Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2222 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2010 5:50 AM by Marykb RSS
nadinemachine Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 26, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 26, 2009 9:32 PM

Too much, Too soon?

Hi, I'm new here and apologize if this question has been covered before.

So, I am about to embark on week 3 of C-5K, but I'm worried, since I'm still over weight (hope this will change) I worry about being strong enough to move beyond week 3. Week 3 seems doable, but week 4 looks scary!

Anyways, I want to do more, and get better and faster, I want to run on my "off" days, I typically do C-5K Tues, Thurs, Sun, but I want to be sure that I can move forward.

I want to run week 2's workouts on Mon and Weds. Is this too much?

A little about me, in case that's necessary, I'm 26, about 180lbs, 5'5" and sometimes my calves get real tight after the 1st couple sets of intervals (any tips for that would be helpful as well). I'm going to run my 1st 5K Sept 15th.

Thanks for your input!

• cyndi t Legend 1,061 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    1. Jul 27, 2009 4:07 AM (in response to nadinemachine)
    Re: Too much, Too soon?

It's great that you've been working the program and want to do more....BUT I strongly caution against overtraining.  What I would suggest is stick to the program as it is spelled out and do another form of crosstraining those other 2 days...biking, swiming, hiking, something else that will help you burn fat but NOT running.

TRUST THE TRAINING!

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007
    2. Jul 27, 2009 4:12 AM (in response to cyndi t)

Nadine,

Welcome and congrats on you work so far at c25k but I have to agree with Cindi, Crosstraining is a better way to go the adding a couple of days of running. I think if you are neverous about week 4 do week 3 until you feel comfortable to move on while crosstraining making sure you get at least 1 day of total rest for recovery......

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Jul 27, 2009 4:13 AM (in response to nadinemachine)

I would advise you not to run on your off days. During those rest days, your body is recovering from the new stresses you're placing it under with running, and getting stronger in the process. If you don't give yourself those rest days, you're probably going to injure yourself.

If you're determined to do something on your non-running days, you can certainly cross-train. I did elliptical on my non-running days; biking, swimming, walking, and rowing are also good options. A little strength training wouldn't be the worst thing, but I'd go easy on the legs at the get-go.

What is your warmup routine? I know c25k has a five-minute walk at the front end. That was enough for me, but some folks might require a little more. If that's you, it might be worth doing the five minute walk, stopping to stretch a little bit, then moving into the run/walk intervals. It's generally not a good idea to stretch cold muscles; the short walk should get the blood flowing and loosen up the muscles to the point that you can stretch them without being likely to injure yourself.

Good luck!

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• PcExpert Amateur 22 posts since
    Jul 27, 2009
    4. Jul 27, 2009 6:57 AM (in response to nadinemachine)

Time to be patient. I was in same boat as  you 10 years ago, decided to ramp up my mileage and ended up with knee problems that lasted for years. Your body needs time to rebuild. If you want to do something on your days off, try building your core.

http://www.crossloop.com/images/badge-sm-black.jpg  Affordable Computer help.
  • mikel 52 Amateur 41 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Jul 27, 2009 8:44 AM (in response to nadinemachine)

Don't worry. Just work on W3 for now then move on. I felt the same way. I did w4d1 yesterday and it wasn't as bad as I had scared myself in to thinking it would be. It was doable. And I'm ready to go do w4d2 tomorrow morning. I know when I was struggling through week 1 It felt like it would be impossible to run for 3 minutes let alone 5. But if you follow the program it works. A few repeats here and there until you're comfortable at that level.

Mike

• thischickruns Amateur 13 posts since
    Jul 19, 2009
    7. Jul 27, 2009 1:20 PM (in response to mikel 52)

Hi Mike,

Just wanted to say I noticed you and I are at the very same point in training.  I just did day 2 of week 4 yesterday (Sunday).  Oddly enough, I found it tougher than day 1 of week 4.  I hope day 3 goes better.

• mikel 52 Amateur 41 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Jul 28, 2009 8:03 AM (in response to thischickruns)

I tried w4d2 this morning. I stopped short and will redo it. But I know what  you mean about it being tougher than d1. It was tough the whole time, then in the second 3 minute run my knee and groin were hurting and wiht about 30 seconds let it was bad enough to stop. I did do something differnt today though. I did the majority of the first 5 minute run on the other side of the street than usual (that' s just how the stoplight worked out today) and the sidewalk was tipped opposite and more than what I'm used to. I'll try it again Thursday.

Mike

• actmanman Pro 47 posts since
    Sep 30, 2010
    9. Sep 30, 2010 2:05 AM (in response to nadinemachine)

Upon further investigation, I believe Oct. 17th is when card holders can begin getting the discount.

-----------
    start write program since high school,anyone are welcome to try two program written by me:
    mp4 to mp3: a free mp4 to mp3 tool;
    mp4 to wmv:a free mp4 to wmv tool

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    10. Sep 30, 2010 5:50 AM (in response to nadinemachine)

Hey, you sound like you are really getting into the program.  That's great!

Here's the word for you:  Walking

I would caution you against running the extra days only because your body really does need time to adapt to the pounding and stresses of running.  There are muscles, tendons, ligaments, joints and even your bones that need time to strengthen.  Running day after day when you are new is not a good idea.  You need "recovery" days to give your body a chance to build up and avoid injury.

BUT....you can walk all you want!  And if weight is an issue, walking will take it off almost as good as running with a lot less stress on your body.  If you want, you can literally walk 7 days/week.  It will also contribute toward your fitness and help you reach your running goals.  Any other "cross training" will work as well such as strength training, cycling, swimming. etc.  Good luck with completing your program and running your race!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...