Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

16420 Views 135 Replies Latest reply: Oct 13, 2010 6:26 PM by TDeal15 1 2 3 ... 10 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 10, 2010 2:53 PM

13.1 Marathon - Atlanta Reviews

Share your experiences with the 13.1 Marathon - Atlanta below Back to event details page.

• ThePitcherB3 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 18, 2010
    1. Oct 3, 2010 9:45 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: 13.1 Marathon - Atlanta Reviews

Very well organized and a lot of fun.  Challenging course but nothing that you couldn't handle.  Good spectators and the volunteers were great!  This was my first half marathon and I would recommend 13.1 to anyone.  I don't know about the parking situation, I live close by and got dropped off.

• YRU Running Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 11, 2008
    2. Oct 4, 2010 5:54 AM (in response to Guest )

Nice race.  It was well organized, and the medal is one of the best I've collected.  The course support was great, and there appeared to be plenty of on-course porta-johns.  Aside from the course being one of the most difficult I've ever run, my only negative comment would be the number of back-of-the-packers that started the race too far at the front.  This is not necessarily the organizer's fault, but assigned corral starts would be great, considering the width of the course.

• Debs Warr Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 17, 2010
    3. Oct 4, 2010 10:13 AM (in response to Guest )

I thought the race and course were great.  This was my first half marathon and while it was a challenge it was definitely manageable.  I think an improvement could be made with the 5k and 13.1 having different start times.  The beginning of the course was too narrow for the number of people trying to run.  After the 5k runners split off, the course was perfect.

• Davina Furnish Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 31, 2009
    4. Oct 4, 2010 10:15 AM (in response to Guest )

I thought it was well-organized as well, and the course was great.  I had a too-long line at the 1st porta-john stop (more at the 1st stop is advisable!).  And all the dire warnings about traffic got me to the start over 45 minutes before the race began (oy!).  But if there is another half in my future, I would definitely do 13.1 again.

• Jo Etta Rookie 4 posts since
    Nov 30, 2009
    5. Oct 4, 2010 10:17 AM (in response to Guest )

Great Race!  One that I will put on my annual calendar.  Well planned from start to finish:  clear instructions, helpful support, great water stations, good after-race booths, loved the results tent, LOVED the Band and Music, and the biscuits were wonderful.  No complaints!  (except for that last HILL!)

• Richard Bakare Amateur 17 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    6. Oct 4, 2010 10:17 AM (in response to Guest )

The course is as scenic as you can expect for running through the neighborhoods of north Buckhead. They promise hills and you get a good number of them. The only problem with this race is the start. Simply to many people trying to go down to narrow a chute at the beginning. They should separate the 5K run start from the half-marathon run start. Probably start the 5K'ers early and then the half-marathoners 10-15 minutes laters. Also, they should space the waves like they do during the Georgia Marathon in March; about 5 minutes apart. All in all, a fun and enjoyable race with plenty of food after. Thanks.

Simplicty is the ultimate form of sophistication - Da Vinci

• Jason Dumas Rookie 2 posts since
    May 21, 2010
    7. Oct 4, 2010 10:18 AM (in response to Guest )

I had a great time on the course. It was very challenging, but as the others have said, it was not too bad. The medal was a very nice touch! There was plenty of volunteers, water stations, porta johns, and energy to make it a success. The only complaint I had was the start of the race - if we can limit the narrow "cattle line" at the beginning I think it would have helped.Thanks for putting this together - I will see you next year.

• MylesB Rookie 4 posts since
    May 15, 2008
    8. Oct 4, 2010 10:18 AM (in response to Guest )

Pro's: A very well organized event, good support on the course, adequate porta-johns at the start, very cool medal. Course is relatively easy by Atlanta standards (although you can keep that hill on mile 11 and the one at the finish, thank you very much).

Con's: The t-shirt was (as advertised) a 13.1 Series shirt, not an Atlanta-specific shirt, but you could buy an Atlanta shirt at the expo or post-race. Sorry, but that felt cheap. With 3000 paying runners in Atlanta and more in other cities, I think you could afford to give each participant a city-specific shirt.

• jodecarlson Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 14, 2010
    9. Oct 4, 2010 10:19 AM (in response to Guest )

It was awesome! This was my first half marathon, and I found it challenging and rewarding. Those rolling hills just kept going and going, but seeing the finish line, and holding my medal, made it all worth it! My husband is so proud! (Of course, he claims the medal is his...).

Perhaps a shuttle to and from the MARTA station next year would be helpful? I barely made it in time to start the run because of bad timing (perhaps on my part) with the trains.

Thanks,

Jo-Anne

• ctrueloverun Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 4, 2010
    10. Oct 4, 2010 10:21 AM (in response to Guest )

I thought the course was challenging yet conducive to fast times if you train on hills at all. I agree, though, that the 5K and the 1/2 need different start times. The 5K people didn't get to see any of the course in the daylight I'm sure!

The biggest item that needs to be changed is the start line issue. I had to WALK after crossing the start, and as a result, my 1st mile was nearly 1:30 slower than my average pace for the remainder of the race....ultimately causing me to miss my PR by just 6 seconds. Frustrating to know you ran your PR but you do not get to count it as such because of poor race planning.

• Michael Hart Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    11. Oct 4, 2010 10:21 AM (in response to Guest )

This is great and challenging course but they definitely need to fix the start - it is way too narrow will too much cattle which makes for a very slow first mile.  Other than that it is another great Atlanta half-marathon.

• gtbrookie Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 28, 2009
    12. Oct 4, 2010 10:22 AM (in response to Guest )

I don't think that it was reasonable to encourage everyone to take MARTA, especially given the race start time and the MARTA cutbacks.  I got to the lindburgh station at 6am (only 2 stations from ogelthorpe), caught the 1st train at 6:25, and arrived at the chaotic starting line at 6:58.  I was, thankfully, able to use a porta potty and check my stuff in.  It was all just very stressful.  Also, I really think that the 5k and half marathon should have had separate starts.  I really liked the course and the support was great! 

• spokahantus Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 16, 2007
    13. Oct 4, 2010 10:22 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half marathon and I thought the course was great.  It had some really nice rolling hills, enough to challenge you, but it was still a pretty fast course.  My only real complaints were the start and finish areas.  I think that the half and 5k's should have had different start times.  There were a lot of people trying to get out of a very narrow area and it was difficult to run in the very beginning due to the congestion of people.  I also didn't like the finish area.  You can see the finishline but you have to run down hill only to turn and run up a hill to get to the finishline. 

• Michelle Stenzel Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 26, 2010
    14. Oct 4, 2010 10:23 AM (in response to Guest )

The race was run very professionally.  Lots of water stops, time at every mile etc.  However, the start of the race was horrible.  The roads were WAY too narrow to start that many people.  For the first 2 miles I had to stop and walk a couple of times because there was nowhere to go.  Definitely need to change that!  The last 3 miles were very hilly!!

1 2 3 ... 10 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...