Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

894 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2010 3:36 PM by Surfing_Vol RSS
BradThornquist Rookie 1 posts since
Sep 18, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 29, 2010 1:53 PM

Methods to help deal with Humidity

I'm looking for advice on what I can do to reduce the impact of higher humidity when running.

I recently relocated from Long Beach, CA to the North Houston TX area for work.  I've been running mostly 5K's for about 13 mos in Long Beach (always able to run all the way through with energy to spare) and was in the process of graduating up to 10K's when I relocated recently.  Last weekend I ran my first 5K Trail Run on the beautiful campgrounds at Conroe TX's YMCA.  During the event I had to walk portions of the course, and drank A LOT more water (I was wearing a water belt) then I used to.  I'm amazed at the impact that humidity / heat makes.  I'm determined to run 10Ks in 2011, but am looking for any advise/secrets anyone is willing to share on how best to train in these conditions.

If your in the Houston area and run at area 5K, 10Ks, I'll see you on the course!

• urun2me Pro 194 posts since
    Jun 7, 2010
    1. Sep 29, 2010 2:28 PM (in response to BradThornquist)
    Re: Methods to help deal with Humidity

Your post made me laugh! It's been so humid in San Antonio this summer that we all joke, "when did we move to Houston?" So I understand your pain! The brutal humidity takes a toll on a runner. My only suggestion is to stay hydrated and not expect personal best times when the humidity is high. Eventually your body will acclimate, to a point. I run just as the sun comes up to at least avoid some of the high temperatures.

Be patient. Fall is coming and it will get better. Welcome to the great state of Texas!

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    2. Sep 29, 2010 3:36 PM (in response to BradThornquist)

BradThornquist wrote:

I'm looking for advice on what I can do to reduce the impact of higher humidity when running.

I recently relocated from Long Beach, CA to the North Houston TX area for work.  I've been running mostly 5K's for about 13 mos in Long Beach (always able to run all the way through with energy to spare) and was in the process of graduating up to 10K's when I relocated recently.  Last weekend I ran my first 5K Trail Run on the beautiful campgrounds at Conroe TX's YMCA.  During the event I had to walk portions of the course, and drank A LOT more water (I was wearing a water belt) then I used to.  I'm amazed at the impact that humidity / heat makes.  I'm determined to run 10Ks in 2011, but am looking for any advise/secrets anyone is willing to share on how best to train in these conditions.

If your in the Houston area and run at area 5K, 10Ks, I'll see you on the course!

Having b!tched and moaned about the heat and humidity all summer and how it slowed me down, I'm with you on this.

Here's what I did: I ran early in the morning.  Unfortunately, it's now dark when I start (and finish) running.

Other things that can help include using drinking water to cool yourself off -- I dump it on my head on long runs or in races.

Another option, which is sneaky and clever -- putting ice in a hand-held water bottle.  That is really effective for cooling you down.

The last thing that you can do is wait.  Time will take care of all but the worst (HAH!).

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• JakeChewToy Amateur 14 posts since
    Sep 25, 2010
    3. Sep 29, 2010 3:37 PM (in response to urun2me)

here in Florida panhandle, we went from 89% humidity 3 days ago to 54%.  I know it is too good to last, but BOY am I enjoying it!  Summer around here is April to October so October to March is when the big strides are made on mileage etc...at least for me.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...