Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1792 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2010 2:26 PM by flamomof3 RSS
Forrest Duck Pro 121 posts since
May 6, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 8, 2009 9:34 AM

I'm Puzzled

First, let me celebrate a little.  I completed my first 5k with 100% running!  Hooah!

Two weeks ago I new I was very close to accomplishing that, but a couple of hills got the better of me.  So, that was my goal this morning...run the whole thing.

Here's the puzzle.  You can see below that I finished in about the same time as I did two weeks ago.  I figured that without the walking my time would take care of itself, hence the goal of finishing in 31 minutes.  I was sure disappointed when the clock came in view and it was already reading 31+ minutes.

I felt like my pace was about the same as the last race, and I concentrated on maintaining my pace and resisted speading up until the finish was near.  Logically, it seems that I kept my pace too slow, but it just doesn't add up in my mind.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Finish well!

• spicegeek Community Moderator 2,563 posts since
    Jan 14, 2007
    1. Aug 8, 2009 10:35 AM (in response to Forrest Duck)
    Re: I'm Puzzled

Was this a chip timed ( start and finish mat ) race ? It easy to gain or lose time at the starting mat

Was the course the same ?

Many thing effect performace

Your nutrition and hydration the day before and the day of the event

sleep levels

environment - heat , humidity, hills

mental - at you in the zone

Walk breaks don`t slow you down that much especially if they are short - and you tend to set off at a quicker pace at least for a min or so after the walk break becuase your heart rate has come down  - I will always do better on a 10K if I stop for water at the half way point 

NYC Marathon          Nov 1 2009     -   4:03:13 ( 9:17 mm )

NYC Half Marathon   Aug 16 2009   -   1:55:38 ( 8:49 mm )

1 mile -  7:07                             10K     - 52:58 ( 8:32 mm)

4 mile - 31:35 ( 7:53 mm)          8K      - 42:28 ( 8:32 mm)

15K -     1:22:02 ( 8:49 mm)

Find the Half Marathon Team on FACEBOOK

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    3. Aug 9, 2009 4:25 PM (in response to Forrest Duck)

Forrestduck,

Yes I have...no matter what I do I seem to run pretty close to the same pace in a race.  I'm not really all that great of a racer because I get over excited/nervous (performance anxiety) but I do try to push myself and whether I walk any, run it all, have hills or no hills, I still seem to run the same pace (which by the way is slower than my pace at home).  I'm training for my first 1/2 and hope that the extra work I'm doing for that will help me break my pattern but I've also found that sometimes the runs are just what they are....no explanation. so really great and some not so great.

Cyndi

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    4. Aug 9, 2009 4:25 PM (in response to cyndi t)

and AWESOME job on your race....I hit post to soon!

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• actmanman Pro 47 posts since
    Sep 30, 2010
    5. Sep 30, 2010 1:08 AM (in response to Forrest Duck)

Thanks for sharing these treasured memories with us. It's hard to believe that Gefen has been gone a year already...Wow. It's also sad that so many vilified this man to try & make a name for themselves, after all he was just a human being like the rest of us & we all make mistakes, we just don't have millions pointing them out to us.

-----------
    start write program since high school,anyone are welcome to try two program written by me:
    mp4 to mp3: a free mp4 to mp3 tool;
    mp4 to wmv:a free mp4 to wmv tool

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Sep 30, 2010 2:26 PM (in response to Forrest Duck)

Congrats on running a 5k without walking!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...