Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

13720 Views 36 Replies Latest reply: Dec 23, 2010 6:37 PM by ColoCorredor RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • EllyT Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 20, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Oct 14, 2010 5:59 AM (in response to sonsart2)
    Re: Embarrassed to race?

Fabulous advice from so many people! All I will add is that as someone who's only been running seriously for about 14 months, the adrenaline and the sense of achievement from finishing your first race FAR outweighs any negative self-talk about the time it took. I'll also offer a great mantra: I ran a half-marathon last Sunday - my fourth ever. My usual pace is one that I'm proud of (just over 10 min/miles) considering my recent start, but I know it's a lot slower than most of the field. As I started this race and I was getting constantly passed by people of all ages, shapes, and sizes, I just kept saying to myself, "Run your own race. Run your own race." And I did. As it happened, I smashed my PR by 10 minutes - and I'm sure it's because I didn't try to surge ahead to "keep up" early on. I'm proud of my time; I'm prouder still of running my own race.

• Sailorunner Amateur 14 posts since
    Aug 24, 2010
    31. Oct 14, 2010 7:13 AM (in response to Marykb)

Thanks Marykb!

You know, I have never looked up any times for other races other than the ones that I've participated in.  So, I didn't really have any reference to compare myself to.

I'm pretty new to this racing scene.   I guess the few races that I have done so far were with some pretty seasoned runners.

It's good to know that I'm doing well.  Thanks for the morale boost!

Just Keep Going......................

Grosse Pointe Rotary Run 10 K  1:10  9/18/10

Birmingham Lions Club 10 K  1:08      9/26/10

D Town River Run  10 K         1:11      10/10/10

• HelenM2002 Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 17, 2009
    32. Oct 14, 2010 7:50 AM (in response to Sailorunner)

Sailorunner, I have to ditto Marykb -- that is definitely a respectable pace! I can't imagine finishing last in your group with that time! I've run much slower than that and finished in the middle of the pack. Keep up the great work!

Jul 17, 2009
    33. Oct 14, 2010 8:00 AM (in response to sonsart2)

You have gotten some wonderful input already, but I just wanted to add my encouragement...like Nike says (or used to), "Just do it!"  People in the running community are really supportive, and I think even the fastest runner knows that you have to start somewhere! I did a 4.4 mile race on Memorial Day, and I remember that as I was nearing the 3 mile mark, there were runners who had already finished and were passing me in the other direction. (Granted, I am slow, and line up toward the back, but those were some fast runners!)  I remember them smiling at me and saying encouraging things like, "Looking good, keep it up!" and "Hang in there, you're doing great!"  And some of the speedier runners hung around the finish line to cheer on the slower runners (and walkers)...it really is an awesome feeling to cross the finish line!

As others have suggested, run your own race. You are your own competition. Set a reasonable goal, and try to accomplish it.  Bear in mind that if you're used to being on the treadmill, your outside pace might be different. Personally, my outside pace is slower, since I have trouble trying to regulate it.

I also recommend lining up in the middle of the pack (or slightly behind the middle). That way, you will probably be with some people who are at your pace, which can be helpful. If you do need to walk or take a break, just move over to the right hand side of the road (which I believe is considered runner's etiquette).

Most of all, HAVE FUN! And remember that your slowest time in a race is faster than your best time sitting on the couch!

• LemonaidLucy Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 19, 2010
    34. Oct 14, 2010 8:10 AM (in response to HelenM2002)

'...remember that your slowest time in a race is faster than your best time sitting on the couch!'

I LOVE that!

Lucie

PB 5k (training): 25:32, PB 10K (training): 56:05, PB 20k: 1:55:13, PB half marathon: 2:01:32  

4/2/2011 Prague International Half Marathon 2:03:37

6/04/2011 Silva Nortica Trail Half Marathon 2:14:54

6/18/2011 Olomouc Half Marathon

8/14/2011 Zebrak 25K

Not faster, but farther. Not catch up, but hunt down.

Jul 17, 2009
    35. Oct 14, 2010 8:16 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Lucie, I "borrowed" that from someone (I can't remember who, but it is a member here) and use that as one of my many mantras.  I love the quote in your signature!

• ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    36. Dec 23, 2010 6:37 PM (in response to sonsart2)

You just gotta go for it!!!  Good Luck & Happy Running!

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!
1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...