Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

116323 Views 850 Replies Latest reply: Nov 27, 2011 9:29 AM by edensacres RSS Go to original post 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 Previous Next
  • AGC525 Pro 62 posts since
    Jun 27, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    840. Sep 29, 2010 9:52 AM (in response to juju31)
    Re: Starting c25k 6/14/2010

Juli, I'm sorry to hear that!

I'm glad to see some folks are still toughing it out!

I ran another 5K last week and I shaved 4:40 off my time, so I felt great. There were even hills which I havent dealt with so I was proud. Next one is this Saturday, these things are addicting...lol!

Tony

C25K graduate, future Ironman

PR:

City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K (38:07)

Upcoming Races:

Operation Troop Appriciation 5K 11/7

Run for the Wounded Warrior 5 Mile 11/13

YMCA 20th Annual Turkey Trot 5 Mile 11/25

Dick's Sporting Goods Half Marathon 5/15

PNC Pittsburgh Sprint Triathlon 7/31

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    841. Oct 1, 2010 7:20 AM (in response to AngelSmitty)

Well I went to PT.  I tested out well strength wise, no pain.  This therapist wants me to do toe exercises for 2 weeks and come back!  She was like, "what do you want to run, a mile?"  She has obviously never run, and thinks people who do are nuts.   I'm pretty much done with her, especially since my doctor told me I would be running in 2 weeks and it's been 4!  I'll keep doing the exercises they gave me because all of them have improved the strength and flexibility of my legs, also my balance.  She said she didn't want me to walk more than a mile right now (laugh), I'M SORRY BUT I GOT TO GO!!!

So my plan is to speak with my nephew, the sports therapist tomorrow morning.  I'd really like to try a little running tomorrow.  I bet he'll agree.

So AngelSmitty, let me confirm with you after I speak with him but, I am hoping to try for W1D1 tomorrow.  At the latest Monday.

Melinda

Jun 11, 2010
    842. Oct 3, 2010 6:27 PM (in response to QueenKitty)

I don't know who's still reading this thread but.....

I believe after six weeks I have recovered from my ITBS/knee problems.  Itching to get back on the road.  Spoke with my nephew the sports trainer and he said they alway urge athletes with injuries to get back on the horse as soon as you can.  He said you lose the fitness level you had before the injury making it harder to recover.  Makes sense to me.....so

I'm restarting from W1D1 tomorrow Monday, October 4th.  I'll jump ahead if I find it too easy.  Anybody on this thread need to "do over"?  If you do, put your running shoes  back on and join me.  We all know what the winter months do to us.  Not this year!  No way!

AngelSmitty-Are you ready?  Let's hit the road!

I am going to start a new thread for us "do over" people so watch for it.  And with me luck and injury free running.

Melinda

• AngelSmitty Amateur 28 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    843. Oct 4, 2010 6:41 AM (in response to QueenKitty)

I definitely am ready for a do-over!!  I did W1D1 outside on Saturday and boyyyyy was it ROUGH!  I had a deep purple face and felt like I was dying during the last two jogs.  I think part of my problem is that I'm just getting over a cold, so my throat and nose aren't totally clear (sorry if that's TMI), so it was hard to get a good breathing rhythm going while I was jogging, without coughing and feeling like I was going to be sick lol.  Yesterday, I decided to just do 4 miles on my mom's stationary bike, but will be doing W1D2 tonight on her treadmill.  I think I want to mix it up between treadmill and outside (depending on the weather) because last time, I definitely noticed it was easier on the treadmill.  My friend LOVES to run (did 625 miles last year, just for fun-I can't imagine that) and decided that she wants me to attempt a half-marathon with her next year.  13.1 miles HAHA.  I asked her if she was drunk when she brought it up.  However, I did tell her that I would work to get at least 1.5 to 2 miles by Thanksgiving, when she'll be home to visit.  I figure, I'll almost be done the program by then, so I should be able to handle 1.5 miles, right?   The half marathon thing though trips me out though.  She just completed one yesterday in 2 hours and 15 minutes.  If I'm struggling to just jog (very slowly) ONE minute, how will I ever build up to 2 HOURS?  We'll see though, I'm hoping if I just keep with it, it won't seem so bad in the end.  She said once you get past 3 miles, it becomes easier.  I'm wondering if anyone who completed the program and still runs can verify that for me?

So glad someone else will be starting it up with me!!  Let me know how today goes for you, Melinda! 

Jun 11, 2010
    844. Oct 4, 2010 12:22 PM (in response to AngelSmitty)

AngelSmitty - This morning I made it through W1D1.  The knee was a little stiff and slow to respond, but I'm sure the more I run the better it will be.  The run intervals went well.  I guess I didn't diminish as much of my stamina as I thought.  I couldn't believe when the podcast called for the 90 walk.  Now having said that, I don't know how sore I will be tonight or tomorrow. :-)))  Tomorrow I will just do all my exercises and stretches from PT, with a 10 minute elliptical warm up first.

Keep going girlfriend!  Together we can do this.  Last time I repeated weeks 4 and 5.  Everybody is different.  Just listen to your body.  I might not be able to walk tomorrow.  I am so glad you are in with me.

Thank you.

Melinda

• AGC525 Pro 62 posts since
    Jun 27, 2010
    845. Oct 7, 2010 4:43 PM (in response to QueenKitty)

Hey folks I'm still here!

I'll probably do a Halloween 5K, and I'm registered for one in mid November. That'll probably be it for the year unless I come across something else.

I registered for the Pittsburgh half Marathon on May 16th, 2011. So that's my next big goal. I can't believe it's come this far!

I hope everyone is doing well!

Tony

C25K graduate, future Ironman

PR:

City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K (38:07)

Upcoming Races:

Operation Troop Appriciation 5K 11/7

Run for the Wounded Warrior 5 Mile 11/13

YMCA 20th Annual Turkey Trot 5 Mile 11/25

Dick's Sporting Goods Half Marathon 5/15

PNC Pittsburgh Sprint Triathlon 7/31

Jun 11, 2010
    846. Oct 8, 2010 2:04 PM (in response to AGC525)

Sorry I haven't posted.  Did W2D1 on Wednesday.  Pouring rain so ran inside.  I hate the treadmill!

This morning in the sun I ran W2D3.  Next Monday will be W3D1.

AngelSmitty are you out there?

Melinda

Jun 11, 2010
    847. Oct 11, 2010 7:04 AM (in response to AGC525)

Tony - You are sooo awesome!  Your updates lift me up.  I can't wait till I can get through the program and do my first 5k.  The key for me is to stay injury free.  My nephew registered for a half marathon in Nashville in the spring.  I told him hopefully I will be ready for he and I to do our 5k around Thanksgiving.

Keep up the good work, and please keep posting. 

Melinda

• AngelSmitty Amateur 28 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    848. Oct 12, 2010 3:11 PM (in response to QueenKitty)

Yes, I'm here!  Sorry, I was out of town!  Still working on Week 1, but planning to be on Week 2 by next week!

Jun 11, 2010
    849. Oct 13, 2010 10:12 AM (in response to AngelSmitty)

AngelSmitty - That's great.  I am glad you are still with me.  If you get a chance look at the "Anybody Need a Do-Over" thread.  We have a pretty good group going there.  I did W3D2 this morning pretty slowly.  It's not easy to see in the dark.  I am hoping my Saturday run will be quicker.

Keep up the good work.

Melinda

• edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010
    850. Nov 27, 2011 9:29 AM (in response to juju31)

Any of you folks still out there?  Curious who is still running a year and a half later....I had to stop when I first started with you all and one more time but was able to graduate this summer.

I hope you all are doing well!

Peace,

Stephanie

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...