Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2883 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 4, 2010 7:44 PM by AlyMcG RSS
TCRiverRunner Rookie 2 posts since
Oct 4, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 4, 2010 11:26 AM

Marathon Concern/Question

Hi,
This is my first post, and I am writing because I could use some insight/advice. Yesterday I finished the Twin Cities Marathon (my 2nd marathon ever). I had been sick for about a week prior and was worried about this as I still had some congestion and a cough and hadn't run for about 12 days before the race, but things began really well.

My first marathon was completed in 4:20, and I was hoping to better that time. I began in a 3:50 pace group yesterday. I felt great through 14 miles and felt really good. However, just after 14, my legs felt wobbly, and then that wobbly feeling turned to pretty extreme pain. The pain progressed until i dropped from the pace group and had to slow a lot. I had pretty extreme pain with every footfall in my knees and eventually also in my hips. I finished the race in 4:16, and my final miles were around 12-13 min. each...very different from the 8:45 i was doing for the 1st half of the race.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out what happened. I know being sick didn't help, and I also think it might have to do with not having trained much at 3:50 race pace. I don't think it was a hydration or fueling issue as I was pretty careful about doing that correctly. I drank at each station and used 5 gels over the course of the race. I really think it has to do with my legs not being used to the quick pacing, but i don't know. Any ideas? Also, how do you train at race pace if you don't have one of those fancy GPS watchs?

Any help anyone can give me is much appreciated!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Oct 4, 2010 12:34 PM (in response to TCRiverRunner)
    Re: Marathon Concern/Question

It is hard to say for sure, but I think you are right.  The 12 days did not help you out.  I think you need to train the 18 weeks or what ever you plan is for your targeted time.  Speed Work, tempo runs, long paced runs and even your long slow runs built around your goal time.   Take from the positive side of it you still had a 4 min PR after being sick.  Great job

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    2. Oct 4, 2010 1:24 PM (in response to BOSNPM)

Here are old fashioned ways to time your runs:

1.  Go to the local middle school / high school / college track.

2.  Get in your car with a can of bright orange spray paint.  Move your odometer so that it shows tenths of miles.  Stop and spray a hash mark (on the road, not your neighbor's mailbox!).  Get back in and drive 5/10ths of a mile.  Stop and spray another hash mark when you've driven 5/10ths of a mile and paint "1/2" beside the hash mark.  Keep driving until you've driven a whole mile.  Stop and paint a hash mark and "1mi" beside it.  Keep going as long as you want.  (I advise doing this at 5:00 am for all sorts of reasons.)

3.  Find the local cross-country course used by high schools -- miles and half-miles are probably marked.

4.  Find a local park with a marked trail.

You will need a watch with a lap function for each of these, but this is how it was done in the stone age.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• Beer and Cupcakes Legend 970 posts since
    Nov 19, 2009
    4. Oct 4, 2010 2:05 PM (in response to Surfing_Vol)

Surfing_Vol wrote:

Get in your car with a can of bright orange spray paint.

(I advise doing this at 5:00 am for all sorts of reasons.)

LOL

Virtual Racing Antagonist.  I run for beer and cupcakes.kenyan.jpg

1 Mile PR 6:44

5K PR 22:21 

10K PR 48:30

Half Marathon PR  1:48:43 

Marathon PR - 4:09:10  

i before e except after c, weird?

• AlyMcG Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 4, 2010
    5. Oct 4, 2010 7:44 PM (in response to TCRiverRunner)

I'm just getting back into running with a goal of running a marathon next year (I have staggered 5Ks plus a 1/2 before the big one).  I have an iPhone and downloaded a free app from adidas called miCoach.  It has workouts programmed in there and does an assessment (or you can program in your most recent race times) to figure out your comfortable pace.  Each zone is color coded (blue for warm up & cool down, green for long runs, yellow for more intense, and red for all out), and each day's workout tells you how much to do in each zone.  It has GPS linked up to it so I just pop it in my arm band & go.  It tells me how I'm doing as far as staying on pace & where I'm at in terms of mileage.  So far, it's working pretty well for me, so if you have an iPhone or iPod, you may want to give it a try.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,266 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. Oct 4, 2010 8:28 PM (in response to TCRiverRunner)

TCRiverRunner wrote:

Hi,
    This is my first post, and I am writing because I could use some insight/advice. Yesterday I finished the Twin Cities Marathon (my 2nd marathon ever). I had been sick for about a week prior and was worried about this as I still had some congestion and a cough and hadn't run for about 12 days before the race, but things began really well.

My first marathon was completed in 4:20, and I was hoping to better that time. I began in a 3:50 pace group yesterday. I felt great through 14 miles and felt really good. However, just after 14, my legs felt wobbly, and then that wobbly feeling turned to pretty extreme pain. The pain progressed until i dropped from the pace group and had to slow a lot. I had pretty extreme pain with every footfall in my knees and eventually also in my hips. I finished the race in 4:16, and my final miles were around 12-13 min. each...very different from the 8:45 i was doing for the 1st half of the race.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out what happened. I know being sick didn't help, and I also think it might have to do with not having trained much at 3:50 race pace. I don't think it was a hydration or fueling issue as I was pretty careful about doing that correctly. I drank at each station and used 5 gels over the course of the race. I really think it has to do with my legs not being used to the quick pacing, but i don't know. Any ideas? Also, how do you train at race pace if you don't have one of those fancy GPS watchs?

Any help anyone can give me is much appreciated!

Being sick before the race probably had more to do with it than anything else.  Missing almost two weeks of running didn't help but likely didn't have nearly as big an effect as being sick.  Of course, being sick caused you to miss those 12 days.  It sounds to me like you just weren't completely healthy.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...