Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

50211 Views 258 Replies Latest reply: Nov 14, 2010 5:59 PM by Moonslug Go to original post 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 Previous Next
  • Dianne Hall Amateur 11 posts since
    Dec 29, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    240. Oct 5, 2010 5:15 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: The Women's Half Marathon - Nashville, TN Reviews

WHM was my first half!  I told myself before this one...this would be the only half I will ever run!  It will... WHM will be the only half I will EVER run, can't wait to register in Jan!  The experience was filled with highs and lows, not talking about the hills... the emotions! Something about thousands of women and the "thread" of encouragement and support for one another... simply amazing!  I ran for the charm, but received much more than that.  Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!! 

• fromtheplains Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 5, 2010
    241. Oct 5, 2010 5:15 AM (in response to Guest )

I thought this was a great race.  It was well organized and the volunteers were great!  I love the shirt--much better quality than others I have recieved in other races.  The bands along the way made the hills a little less daunting (more next year would be a bonus).  The announcer at the end of the race was awesome. 

My sisters and I decided we will try to do this every year and I have already recommended it to others.

• peanutbutterJill Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 27, 2010
    242. Oct 5, 2010 7:40 AM (in response to Guest )

I had a great time at the WHM - It was a  great way to celebrate my 35th birthday! The shirt and medal were awesome (even though I don't like pink) the goodie bag was a bust. The course kicked my but and this is not my first marathon. I LOVED the personalized bibs and everyone cheering me on by name. The water stop support was great except stop 2, had to wait on water. The expo was great except they needed more plus or larger sizes. Not everyone is a small or medium!!

Over all I look forward to the race again next year. Thanks!!

• love"2"run Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 26, 2007
    243. Oct 5, 2010 8:40 AM (in response to Guest )

WHM was my first half and I really enjoyed the entire experience!  A friend and I plan on the next one as well.  Loved the personalized bibs, just hearing the crowd cheer you on by name made a huge difference, as did the bands!

Although pleased with my time, for my first 1/2, soooo many hills were not expected but not too difficult until the end.  That was a haul. I do agree with others that the Ultimate goodie bag was a bust.  They did not say bag, they stressed every e-mail the "ultimate" goodie bag.  Did not run for the bag, I ran for the cause, but did expect more only because that is what they implied. 

Volunteers were great! The water stations were backed-up but that is to be expected with SO many runners.

Only suggestion I have is that people that walk the course should not be shoulder to shoulder across the entire road (especially the first couple of miles)making it hard to get around.  This causes back-ups, and possible trip injuries. No disrespect to walkers, I do it myself!!

Great race, great women, great friends! THANK YOU!!

• JLawal Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 29, 2010

I so agree, Jill!! Not all athletic persons are itty-bitty. Most the the shirts and bottoms did't come in an XL. I'll stick to getting my items from Champion (at Target) b/c their XLs are comfortable. I think for this race it really would have been nice to have plus-sized clothing vendors b/c women of varying sizes and athletic abilities were present. Part of that is b/c it was such a welcoming racing event.

There are always areas for improvement for an event, but I hope that the organizers see that overall they got the important things right. To those who complained about the hills--WELCOME to NASHVILLE!! They made victory that much sweeter

"Successful people are successful because they form the habits of doing things that failures don't like to do." --Albert Gray
  • angelbachuss Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 8, 2008
    245. Oct 5, 2010 9:08 AM (in response to Guest )

As someone who lives and runs in Nashville I thought this race was unnecessarily hilly.  I think a non-runner designed the course.  Besides hitting every major hill in the downtown area the race ended with one long, sunny, and completely quiet hill.  The last 2 miles of the race were run by the stadium where there were very few spectators and no water stations.  This could have definitely been planned better.

The post-race food wasn't very impressive; muffins and luke warm water.

Postives:  there were lots of volunteers/race staff that were very friendly.

Oh, and I liked that there were so many MEN spectators along the race course!

• Sharon Pustejovsky Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    246. Oct 5, 2010 10:24 AM (in response to Guest )

I have already posted here, but after reading all of the posts, I wanted to add a few more comments.

First of all, as I said before, the race was top-notch, I most appreciated the volunteers, soldiers, and the people who cheered us on.  I felt appropriately challenged, and was able to complete the HM feeling pretty good!  This was my first 1/2 marathon.  Personally, I didn't have any major complaints.

Many people commented that the goodie bags were not ultimate.  Being that this is a fairly new race, I'm sure they will collect more donors/sponsors along the way, and that the goodie bags will get more goodies in them as time goes on.  I thought that the shirt was great and that alone suited me!  I loved the moisture-wicking fabric and the design, and thought it was made of a good quality - it's been through a few washings already.  The goodie bag itself has been put to good use in every grocery shopping trip as a recyclable bag, and I've had several positive comments made about it by the checkout clerks.  The medal is exceptional, and how cool to have the charm to go along with it!  Aren't those things alone worth not having a chock-full goodie bag?  Besides, who runs a race because of what they're getting in the goodie bag?  I was happy enough with what was in it.  If, however, I was asked how the bag could be improved, I would say, throw in a headband, a running lubricant sample, massage cream samples, more energy gel/beans/supplement and food samples, a pony-tail holder or two, possibly even a pair of cotton-free socks (I just read that they are better for running).  If not some of those actual products, perhaps a coupon for a buy one, get one free, or something like that.

Most people have been posting about how tough the hill was at the end.  I have to say that I was so pumped to do this HM, that I was able to make it over the hill without walking it.  It probably would've been better if I had walked it, but I had come so far already, and knew that I was almost at the finish line, so I had to give it my all.  With the sun beating down on me and seeing so many women walking, I knew that this was going to be the biggest challenge during the race.  What would have been REALLY GREAT and helped motivate us even more to get through that last mile or two, would have been to have lots of spectators and/or volunteers cheering us on over there.  That is the one place we would have loved to see the inspirational and funny signs.  Some music there at the end would have been a nice grande finale, too.  I realize that all these things require more volunteers and/or expense but they would have made the race absolutely perfect, without taking away the challenge of the hill.  I do think that the incline should have showed up on the race course - why didn't it?  People psychologically prepare themselves for what they know is ahead, and it must have been very discouraging for some to be mentally and physically prepared for a relatively easy finish, then face that hill.  It might have prevented women from giving it their all further back, thinking they were going to coast in, then realize that the energy they spent earlier was going to be needed for the hill.  I'm sure that either the course will be changed next year, or at least EVERY hill will be shown on the course.

Some complained about the warm water.  I know that it is not comforting to hear this when you have just run 13.1 miles and are extremely thirsty, sweaty and hot, but did you know that warm water is actually recommended after intense exercise by some doctors?  There are theories that drinking water that is too cold is not great for your body at this time, because your body has to expend energy to warm it up to your body temperature .  Cold water feels and tastes better, but it might not be in your best interest, so I understand why the water wasn't chilled (unless it really was an oversight, or bad planning, which in that case still ended up doing us a favor).  I guess it would have been ideal to have a choice between warm and cold water after the race (somehow I think the cold water would disappear faster!)

The Women's HM in Nashville is going down in my personal history book as one of the best experiences of my life.  Thank you to everyone who helped to make this special opportunity happen!  You all are great and everything you have done is appreciated, and I plan on participating in this next year.

• Sabeita Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 10, 2008
    247. Oct 5, 2010 5:07 PM (in response to Guest )

I felt the same as many runners.  The course was too hilly.  I ran the CMM 1/2  3x and the Full 2x and it was a piece of cake compared to the Women's 1/2.  Just like the CMM, many more participants ran when the course was modified.  I probably would not run this again because of the many hills especially at the very end and the cost was also too steep.  CMM was cheaper and a lot more fun! I was also very dissapointed in the goodie bag.

• Dianne Hall Amateur 11 posts since
    Dec 29, 2009

DITTO!!!  Thank you for your positive and complete review!! 

• Ahansen Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 29, 2007
    249. Oct 5, 2010 8:29 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first all women's event and it was amazing!  I honestly did not expect it to be as fun and amazing as it was! The course was tough but I love a challenge and I love that we ran around so many different neighborhoods around Nashville.  The frequent race updates leading up to the event were super informative, helpful, and kept me excited and jazzed about the race! The large number of volunteers was great to see and I loved chatting with many of them as they came from so many great, local organizations and places.  All of the volunteers and staff were helpful, friendly and most importantly always had a smile on their face! It was great to see so many staff members running around, taking the time to talk and interact with the participants rather than scrambling around like you see at other races.

I absolutely loved this event, it completely exceeded any expectations I had and I will definitely run another WHM event!

• writergirlcw Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 18, 2010
    250. Oct 6, 2010 9:44 AM (in response to Guest )

I enjoyed the race; however there were a few things I thought could be improved upon. It seemed excessive that a person had to pay $10 to park in order to pick up the race packet. Most of us had already paid $95 to participate in the race. Also, the process for obtaining the race packet for another person was quite time-consuming which we learned when my sister had to pick up 4 race packets. Each person was processed individually leaving her absolutely no time left to enjoy the expo. Something a bit more serious which should be addressed by the race committee is the treatment of runners who have been affected either by the heat, exhaustion, or other issues. Someone close to us became quite ill and ended up in the medical tent for at least two hours. To our surprise, no one asked for her medical history, took her blood pressure, or anything. It was only after we asked repeatedly that she be given an IV that it was eventually administered. The medical facility also seemed a bit ill-prepared as there weren't enough wheelchairs to transport runners from the finish line to the medical tent. I think I only saw 1. A race with over 3,000 participants is going to need more wheelchairs than that! Regarding the course; I loved the challenge of the hills, appreciated the availability of the porta-potties, water and Gatorade.

• RunLisaS Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 25, 2007
    251. Oct 6, 2010 10:26 AM (in response to Guest )

I really enjoyed this Half Marathon!  It was my 5th half, and I set a PR!  I actually liked the challenge of the hills on this course.  The shirt is cute, and I loved the metal.  It was an honor to have a soldier put it around my neck.

My only gripe is how congested the start was.  This can be remedied by spacing out the start for each corral by a minute or two.  Other than that, it was a great run for your first time in Nashville.  I will be running it again next year.

• kspratt5150 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 29, 2009
    252. Oct 6, 2010 1:12 PM (in response to Guest )

WOW...What a great event.  Not only was the weather perfect, it was empowering.  I beat my last time by 28 minutes and enjoyed every hill you threw at us.  Even the last hill before the finish line...lol.  I will be running this for years to come. I LOVED the personalized bibs.  I LOVED the medal.  I LOVED the gift bag.  The shirt was AWESOME, but I prefer good ol' cotton.  The shirts tend to run small in Womens/Dryfit style.  Thank  you to all the volunteers.  LIVESTRONG and see you next year.

• JessicaJR Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 16, 2010
    253. Oct 9, 2010 2:05 PM (in response to Guest )

I loved this event. It was organized and fun. The shirts and after race festivities were the best I have received for a half marathon so far. The was a lot of food, water and gatorade which really helped. The registration and shopping pre race was wonderful as well.Thank you Women's magazine. The course was very nice.

• JessieStreet Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 11, 2010
    254. Oct 11, 2010 12:21 PM (in response to Guest )

Wow, reading all of these reviews about how hard the course was makes me feel like a rock star for completing it! I vacation in downtown Nashville a couple of times a year, so I am well versed on the hilly terrain. I thought this was a great course and feel proud to have completed my very first half in a city that I love! I ran the race with my mom who drove in from NC, we had been following the same training schedule seperately and met up for the big event! We both had a blast from beginning to end. Great event!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...