Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2058 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2011 5:39 PM by goodoldgal RSS
aer1976 Amateur 10 posts since
Mar 5, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 4, 2010 1:00 PM

Anyone interested in a slower program than C25K?

I''ve tried to do C25K more than once but have never even been able to complete W1D1.   Even once I established a decent walking base (walk 3 miles a day 3x week) I still just always found C25K too hard.  Earlier this year I worked on shorter run intervals of about 30 sec with longer rest periods (like 90sec-2min).  Doing that I had finally gotten up to the ability to do intervals of running one minute, walking 2 minutes which is still not up to W1D1 but was at least an improvement and I was slowly getting closer to W1D1 of C25K.  Then I got derailed by illness for 11 weeks (stomach virus then flu-like symptoms with fever for 2 weeks, asthma problems, 2 bouts of bronchitis, followed by 2 separate bouts of pneumonia).  I've only recently gotten the approval from my doctor to start exercising again.  I found a program that is similar in nature to C25K, but starts out much easier.  Anyone interested?

I'm doing Phase 2 of the routine suggested on this webpage

http://beginners.runnersworld.com/2010/04/im-overweight-and-i-want-to-run-a-half-where-do-i-start.html

This program was designed for someone who wants to do a half but the suggested interval training works for someone who just wants to do a 5k as well.  It goes from running 30 seconds/walking 3 minutes (much easier than C25k) and then over 11 weeks increases to running 3 minutes/walking 1 minute.   I was thinking that if I can manage to get to the last week where I'm running 3 minute intervals then from there I have options of continuing to increase the running intervals or possibly start eliminating the walk breaks or even picking up in the middle of C25K.

Is there anyone else out there who finds C25K too challenging and might be interested in a slower more gradual running increase?  This week I'm doing the week of running 45 seconds/walking 3 minutes.   I hope I'm not the only one who is so out of shape and finds C25K to simply be too hard.

• Leatherpencilskirt78 Amateur 23 posts since
    Oct 6, 2010
    1. Oct 14, 2010 7:18 AM (in response to aer1976)
    Re: Anyone interested in a slower program than C25K?

Nope your not alone I'm thinking of backing off too! I am on day 4 of W1 c25k and it's hurting me ...I dont want to give up... so i want to start tomorrow just briskly walking 5 miles a day/ 4 days this next week. then maybe Go back to C25k and try week one tweeked to running 1 min walking 3 and going from there. I seem to beable to briskly walk 3 miles faster  then i can 2miles  doing the 60sec/90sec intervals of this c25k program so think it will help me loosen up some more and prepare better for the c25k program.

Just Do It, My New Motto!!

• -Sharon Expert 58 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    2. Apr 17, 2011 4:51 PM (in response to aer1976)

I was looking for something slower than c25k and ran across your post. Thanks for sharing.  I lived most of my life without being active, and although I walk regularly, trying to run has not been easy.  I'm currently walking and adding in 30 seconds of jogging here and there.  Hopefully it will continue to get better.  Thanks again!

• goodoldgal Amateur 15 posts since
    Apr 11, 2011
    3. Apr 17, 2011 5:39 PM (in response to -Sharon)

Tell you what, this last week I had to take TWO days off instead of ONE in between W2D2 and W2D3 and am considering doing that again as I approach W3D1.  I'm not overweight and I am LOVING the running but it is doing a number to me in various ways.

I wonder if it is "legal" if I just put an extra day off of running in there occasionally.  I'll keep trying and then maybe drop back and join you-all if C25K isn't working for me.  I do NOT want an injury.

Good Old Gal

• -Sharon Expert 58 posts since
    Aug 11, 2008
    4. Apr 17, 2011 6:07 PM (in response to goodoldgal)

I think you have to do what works for you. That's what I started doing when c25k was too tough for me.  But I'm getting better, it's slow improvement, but at least I'm out there!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...