Skip navigation

1621 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2010 7:43 PM by Mongoos3
kane09 Amateur 9 posts since
Sep 29, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 29, 2010 5:03 PM

How do I beat a player 1 on 1 with only a little space?

I am a sophomore. I have a 90% chance a making varsity at my school, but that means that i will be playing guys a lot stronger than me. I can handle it because i play with a bunch a older cats at the YMCA all the time. I'm not really used to scoring a lot but i have a good jump shot and I'm pretty quick. My coach told me today that he wants me scoring in double figures almost every game. I told me, " You play too passive, I want you to think shoot first, pass second."  I never heard a coach say that before. I need to know, what moves i can use to beat a man 1 on 1 without dragging a help defender. Its easy when i play 1 on 1 with just me and someone else but I don't know what to do when i play with 9 others and spacing becomes limited.

• Sportskrazed15 Amateur 31 posts since
    Feb 15, 2010

Jab step... if you jab once with your strong foot and they don't react then go right by them.

If they slide over towards that side then fake that way and go the other way.

If they sag off then you have an open J.

• DFENSE808 Pro 126 posts since
    Jun 5, 2010

You could use your team mates. Have a pick set,and pass and cut to the hoop ( alot of times we mve faster without the ball). If not, dribbling skill may need to be kicked to the next level.  Change levels and speeds on your opponent. Take it hard to go by them, as soon as you got them on their heels, pull up, take your shot. or pull up, pump fake, step through and take our shot.  Keep practicing your one on one, but challenge yourself by setting scoring move goals.  Try and score on your opponent in 4 moves, than 3 moves, and so and so forth. Good luck and have a great year.

• Mongoos3 Amateur 5 posts since
    Sep 30, 2010

Some people say that fadeaways are overrated, but being able to cross someone up, make them look like a fool and then pulling up for a jump shot is a great way to pull off a good shot while not driving (having a help defender come).

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...