Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

49503 Views 258 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2010 5:59 PM by Moonslug Go to original post 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 Previous Next
  • TW_QtPi Amateur 20 posts since
    Dec 23, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    210. Oct 2, 2010 2:01 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: The Women's Half Marathon - Nashville, TN Reviews

Overall I enjoyed the race.  This was my 3rd half, and I must admit I wasn't expecting such 2 large hills at the end.  The bridge at mile 12 was BRUTAL.  Even runners who appeared to be in far better physical condition than myself walked it (I saw at elast one young lady just stop under a tree near the bottom of the bridge; medical staff was helping her as I passed up).  I realize Nashville is quite a hilly city, but maybe two big hills close to the end is a little too much for even GOOD athletes.

Also, I was disappointed with the food and the goody bag - would like to have seen breakfast sandwiches replace the sweet muffins; the goody bag was cute, but empty. Hopefully, there will be more vendors will be provide goodies as the event continues and grows.  I was glad to see that not many guys running the race.  I plan to do it again next year.

• Carolyn84387 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 26, 2010
    211. Oct 3, 2010 9:07 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first race ever. I did the 5K. We had a group of girls who have never ran before we trained for the 5K and we had a great time. We are from the Nashville area so we are used to the hills and trained for them. I loved that there was some music playing along the end of the run. I loved that there was people positioned cheering everyone on..it felt nice to be cheered even if it was just a 5K. I will do this race next year for sure...but maybe...just maybe will try the half.

• Carolyn84387 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 26, 2010
    212. Oct 3, 2010 9:07 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first race ever. I did the 5K. We had a group of girls who have never ran before we trained for the 5K and we had a great time. We are from the Nashville area so we are used to the hills and trained for them. I loved that there was some music playing along the end of the run. I loved that there was people positioned cheering everyone on..it felt nice to be cheered even if it was just a 5K. I will do this race next year for sure...but maybe...just maybe will try the half.

• gr8ful_4grace Rookie 7 posts since
    Aug 12, 2008
    213. Oct 3, 2010 12:54 PM (in response to Guest )

The Women's Half Marathon in Nashville was an energetic and well organized event from the training plans to the post race celebration.  Thanks to all the volunteers at all stages of the event.  During the event, water stops were perfectly placed.  The bike team riding support was incredibly encouraging.   The 2010 The Women's Half Marathon in Nashville was my third 13.1 event and is worth a return trip. 

Just keep moving!

• ddteam Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 10, 2010
    214. Oct 4, 2010 12:32 PM (in response to Guest )

I loved it!  fun people and lots of support...I loved the biking folks who were always checking up on us!  The hills were killers but it was a great challenge and I felt all that much more accomplished after I did it!  Maybe a bit more garbage control at the end and avoid an aid station on a downhill...I use that to make up for lost time on the uphills!  Great job!

• BrittLaw Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 2, 2009
    215. Oct 4, 2010 12:34 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my 3rd half and I was very excited. Loved the medal, the bag was so cute, shirts were cute, expo was nice etc. I am like everyone else the hills were nuts. All of them I made it through just fine till the last 2 at the end. The one on 2nd was bad enough but didn't expect the bridge. Not sure if we can get around that for next year but that would be awesome lol!!!!! But over all, great experience. The cheering and people calling your name was great! More music through out the course next year would be awesome too!!! Thanks for all you did to make this event happen in my home town!!!!

• Heather Honeycutt Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 5, 2009
    216. Oct 4, 2010 12:34 PM (in response to Guest )

This was a great race, and I'm glad I did it. It was EXTREMELY hilly, and I think more notice about how hilly it was should have been given. I actually like a "tough" race, so it was great for me, but in other hilly races I've been in (e.g. Moon Pie 10 miler in Bell Buckle) they give extensive warning about how hilly it is. Particularly brutal were the hills on mile 11 and mile 12.5.

I was pleasantly surprised for how many people were out there cheering for the first time this race has been run. I will certainly run again in the future. Great job!!

• mlmilb0 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    217. Oct 4, 2010 12:37 PM (in response to Guest )

I enjoyed the run but was not aware there would be so many hills.  The hills at the end were a true challenge and I would have preferred a different ending that was not such a challenge.  I also would have enjoyed more spectators, band, etc. for the last mile of the run.  The only other suggestion for improvement would be to have water available directly after the GU.  I swallowed the GU and was alarmed to find that the water was about .25 of a mile after.  All in all a great half!

• kkoonce Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    218. Oct 4, 2010 12:37 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half and it was a blast.  I loved the fact it was mostly women so it was not overly intimidating.  Loved the support all of the women gave each other!  The expo was a lot of fun, the shirt was great, and the medal is fantastic.  I will say that the "ultimate goodie bag" shouldn't be hyped as ultimate.  It was just an average goodie bag that was kind of cute.  The hills were a killer, especially for the many women that made this their first half...but all the more awesome once I crossed the finish line!

• Jewellia Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 10, 2008
    219. Oct 4, 2010 12:43 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half marathon.  I loved it.  The water stations were in perfect places.  Of course the hills were a surprise, but with it being my first I didn't really know what to expect anyway.

• quita140 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 31, 2010
    220. Oct 4, 2010 12:46 PM (in response to Guest )

I enjoyed the race very much....however, when I turned the corner and faced that horrible mountain (the bridge) near the end, well.....I don't have the words.  I tried to run the whole thing...but couldn't...and I trained on hills.  I would like to see a better end.  Loved the water and gatorade and at the perfect times!!

• Anita M> Frazier Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 5, 2010
    221. Oct 4, 2010 12:47 PM (in response to Guest )

I was very surprised that there were such large hills at the very end of the half marathon. It was a really hard course and took a lot of stamina to just finish. the goodie bags were cute but almost empty, I would not call them ulitmate by any means.I don't think I will come back to this race next year. I will stick to the flatter courses. Too hilly for me.

• Lori Tippets Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 25, 2010
    222. Oct 4, 2010 12:48 PM (in response to Guest )

Loved the race! Thought it was awesome! If I was to make one change it would be to let people pick up their goody bags on race day-some of us just couldn't make it before then and didn't know anyone else going! Besides that, thanks for all your hard work in making it a very enjoyable race.

• TERESA GOODIN Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 26, 2007
    223. Oct 4, 2010 12:49 PM (in response to Guest )

I was unable to run in the race however did go to pickup my bib and goodie bag..Even though I have a walking boot since I broke my toe.. The way the expo was set up you had to go through everything and then pick up your shirt, by the time I had finished  going through everything I had forgotten that I needed to pick it up. I really wanted my shirt since I couldnt run the race but after paying to park and driving 20 minutes one way I couldnt return to get it later. I think in the future you should keep the shirts and the bags at the front of the expo so we don't get side tracked and forget to get are shirts.

• JLawal Rookie 6 posts since
    Aug 29, 2010
    224. Oct 4, 2010 12:50 PM (in response to Guest )

Overall I had a great experience participating in the Women's Half Marathon. It was my first half marathon and I have absolutely no regrets with my choice.

Things I loved:

*The FaceBook page was an awesome way to connect with other racers. The people on the page were so helpful and encouraging. As a first-timer it really made me feel like I had people cheering me on. I even gained to FB friends out of the experience.

*Communication from the race organizer. I mailed my payment to avoid paying the fees on active.com and was able to communicate via email to confirm receipt and ask questions.

*Organization. Some people were annoyed by the corrals but it didn't bother me. I heard someone say the street was too narrow but I didn't mind it b/c the atmosphere was awesome. It's all about perspective. The water/gatorade stations seemed to appear just when I needed them (like an oasis in a desert!). The dancers, music and supporters were also in just the right spots. Just as I was rounding mile 10 a group was dancing to "Walk It Out" and made me smile--even with an aching ankle. The loop around was awesome b/c I got to see my friend who was a couple of miles ahead of me.

*Name on the bib. It was sooooo cool to hear my name announced as I crossed the finish line. And supporters could cheer for me by name. I even cheered on a couple of people behind me (at the turn-around).

*Post-Race Party. Best selection of after race items I've had to date. Loved the tables with the white cover and pink ribbon.

Things that could be improved:

*The "Ultimate" Goodie Bag was a bit of a let down. I loved the bag itself and the tshirt but it would have been nice to get some other items or even better samples. *The Expo space was a bit cramped.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...