Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4439 Views 17 Replies Latest reply: Oct 1, 2010 1:26 PM by johnnysocko RSS 1 2 Previous Next
cuppycakegirl Rookie 3 posts since
Jul 21, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 21, 2010 5:22 PM

I'm new. I don't know what to do! Stretching Tips, please!

So I know I should be stretching before and after runs, but I have no idea what to do. I just started C25K this week and I want to be sure I'm do all the right things so I can stick to the program and avoid injuries. I need some help here. Someone please tell me what to do.

• djsturtevant Amateur 16 posts since
    May 23, 2010

A basic stretching routine hits all major muscle groups.  The stretching routine I have always used is the following:

1. Calf
    2. Quads
    3. Butterfly
    4. Glutes
    5. Hamstrings/hurdler
    6. Achillies
    7. Ankle rotations-Sit, prop one ankle up on the opposite knee.  Rotate your ankle forward 10x, backwards 10x; switch feet.  Repeat as necessary. 
  • JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009

Cuppycake -

Feel free to stretch after your runs, but a lot of recent research shows that it doesn't do much. You would be better off doing dynamic warm-ups, core strengthening, and flexibility exercises before you run.  Here are my favorites that I put together: http://bit.ly/bE2PXY.

I've found it helps me a lot to do 5-15 minutes of these types of exercises before and after every run.  They really help prepare you to run and then stretch out/warm-down afterwards, in addition to overall strengthening benefits.

Cheers,

- Fitz.

Strength Running
  • delarac13 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 13, 2010

Before my runs I do traditional stretches and after my runs I do a pilates / yoga combo. I definitely recommend going to a pilates class or doing an at home DVD (you can stream them on netflix even) to learn stretches you can do on your own. I find they eliminate soreness and targets muscles I didn't even know needed stretching. And like Fitz says, it's a great way to build strength - I am definitely a stronger runner now that I also do pilates and yoga.

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008

I'm not sure where you heard that you need to stretch before your runs, but take it easy on that.  Unless you warm up first, you can end up doing more harm than good if you try to overstretch cold muscles.  At the most a few easy stretches to loosen up are all you need.   If you feel like you need to be doing more stretching its best done after the run.   Lots of runners (including me) stretch very little other than just a few limbering up moves.

The best way to avoid injury is to take your time building up the time and distance you run.  Giving your body a chance to adapt to the stresses and become conditioned to running rather than trying to do too much too soon is the best injury prevention.  The jury is out on whether overall stretching really does much to prevent injury.

• bellsway Legend 343 posts since
    Jan 28, 2009

Everybody's right here.  If you read 20 research articles on stretching you'll find some that find it's worthless, some that tell you it's important to stretch before or stretch after or both.  I find stretching loosens me up after a run.  If you have access to a foam roller you'll be amazed how well it gets rid of those niggling aches and pains.  Foam roll first then stretch after that.  Google foam roller and you'll get a good video.  Jason's link had some great stuff there but if you are a beginner and a bit older it may be too much for you.  Again google dynamic stretches (they are stretches that have your body moving) if you want to warm up before running.  If you static stretch after (the kind of stretches that most people think of as "stretching" where you hold a position for 30sec.) again google stretches and you'll get a few key stretches like glute, piriformis, hamstring, calf.

Plan your run and then run your plan.

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008

This is always a fun topic.  I'm not sure there really is a "right" answer here.  I personally have been there and back and have settled on the idea that I never stretch before my runs but make sure that I get a good slow easy 10-15 warm up jog/run before actually getting up to the days pace.  I do however stretch for 15-30 min after my runs.  I'm 52 and was not very flexible when I started running 3 1/2  yrs ago.  I read a lot of articles on stretching and was so mixed up I didn't know what to do.  SO, I ended up slowly but surely finding what works best for me.  I need to stretch after my runs otherwise I get to stiff and sore.  I also have been able to improve my flexibility with nice warmed up muscles from running then stretching so that's been good as well.  I believe almost everyone agrees that cold stretching needs extreme caution and good common sense needs to be applied to warm muscle stretching.  Don't stretch so far that it hurts!  My advice would be to progress slowly and cautiously to find what works for you.  If you don't feel any benefit from stretching then probably don't waste the time.  Just make sure  you warm up a little easy when you start off cold.  Good luck and if you find the perfect answer to fun question let me know...

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

• jeepinjeepin Rookie 6 posts since
    Oct 28, 2007

I don't stretch much before and that works for me. Definitely stretch and self-massage afterwards. Foam rollers are amazing. The technique they utilize is called SMR- self myofascial release. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myofascial_Release

• johnnysocko Pro 176 posts since
    Jun 15, 2009

I won't disagree with people here and say cold stretching as part of a warm up is necessarily a good thing.

I'd gone through a period where I didn't stretch much at all pre-training.  No stretching after a run, just walk it off a little.  That period was one of great lingering soreness almost daily.

The next period I started to cold stretch more before runs.  I think I actually injured myself tearing calf and thigh muscles just from stretching during that period.  I rested and healed.

I've now come to a period of trying to loosen up with a 10-15 minute period of warm up walking around the house, climbing stairs, etc mixed with some light cold stretching-being very careful to try and not force the muscles into stretching which might lead to a tear.  Then, I also have added a similar period of stretching post training run.  I can't say exactly it to be true-but I think some of the DOMS has been reduced with this new routine.

One thing I'm fairly certain of, and picked up based on advice from this forum, is that I've found some hip flexor stretching exercises that I try to do regularly around training runs and sometimes throughout the day.  I never even knew I had hip flexors until they became sore.  They were a bear to straighten out over a few months, but I do believe the stretching exercises have helped them immensely and they are no longer bothering me.

Ed.

• Einherjar Amateur 28 posts since
    Jan 28, 2008

I don't do much stretching before I run a slow jog seems to be best for me, but the ones that are very important to my body are stretching my neck and back. My legs and arms tend to be fine while I run, but I notice I my neck and back get stiff if I don't get those stretched out a little before I go. Usually just a few head rolls and arms above the head and bend side to side works.

Xterras are fun.

First 50k - 10/16/2010 - 4:20

Half and Full Ironman in 2011

• jhon01 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 5, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    10. Sep 20, 2010 9:10 AM (in response to Einherjar)
    stretching exercises
    Jun 15, 2009

Recently active had a decent article which I'm following now:

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/10-Tips-for-Pre-Run-Warm-Ups.htm?cmp=1747

• vcackerman Legend 340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

johnnysocko wrote:

Recently active had a decent article which I'm following now:

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/10-Tips-for-Pre-Run-Warm-Ups.htm?cmp=1747

I've been doing these also lately and find they do make me feel warm faster.   I do a light 3-5 minute jog in the parking lot, active stretch and get to the line (after hitting the head of course)

PRs:

5K: 27:54 (Roselle Run for the Roses, June 2011)

4M: 37:51 (Elmhurst 4 on the 4th, July 2011)

8K: 46:46  Chicago Shamrock Shuffle (April 2011)

10K: 60:16 (Lisle Spring Spint Mar 2011)

HM: 2:10:03 (Great Western HM May 2011)

Upcoming:

7/23/2011 Waterfall Glen Xtreme 10 Miler

Jun 15, 2009

You kidding me?  After the first day of doing those things, I was surprised at how many leg muscles I've got that aren't apparently being used   I agree with you.

But, seriously, I like some of the upper leg focus, and hope they help me down the road in my newfound tendency to strain hamstrings.  Actually, I've not started back running since beginning these (I'm in a reconstruction phase) but they seem to give you a halfway decent workout all on their own.

• actmanman Pro 47 posts since
    Sep 30, 2010

Note: Comments must be civil, respectful, and on-topic. If a comment does not add to the conversation, if it contains spam advertising, or inappropriate language or content, it will be removed. Comments containing links may be held for moderation. Relax, enjoy, and share in the discussion.

-----------
    start write program since high school,anyone are welcome to try two program written by me:
    mp4 to mp3: a free mp4 to mp3 tool;
    mp4 to wmv:a free mp4 to wmv tool

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points