under 450 pounds.  I weighed 450.4.  Close enough in my book.

I, then, slathered generous amounts of Icy Hot on my knees and on my shoulder… I’ve had for many years a grade 2 AC separation and it acts up on the colder mornings.  This morning was just such a morning with the 6am temperature being near 50 degrees.  I also put some Butt Paste on my inner thighs where I had some rubbing from other runs.  Then I put on my Cho-Pat knee strap and wrapped both of my knees tightly.  I got the rest of the way dressed and went ahead and attached my bib to my shirt, a simple old tee that I had just ripped the arms off of to give me more freedom.  Finally, I pulled on a waffle Henley in order to keep my arms warm and grabbed my phone, a stick of gum, my container of blueberries and milk and my two Gatorade premixed bottles and I was out the door. 

I had intended to stop by one of the running stores in Tulsa and grab a couple of those gel packs a day earlier, but I never made it.  Likewise for some pre-race Imodium, just to make sure I didn’t end up a victim of the runner’s runs.  So on my way to the race, I stopped into the nearest Quik Trip (a convenience store chain big in Tulsa) and picked up a couple of power bars and some Imodium.  But I worried about my ability to eat this bars when I was tired and dry of mouth, so I also picked up some gummy sharks which were liquid-filled.  I reasoned that these would keep my mouth moist if I needed them and provide the shot of energy I needed, even if there was a bit of a crash later.  Man, I am really glad of this last minute decision, as it ended up being exactly what I needed when I got to that situation.

Arriving at the zoo half an hour before the pre-race rally, I was stunned by the amount of people there were.  I asked where I might park that was close up and explained my physical limitations to the parking guide and then managed to get parked someplace fairly close to the zoo entrance.  This would be a very important thing after the race and again, I am glad that I was able to get such a favorable location (they were sending people down to the end of the parking lot).

As I sat in my truck, contemplating the madness that I was about to undertake, I picked up and started eating my blueberries and milk.  This has become a pre-race ritual for me as the combination seems perfect for me to get the job done.  I drank some water and then got out and picked up my timing chip.  Now I just had to wait for an hour before my run would begin.  While I was waiting, one of the 10k runners, Donnie, struck up a conversation with me.  We talked about how I started and that this was my first 5k and other things.

As time approached, I moved over to the starting line.  It was a pretty incredible sight to see everyone lined up.  There were over 200 runners for the 5k, including a local Army Medical unit, who were lined up in formation.  Shortly, the gun fired and we were on our way.  I walked up to the timing mats then started in a soft jog.  Shortly, I heard the Army unit coming up singing cadences.  As always, I found the cadences inspiring and so I kept on running further than I had planned to, thinking that this might be a mistake, but I didn’t want to stop running till the unit had passed me. 

This was a full route run, not an out and back.  But the scenery was nice and so I just kept putting one foot in front of the other.  Before I knew it, I had passed the first kilometer and was actually feeling pretty good.  I mostly walked after that initial run off the mats, but every kilometer I had decided to run for at least 1 minute.  So once I passed the 1k mark, I broke into a little jog, listening to my music to help me keep my pace and keep me pumped up. 

I was really moved by all the well-wishers on the course.  Almost everyone who passed me gave me a good job or a keep it up.  It was very inspiring.  The second kilometer was not as well marked, but I estimated the distance and made my jog.  I was finally starting to wear down and I started looking for someplace I could sit down for a minute.  But once I got out from the picnic areas of the park, there was really no place unless I wanted to park myself on the grass.  Then I was pretty sure I wouldn’t be getting back up.  So I kept going.  As I neared the half way point, I saw the first water station and knew I could make it to the water station.  I managed to make it all the way to the midway point and although I had been drinking my Gatorade mix along the way, I took a cup of water and sat down for just about 90 seconds or so. 

Moving on from the water station, I continued on the route, managing a little more jogging down the road for kilometer 3.  It was about this time that the 10k runners started passing me, as both races ended in the same location.  This was just the first loop for them.  Again, I was nearly overwhelmed by all the encouragement I was receiving.  I was already dead last for the 5k race, but these runners were making me feel like I was a veteran runner. 

I made a brief pause to stretch out my legs as I was about to cross into rougher terrain, taking just 15 or 20 seconds.  Then I crossed the street onto the service road leading to the back of the zoo.  The second water station came into view quickly, just ¾ of a mile from the finish line.  Again, I stopped and sat down while drinking my water.  This was only my second sit-down on this run, far fewer in a greater distance than I had gone to date.

So, I got up and got moving again.  This is the point where the previously flat court switched up on me.  The hills weren’t bad, that is to say they were not steep.  But they were longer than I would have liked.  I labored up the first one, pausing for a moment against a nearby fence and drank some more of my Gatorade and ate a couple of gummies while I was at it.  I was running out of energy, my legs weren’t working the way I wanted them and my feet were beginning to scream at me.  Moving again, I made it to the top of the hill and made the corner. 

I started thanking God for each step He let me take as I slogged through the back end of the course.  I was getting close now, finally reaching the last kilometer.  I knew that all the training I had done in the past couple of weeks had paid its dividends and now I was simply running on grace.

The last 1000 meters was the hardest.  I think I wasn’t ever prepared for it.  I ended up taking 3 more breaks, sitting down at each one, but getting back up to slog on to the next one.  The last break I took was within site of the finish line, just 150 meters away – up the last hill.  I steeled myself and got back up and started up the hill.  As I am coming up the hill, I see Donnie standing on the side and he starts really cheering me on.  From out of nowhere, energy just started flooding into me and each step became stronger and faster.  I past the 50 meter mark and picked up the pace even more.  Finally, with about 10 meters to go, I broke out into my final run.  Crossing the finish line and raising my hands in the air, I ran across all of the pads.  I was overwhelmed by the amount of cheering.  Only a couple of people there knew me but it was the whole crowd that was cheering.  It really warmed my heart; even the Army guys were cheering and giving me good jobs.

After the race, I had asked the race medic to check my blood pressure.  I was happy to see it was 130/80.  After dragging my happy but home, I checked my weight again.  I was down to 448 even.  I’d lost 2.4 pounds from the dehydration of the run.

I'm sorry, I don't have any pictures from this race.

Will Run 4 Food Fun Run (first run) - 1k-(19:46)  5Jun2010 472# | Tulsa Zoo Run 5k (first 5k - 1:34:38) -  2Oct2010 450# | John 3:16 Mission 5k (1:32:15) PR - 23 October 2010 448# | Run Into The New Year 5k (1:11:57) PR - 31 December 2010 427#

UHC 2011 Indoor Triathlon - 13Feb2011 10 Min S - 291 meters, 30 Min B - 4.57 miles, 20 Min R - 0.96 miles. 

- Total points accumulated was 113.2. Placed 3rd in Age Group: 40-49. 426#.

Chili Day Indoor Triathlon - Mar 2011 S 300 yds(10:38 including T1), B 8 mi(22:02), R 2 mi(44:55) (Total Time 1:17:35) 426#

St. Paddy's Day 5k 12 March 2011 (1:14:31) 425# | Race Against Racism 5k  30April

• Fit4mee Expert 58 posts since
    Feb 16, 2010

Hey all...not much activity on here but thought the questions I have fit this forum.  My FIRST sprint triathlon is a week from today!  I've never even SEEN a triathon....lol!   I was wondering, do you put your rear tire in the rack instead of the front?  If I get there early enough, is there a "prefered" place to pick a spot in the transition area?  From the map it looks like the bike start and the run start are about equal distance (but in opposite directions) taking off from the transition area.  And..... I've practiced bricks and never seem to get my feet dried off enough.  I don't have a problem putting on my socks (with enough glide on them!) but the socks are wet from the feet....is that going to be a problem and/or is there a trick to drying the feet off that I don't know???  Water seems to keep running down from off the suit, etc.  I know these questions are trivial and I'll probably laugh at them later!  (I think it's the nerves setting in!)

I didn't start getting nervous until today really.  And now I'm wondering...."WHAT IN THE WORLD WAS I THINKING??"   HA!!

thanks for any advice!

gail 

Feb 16, 2010

Thanks, Jo Ann!  You've been such an inspiration on here (and the 50's and beyond thread!).  You're helping many that you probably don't even realize! 

Your information was great!  The tri is about an hour's drive north and I've been up there once and drove the bike route...yeah....some pretty good hills on the back end!  They did not post the run route online, however, I go back up there Wed. 6-8 p.m. to pick up my packet and hopefully get it then and drive both before it gets dark.

gail

• Sophile Amateur 10 posts since
    Sep 9, 2009
    461. Oct 18, 2010 1:41 PM (in response to Fit4mee)

Hello Gail, congratulations on your first tri (1st TRY). I see Jasmine already gave you a bit o' advice, solid; I just thought I'd throw in a few more cents on that. I notice that many others have a very different concept regarding their transition area. Personally, I use a towel for the transitions. Having a distinctive one can really help you find YOUR spot more easily; I usually use my UCLA towel for the distinctive blue and gold (just be careful, this backfired on me when I did the UCLA triathlon ).Doing so, I not only sit directly on the towel while I'm getting my other gear on, which consequently dries my backside (even more than 'the jiggling'); but I also dry my feet off even more with the towel before I put the cycling stuff on (plus an extra wipe of the legs to prevent drippage). Once you're on the bike a minute or two, any drops have completely dried, or at the very least won't run down to your footwear.

Another thing, on the transition area: I use many visualization techniques to 'run through' transitions, etc. One way I use this, is to stand right AT your transition area spot, and visualize yourself running into the transition area, which turns you have to take to get to YOUR spot. Once you get to your spot, make a mental map of where you are in relation to the rest of the transition area, exit should be no problem. I have usually run through the 'transition visualization' (the actual changing of the gear) several times - days before, the night before, and while setting up the transition spot that morning. Each of these routines tends to help out in the actual race, but also greatly reduces much of the stress and anxiety that sets in before the race. I hope some of this helped, good luck on future tris.

Grady

Feb 16, 2010
    462. Oct 18, 2010 4:11 PM (in response to Sophile)

Grady....thanks for the advice!  The UCLA towel at a UCLA event was pretty funny.   It's stories like these that have helped calm the case of nerves that were trying to set in yesterday!  I also picked up and was reading again Triathloning for Ordinary Mortals by Steven Jonas.  He reminded me that one of my major goals in attempting a tri is to have FUN.   I do have a pretty bright multi-colored towel I've used to practice so yeah....I'm going with a towel.

A friend of mine said she also tied a bright colored bandana on her  bike to help distinguish it in the transition area.  Hmmm......

I like the visualization idea.  I am definitely a "visual" learner so mapping everything out seems like a good fit.  Great idea, thanks!

gail 

• SHH4E Expert 58 posts since
    Feb 4, 2010
    463. Oct 19, 2010 3:33 PM (in response to Packratt)

GREAT JOB PACKRATT, KEEP UP THE GREAT TRAINING AND RACES...YOU ARE AN INSPIRATION!

Bills Beer Run,  Nokomis Beach FL  10/31/10   5miles    50:23

Sharks Siesta Key Triathlon, Sarasota FL  10/3/10  (0.5m swim,13m bike, 5K)  1:48:51

Tropical Splash H2Open, Siesta Key, Sarasota FL    1K open water swim 10/2/10   29:28

Venice FL Triathlon  9/4/10   (0.25mile swim,8mile bike, 5k)  1:25:09                

Mack Cycle Triathlon 8/15/10   (0.25 mile swim,10mile bike, 5k), Miami FL  1:29:59   

Inaugural Shark Tooth 10k,  4/10/10Venice FL   1:08:17

Sarasota FL Half Marathon   March 14 2010    2:38:16

Oscar Sherer 5k, Osprey FL  2/20/10    33:39

Ringling Bridge Run, Sarasota FL  1/23/10   4miles   44:49  (First Race Ever!)

• SHH4E Expert 58 posts since
    Feb 4, 2010
    464. Oct 19, 2010 3:38 PM (in response to Fit4mee)

CONGRATS GAIL ON YOUR TRI AND THANX GRADY FOR GREAT ADVICE.  NEW TIPS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME AND HELPFUL TO A NEW TRIATHLETE LIKE MYSELF.....ROCK ON EVERYONE! YOU ARE ALL AN INSPIRATION! RITA

Bills Beer Run,  Nokomis Beach FL  10/31/10   5miles    50:23

Sharks Siesta Key Triathlon, Sarasota FL  10/3/10  (0.5m swim,13m bike, 5K)  1:48:51

Tropical Splash H2Open, Siesta Key, Sarasota FL    1K open water swim 10/2/10   29:28

Venice FL Triathlon  9/4/10   (0.25mile swim,8mile bike, 5k)  1:25:09                

Mack Cycle Triathlon 8/15/10   (0.25 mile swim,10mile bike, 5k), Miami FL  1:29:59   

Inaugural Shark Tooth 10k,  4/10/10Venice FL   1:08:17

Sarasota FL Half Marathon   March 14 2010    2:38:16

Oscar Sherer 5k, Osprey FL  2/20/10    33:39

Ringling Bridge Run, Sarasota FL  1/23/10   4miles   44:49  (First Race Ever!)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...