Skip navigation

1875 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 6, 2010 3:09 PM by Colorado Dreaming
Colorado Dreaming Pro 73 posts since
May 1, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 6, 2010 3:56 AM

ADVICE PLEASE!!

Hello Friends,

It has been awhile since I have checked in.  My marathon season has been plaqued with injuries - my back and my daughter's foot.  Unfortunately she has had to drop out because of her foot. It seems to be a recurring case of plantar fascitis.    It was to be her first marathon.  I am very proud of her as she went from being a non-runner to training up to 13 miles.  She feels bad so any good words you might have for her?  It is hard being her Mom and trying to be  her coach at the same time.  I just keep tell her how proud I am of her.

On another note, my back is healing after missing 2 or 3 long runs.  I decided to go all out last Saturday though (stupid as that might be) for the 20 miler.  It was the hardest 20 miler I have ever done (third marthon).  It took forever 5 hours 6 minutes and by mile 14, my left forefoot/toes hurt so bad I cried by the time I hit 20 miles.  I have been reading up on it, and it seems it might be some kind of neuroma at the end of my small toes on the very top of the ball of my foot.  It  feels a little swollen.  Just went out for a short run, doesn't hurt, but feels weird.  I read that if you put moleskin on the ball of the foot that should protect it as I'm probably landing to hard there.  Anyways, I am determined to go through with this even if I don't make the bridge (I could imagine the "sweep" bus licking at my heals on Saturday during my 20 miler).

Any advice would be appreciated.  You all have been so kind in the past.  Thank you so much.

Debby AKA Colorado Dreamin'

MCM 2010 -  Organization for Autism Research (OAR)

- Run for Autism  http://firstgiving.com/debbyandkendrasmith

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    1. Oct 6, 2010 4:24 AM (in response to Colorado Dreaming)
    Re: ADVICE PLEASE!!

Deb, I wish I could help, but I don't have a clue and here comes my input, wait for Len and Immer, they always know.  As far as your daughter, just keep telling her how proud you are of her.  From nothing to half marathon distance is an accomplishment, but I know what you mean, mom's input sometimes doesn't hit the spot.  Tell her we're all proud of her on the board. I've had plantar fasciitis and I'm still running and it hasn't plagued me in years.  So tell her, let it get better and you'll do this again next year.  Hope to see you in DC.  Good luck.

• MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    2. Oct 6, 2010 4:28 AM (in response to Colorado Dreaming)

Hi Debby,

Good to hear from you, but sorry to hear the training hasn't gone as planned for you and your daughter.  I assume she's done the calf stretches to try to help the planar fascitis?  It's worked well for me when I've had it, but I can't say the same for my wife, so I guess they don't always work.

Are you doing your long runs on pavement?  Getting on a softer surface might help some for training.  5 hours is a long time for those footsies!  But then, the MCM is all pavement...hmm...

Good luck!

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    3. Oct 6, 2010 4:56 AM (in response to MCM Ron)

Debby,

Tell your daughter we are all proud of her also.  Long term health is the most important part.  You two have many more years ahead to run your matathon together, I can't wait for my 1st with my daughter.

I can't help with the foot problem sorry.   Good Luck Phillip

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,431 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Oct 6, 2010 7:08 AM (in response to Colorado Dreaming)

Tell your daughter we're all sorry she can't make it.  She got a lot further than most people, and there is always another race.  PF is tough.

Assuming it's a neuroma, it can't be treated simply.  You would have to see a doctor to get a diagnosis, and it seems like proper treatment requires medical intervention.  Padding can help but is at best a work-around.  Here's a thread with a long discussion (3 years worth) of neuromas and treatment: http://community.active.com/thread/35089

Read the beginning to get some basic ideas.  But read the end as well because there are newer treatment options.  I didn't go through the whole thing.  There appears to be a number of non-surgical / minimally invasive treatment options.  Actual surgery seems to be a last resort.

Len

Len

• Becky8846 Legend 686 posts since
    Apr 1, 2009
    5. Oct 6, 2010 10:33 AM (in response to Colorado Dreaming)

Debby - I got nuthin' about your injuries, but I send you and your daughter healing vibes.  May you both return with vigor to the sport and accomplish all your goals.  13 miles is not nothing!  Your daughter has done great!  When she cures up, she can start again.  There are gazillions of races and MCM will be there next year as well.  As for you, here's to making the bridge.  Steady as you go, breathe, and keep moving forward.  Good luck!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...