Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9055 Views 33 Replies Latest reply: Sep 30, 2010 7:35 AM by beachskirun RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Shorty158 Amateur 28 posts since
    Jan 15, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Jan 28, 2010 7:20 AM (in response to T9C)
    Re: Always a walker... starting to run at age 42!

I would avoid running in between days until later in the program.  For instance I am in week 7, last Sunday I got close to completing my normal workout, but missed it by 1 minute.  Well Monday I decided I had to run a little because it is such an energy boost so instead of doing a full workout, I went out and ran a quick mile.  Then Tuesday went and did a full workout.  I felt it yesterday behind my left knee.  Never should have done 3 days in a row.  Probably after running for a month more I can probably get away with that on occassion, but right now just not the best thing.

• sharonsfer Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 16, 2009
    31. Jan 28, 2010 10:55 AM (in response to mamasu)

Mamasu, good for you! I'm 51 and just transitioned from racewalking to running! I don't always enjoy it, but I'm always glad I did it afterward! Take it easy on yourself, and be sure to give your muscles adequate rest.  Best of luck to you!

• whitenurseshoes Rookie 4 posts since
    May 28, 2008
    32. Apr 19, 2010 2:28 PM (in response to mamasu)

At "tender age" of 60, I wou;d like to increase activity from walking to running; I just started the training to walk/run; Hope to become successful.Pat

• beachskirun Amateur 9 posts since
    Sep 30, 2010
    33. Sep 30, 2010 7:35 AM (in response to mamasu)

Wow I feel like I am reading about myself!  I too am 42 and just began running in July.  I have never run in my life but always admired those who are "addicted" to it.  I would say I want to be a runner but I can't I have arthritis, or I this or that.  Excuses excuses were always there.  So I got tired of hearing myself say "I can't".  It has been the most liberating and theraputic thing I have ever done.  I am still plugging along.  Still haven't been able to run 2 miles straight without walking some.  But this Saturday I am running in a 5k!  My pace right now is 13:15 and my goal for Saturday is to come in before the clock stops at 40:00 mins.  I do have to say that at times I feel like an alcoholic; one drink away from falling off the wagon.  But having a goal has really helped me!  So this race thing might have to become a habit just for motivation purposes.

I too was about 20-30lbs overweight.  I haven't really lost a tremendous amount of weight but I have dropped a size and I am fitting into clothes I have worn in a long time.

"You can not have results and excuses, you must chose"

First 5k 10/2/10; 38:59 ~ had to walk some in the middle

Sec 5k 10/30/10; 40:16 ~ was able to run whole race but slowed time

Third 5k 12/11/10; 37:17 ~ third time was the charm ~ not feeling quite as much like a newbie.

5/21/11; 5k 38:39 (tough course)

12/10/11; 5k 35:55

4/14/12; 5k 36:10

July= 2yr mark...can't call myself a newbie anymore...need to get real

12/8/12 5k; race time 32:12; chip time 31:50 PR

3/24/13 Ocean Drive 5k; Sea Isle NJ

4/7/13 AC Shore Memorial 7k; AC NJ

Goal this year: 10k!!!! Run the Bridge, Phila Pa

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...