Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

48749 Views 258 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2010 5:59 PM by Moonslug Go to original post 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 Previous Next
  • beccaliss Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 13, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    225. Oct 4, 2010 12:54 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: The Women's Half Marathon - Nashville, TN Reviews

What a great run!! Very challenging but awesome! The expo was a little crowded in the vendor area but overall a great event.  The hills were challenging but every race can't be flat, my training will be a little more challenging for the next race in anticipation of more hills and harder courses.  Thanks for pushing my body to the limit -- I feel accomplished and stronger for completing the course. (Even if it took 5 days for my muscles to recover)

• Christi2theG Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 20, 2010
    226. Oct 4, 2010 12:58 PM (in response to Guest )

Didn't LOVE the course (preferred the CMM Half) but did appreciate the port-a-potties along the route and all the water stations.   Think parking for the expo was ridiculous and the location wasn't ideal.  Was disappointed in the goodie bag but thought the shirt was cute.  Found decent parking race day and thought the finisher's medal and the bib were both fantastic.  Will definitely consider doing it again next year.

• robinsonl Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 4, 2010
    227. Oct 4, 2010 1:18 PM (in response to Guest )

Had a BLAST! The hills were tough especially the last mile.... but it felt so good to cross the finish line and have our names announced. Thanks for adding those personal touches to the race. Thanks for putting on a great event!

• PFNashville Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 31, 2010
    228. Oct 4, 2010 1:28 PM (in response to Guest )

I loved it for my first 1/2 marathon. The route was wonderful. It would be better if it was in October since September can be very hot. I thought there would be more in the bag but I didn't do the race for the bag.

Lynn was one of my best friends and I will grieve for her for a long time. She was doing what she loved and I do smile when I think of how happy she was that day.

I'll do this again in her honor.

• Stacymcclanahan Rookie 1 posts since
    May 31, 2010
    229. Oct 4, 2010 1:38 PM (in response to Guest )

Overall, the race was great for my first half marathon. I loved the route, except for the hills at the end, and the people were encouraging.

Cons:

-The goodie bag was a huge disappointment. There was nothing ultimate about the items in it.

-The hill/bridge at the very end.

-Warm drinks

• Kathleen66852 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 2, 2010
    230. Oct 4, 2010 1:41 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half. The course was great! Yes, there were some hills but it was classic TN. I am not an experienced runner and I could handle it, so it wasn't too difficult.

The water/RR stops were great - the only problem was the very first stop. They were out of drinks but weren't making it clear to runners in advance. A bunch of us wasted time waiting for a cup to find out there was nothing available.

The expo booths were tightly packed in, so it was hard to look around and enjoy the expo. I might have bought more if it were more comfortable. But I did make an effort to visit all the vendors and I did spend a good deal of money with them.

There has been a lot of comments about the bags - the bags were cute and I found the items in them useful. More sample products would have been nice but I still thought it was better than many races. Assure your vendors that people that travel from out of town definitely will use the little shampoos, gels and local coupons!

I loved the bib and medal! The cookies and snacks were great! The volunteers were very friendly and helpful.

I liked having Marathon Photo available but they didn't seem to take many finish line pictures. That's were we all would like to see ourselves!!!

I definitely plan on coming back and would recommend this event to any first time 1/2 marathon participant!

• Paige KT Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 15, 2007
    231. Oct 4, 2010 1:47 PM (in response to Guest )

The all women half marathon was good as it was all women however the course should have been planned better.  Hills are good for a race but putting them at the end of the course is a 'killer' especially for those who are trying to complete the race and feeling good... I do know if there were hills in middle of race, not end - my timing would have been a bit better.. 

I have to agree with the goodie bag - I gave it to my friend's daughter as I was expecting more for the price I paid.  The dri fit shirts are okay as I probably will never wear it again - would have love to see tshirts again - perhaps allowing the option of the runner choosing dri fit or tshirts. 

• JLawal Rookie 6 posts since
    Aug 29, 2010

You have to check the "Lost and Found" photos for your finish line pic. There are a bunch of them there; that's where I found mine. Once you find it you can click "This is Me."

• cesarini Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 4, 2010
    233. Oct 4, 2010 2:26 PM (in response to Guest )

I'm in the minority, since I didn't mind the hills. It's Nashville...

I love the shirt, and when I went back and checked, they gave what they promised: a bag.

I had two problems that I felt needed a public forum:

1. The second water station was laughably mis-managed. They had boxes and boxes of water, and were pouring one cup at a time, slowly. One of the three was texting. Please don't ask those ladies back.

2. Nashvillians were not as aware of traffic routes as they are for the CMM, so maybe some advertising could be spent there next year.

While I feel the CMM was better managed, this was a fun 1/2 marathon to run.

• AshleaLex Rookie 2 posts since
    May 1, 2009
    234. Oct 4, 2010 6:42 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half marathon and I thought it was great.  Goodie bag could have been better but honestly...is that really the point of the race?  The events after were very nice and planned well. Seemed to be plenty of cheerful volunteers along the route and the yellow shirts were easy to spot.  Expo was a little cramped but I was there Fri late afternoon which was probably the busiest time. The course was hilly and certainly that hill at mile 12 was a little much but all in all you just know a race in Nashville is going to be hilly.  The course was shady for alot of the route which was very nice.

I agree on the photos...I didnt really have any at the end and that is what I would buy..not one of me with a water cup.

Seemed to be lots of first time half marathoners like myself so some special area after or at expo or something would be nice to recognize and welcome first timers.

My main comment would be that I think it would be cool if there was some type of medal, plaque, etc for anyone who does the whole "series" (AZ, TN and FL). Loved the FB site and updates!!!

My thoughts are with Lynn's family and friends and I appreciate the links provided so we could read about her life.

• ScienceChef Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 4, 2010
    235. Oct 4, 2010 7:35 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my second half marathon and found many good things about it. First of all, I would like to say that the "Ultimate" goodie bag was pretty much a rip off. As someone already said....it's not the reason for running a race.

Secondly, the water stops were well stocked and I was towards the back of the pack - which means that you planned ahead for all people to have enough water. Thank you!

Thirdly, the hills weren't too bad until we had to go over the Korean War Memorial Bridge...oh..crap. That was one hill.

Fourthly, all of your race crew/volunteers were along the course and cheering us on to the bloody end...for the most of the part.

Fifth, the announcer - did a great job!!!

I will look forward to doing this again next year!! While I did not know Lynn, I do feel connected and want to thank you for posting the information you did.

• raegan24 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 4, 2010
    236. Oct 4, 2010 7:51 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half marathon. I thought it was very well planned out. The water stations were always well stocked. The volunteers were very supportive through out the race. The goody bag left something to be desired. But that is not why I chose to run this marathon in the first place. The communication before and after the race has been excellent. That last hill was a killer!! It made it hard to run that last mile. Overall it was a great experience. One that I will never forget!!

• JenniferH1974 Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 19, 2010
    237. Oct 4, 2010 8:26 PM (in response to Guest )

This was a very well organized, well staffed race.  I was not expecting so many hills, though:).  I've run the country music half twice, (and I plan to do it again April 2011) and this felt 10 times tougher.  I probably won't run this again, unless the course is modified.  The goodie bag was a bit of a bummer,  as well.

• Aleiha Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 4, 2010
    238. Oct 4, 2010 8:41 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first visit to Nashville.  What a great half marathon and the volunteers were very helpful and supportive. 

There should have been more vendors at the expo and that the official hotel should have set out some fruit tables in the lobby for the runners the morning of the race.  I wish the water and gatorade was cold rather than luke warm at the running stations and finish line...

• oilformylamp Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 5, 2010
    239. Oct 5, 2010 4:15 AM (in response to Guest )

The registration process was simple and the expo was fun.  I really liked the vendors that had items specifically for girls!  As far as the course goes, the ladies around me all decided it was designed by a 'man'.  A few less hills would be nice.  I would of liked to have seen more bands along the way.  After all, this is Music City!!!  I thought every other person had a guitar.  The sororities from both schools need to be out there.  Have a contest between them for supporting this race.  The post race party had plenty of treats left at the end, a real plus.  On another note, the city's public buses were 'free' to explore all around the area. On Saturday night we did not have to pay a cover charge (if you had your medal on) to get into the Horseshoe Saloon and they offered free line dancing lessons several times during the evening.  The entire experience was very positive and I hope to see you next year!     

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...