Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

178745 Views 1,130 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2011 9:23 AM by tylerjiang RSS Go to original post 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 76 Previous Next
  • KayTastiK Pro 71 posts since
    Jul 6, 2010

We'll be with you TG! The c25k family from the July 12th tribe with be rooting you on for all the young ladies that will witness the "pack" in person.

You know you've got plenty to enjoy in your race. Good luck and God speed to ya!

Kay

-There is no fear in love, for perfect love casts out all fear...The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

KayTastic's life goal: to be fear-less!

1st 5K: August 28th 2010      5K Fun Run for Sickle Cell Anemia (32:29)

2nd (Next) 5K: October 9, 2010 Faison Market Day 5K [kay cancelled]

3rd 5k November 20, 2010    Reality Race 5k [sponsor moved race to March? Ran it anyway in 36:28 on crazy trail!]

4th 5k December 18, 2010     Ryan's Reindeer 5k (31:13)

Health Benefits Evidenced: daily excitment to keep running, lost 5 pounds, breathing deeply and more fully, back to sangin' (in the shower and car), and....happy-happy-joy-joy ME!

• JBP-DVM Pro 72 posts since
    Jul 23, 2010

Congratulations Mo on graduating!!!

Congratulations Dee -- you are an inspiration and WTG on your race!!

I have been trying to keep my motivation up (my running partners are falling away quickly ).

My family signed up for a 5K for Thanksgiving Day.  My parents, son, sister, husband and niece will all run the 5K.  I'm going to try to, gulp, take on the 13.1.

I ran my first 10 mile run on 10-10-10.  Slooooow and steady.  That's a long time to jog!  The first 2 miles I was thinking this is ridiculous I don't feel like doing this I'm not into this today Just turn around.  I ignored Weenie Girl and around 3 miles in it became bearable and then just kept rocking along.

During the week I run 3 times between 3-5 miles each, and then a long run on the weekends.

6 weeks til race day.  My goal is to complete and recover quickly.

• danij74 Amateur 30 posts since
    Jul 13, 2010

Hello and nice work on all the progress everyone!  Finally checking in after my Half Marathon on Sunday.  Wow, what an experience!

First, over the weekend, there was the accompanying expo, where we picked up our bib and race packet.  There were vendors galore, more different gadets, goos and "gotta-have-its" than you can imagine.  And all the racers picking up their stuff.  So much excitement in the air.

Of course, it started raining on Saturday and didn't let up at all, all the way through until about 3pm on Sunday.  It poured!  Apparently it has only rained on 3 of the last 30 Portland Marathons, which seems incredible since it is Portland in October, but this year made up for all the other sunny years I think.  We got about .75" of rain on Sunday alone.

Since I am no speed demon, I was corralled with the walkers for the start.  I walked about the first 1/2 mile and then started running.  I've been having some IT band pain in my right leg (mostly my knee) so I had a wrap which helped a ton.  Unfortunately, around mile 3, my left leg started talking to me.  I was taking walk breaks, but kept my pace going as best I could.  Finally around mile 8 I switched the wrap to my left leg.  I figured that two kind of hurting knees was better than one totally injured knee.  My walk breaks got longer and my stride got smaller, but I kept going.  Miles 10, 11 and 12 were definitely the hardest because that's when I started to get cold.  Everyone was totally soaked to the bone.  I started getting lapped by marathoners.  But I knew I had my family somewhere in the last 1/2 mile cheering me on, and I wanted to be able to run past them and run across the finish line.  Plus, I was ready to be done!

I did finally see my husband, kids, best friend and one of her kids about 3 blocks from the finish line.  They had stood out in the rain for more than an hour already and were also very cold and wet.  But it was so great to see those happy, proud faces.  And then, just a few more blocks and the finish line was there!  I finished in 2:40:21, 20 minutes better than I anticipated/hoped for.  I got my medal, space blanket, finisher's shirt, food, pictures....the finish chute of a marathon is an interesting place!  Most importantly, I achieved my goal of FINISHING!  (Plus, I was a charity racer for American Cancer Society and raised over $1000 for them as well!)

Once we made it home, I was under the covers with ice on my knees.  I am finally able to walk up and down the stairs.  Needless to say, I haven't been running this week.  However, I am seriously thinking (planning?) about the full marathon next year.  Wow, I must really like this running thing!  It was an amazing experience.  There were the "elite" marathoners, US soldiers in full uniform complete with boots and packs, wheelchair and other physically impaired racers, and a whole lot of people just like me.

It only took 2 days for my shoes to dry out.  Today I'm back to the running store for a foam roller and another IT wrap.  (So much for running being my "cheap" exercise!)  I'm going to try and get on the rowing machine today because I feel like a lump after not doing anything all week.  And hopefully I'll get out at least for a long walk this weekend.  Maybe I'll be able to pull off a short run by next week sometime.

JBP, my advice to you, is make sure you keep on those long runs on the weekends and definitley give yourself a few days of rest before your race.  And have fun!

Danielle

Here's a pic my husband took as I passed.  Woohoo!  I'm a (half) marathoner!!

Attachments:
  • CMRoss Amateur 26 posts since
    Jul 5, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,083. Oct 15, 2010 10:09 AM (in response to danij74)
    Re: Starting C25K on Monday July 12, 2010 Who's in???

Awesome, Danielle!  You looked great!!!

Started Couch-to-5K 6-29-10

Completed Couch-to-5K 9-10-10

Southeastern Massachusetts

• Lisa9410 Amateur 38 posts since
    Sep 28, 2010

That's wonderful, Danielle! You and your family must be so proud of your achievement.

JBP, I hope you have a great long run this weekend.

I took a week off work to do some home improvement, removing lots of old wallpaper. My shin splints are gone. I have had a bit of a sore metatarsal on my left foot that finally feels better. Ran on Tuesday and I will run Saturday morning.

Good luck to all racing this weekend!

7/5/10 -Started C25K

9/4/10 -Finished C25K

First 5K: Hoosiers Outrun Cancer 5K - 34:50

• MoMeslo Expert 48 posts since
    Jun 29, 2010

Half Marathons -- WAY TO GO!!!  I a over joyed with myself that I just ran 5 miles today.  But, 3 months ago, 5 miles was a marathon to me.  I'm looking forward to the 5K on Sunday.  Can't wait to see how it goes!  Glad to hear everyone's successes!  Keep it up!!

Jul 23, 2010

Mo, that's awesome!  Congrats on the 5 mile run and good luck for Sunday!

Danielle--You ROCK!  Wow!  2:40 with walking?!  That is fantastic!!  And thanks for your description, you actually make me feel like I can do it.  (Though I do hope it is not cold and rainy!!)

Kay--Love the bottom of your sig line.

TG--looking forward to your race report.

Joel--how goes your speedy self?

Lisa--glad to hear you are feeling better and back at it.

CMRoss--thanks!

• tallgiraffe Pro 153 posts since
    Jul 12, 2010

KayTastiK and JBP-DVM: My race is tomorrow early AM. I'm looking forward to it. It's going to be quite nippy close to 45F and super windy. So, I'm sure that with the wind chill, it's going to feel colder than 45. I'm still running a little slow reaching 3 miles in 35 minutes. I won't push myself to run faster anytime soon because I want to avoid knee soreness while my legs become stronger. I've found that I like these lower temperatures because they keep my heart rate low.

Began c25k on July 11, 2010

First 5k race goal: 8th Annual CPL Breakfast Run - Cranford, NJ. Oct 16, 2010 >> COMPLETED!

Second 5k.... still researching this.

Jul 23, 2010

So, TG and you others that are already facing cooler temps...what's the gear?  Still wearing shorts and adding a long sleeve shirt?  On to long pants?  What kind?  Layers?

TG I'll be looking tomorrow evening for the highlights!  Sleep well, get up and eat a little and HAVE FUN!!!

Jul 12, 2010

JBP-DVM: At this time, I haven't yet upgraded to tights or specialized running shirts. So, for the time being I'm wearing shorts with sweat pants and a t-shirt with a sweatshirt. This afternoon, I tried out a cotton long sleeve shirt with a sweatshirt and found it to be too much cotton on my arms. I was just slightly overheated, but nothing major to switch to a regular t-shirt. I read an article in active.com about clothing suggestions. It said that temps of 55+, wear shorts and short sleeve shirt. And temps 45-55, wear tights or sweat pants and long sleeve shirt or t-shirt with a sweatshirt. And temps below 45, wear a light gortex jacket or vest and some sort of cap to keep your head warm.

First 5k race goal: 8th Annual CPL Breakfast Run - Cranford, NJ. Oct 16, 2010 >> COMPLETED!

• emmaleigh47 Pro 174 posts since
    Jun 24, 2010

Hey guys!

Its time for race #2 tomorrow: my goal is to cut one second off my time... really hoping to do this! I have been struggling a bit since my bad illness and pneumonia, but I can do this and I am going to!

After this race, the next one is the 5 miler turkey trot... not sure about that distance.... but going to work at it I guess!

TG: Good luck on your race ... your like a speed demon!

Started: July 2010 at 273#

Fox Cities 5K on 9/17: 45:19 (264#)

Shake a Tail Feather 5K on 10/16: 45:09 (254#)

Hope Run for Africa 5K on 10/23: 42:45 (248#)

Jingle Bell Run 5K on 11/6/10: 44:20 (248#)

Turkey Trot 5 mile on 11/25/10: (246#)

Miami ING Half Marathon 3:23:56

Oshkosh Half Marathon 3:16:38 (PR)

Cellcom Half Marathon in GB (horridly windy race) 3:21:56 (244#)

• joeltnc Expert 41 posts since
    Jul 15, 2010

Hi All!

Mo-Congrats on finishing C25k!

Danielle-Congrats, you are truly an inspiration.

TG and Emmaleigh-Good luck in your races today.

JBP-DVM-Good job on your workouts.  In the cooler weather I have just added a long sleeve t-shirt and still run in shorts.  I bought some warm running shirts and pants (tights) a few years ago but haven't used them much.  I prefer to wear shorts over the tights.  I will probably switch over in Jan to afternoon/evening runs to try and get some heat.  It's still been nice enough in the mornings to continue at 5:30 am in NC.

I am running the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5k today.  I never thought I would actually look forward to running/races.  This is the first time my family is coming (wife, mom & dad).  It might be the lure of IHOP pancakes post race but whatever gets them there makes me happy.

I am still progressing in the Bridge to 10k.  I finished week 3 this week, so only 3 more to go.  I hope to run a 10k in December.  So far I have scheduled at least one 5k a month to keep me motivated.  As for post 10k, I'm not sure yet.  I haven't committed to any longer distances.  13.1 still sounds awfully scarey at this point (of course so did 6 miles three months ago).  Glad to see everyone is doing well.

Started C25K: 07/12/2010
    C25K Graduation: 09/09/2010

1st 5k Finished:  Sunrise Run on the Greenway 5k 09/11/2010 Time:  26:53

2nd 5k :  Royal Fest 5k 09/18/2010, Time: 24:54

3rd 5k:  HOP Race:  10/2/2010      Time:  24:05

4th 5k: Komen Race for the Cure 10/16/2010  Time: 25:12

5th 5k: Flapjack 5k 11/6/2010  Time 23:25

Last Bridge to 10K Segment Completed:  W4D3 10/23/2010.

1st 10k Planned: Greenway 10k 11/13/2010

Jul 12, 2010

I did it!

My race time is nothing to celebrate since it was 39:45. But I didn't really do it for best time. I did it for the accomplishment. I managed to socialize with some people while running and actually passed a few people which gave me an ego boost. A 75 yr old guy completed the race in 26 mins. I thought that was amazing. I also accomplished running two days in a row without a sore knee. I wore my knee brace as a reminder to take it easy. Now I'm icing my knee just in case. It sure was a cold windy morning. I think it was below 55 for much of the time or at least the wind chill made it feel that way. Right now (3 hrs later) it's only 56F degrees out. Some people wore long sleeve shirts and shorts, but I did what other people did. I wore sweat pants and a sweat shirt.

Oh I forgot to mention another thing about the article I read about clothing. It said that below 45F, you can wear loose cotton gardening gloves.

• joeltnc Expert 41 posts since
    Jul 15, 2010

Great job TG, Congratulations!  Good news about your knees.

Started C25K: 07/12/2010
    C25K Graduation: 09/09/2010

1st 5k Finished:  Sunrise Run on the Greenway 5k 09/11/2010 Time:  26:53

2nd 5k :  Royal Fest 5k 09/18/2010, Time: 24:54

3rd 5k:  HOP Race:  10/2/2010      Time:  24:05

4th 5k: Komen Race for the Cure 10/16/2010  Time: 25:12

5th 5k: Flapjack 5k 11/6/2010  Time 23:25

Last Bridge to 10K Segment Completed:  W4D3 10/23/2010.

1st 10k Planned: Greenway 10k 11/13/2010

• Lisa9410 Amateur 38 posts since
    Sep 28, 2010

I hope it has been a fantastic running day for all.

I ran 32 minutes and reversed one of my usual routes, very enjoyable. It was 61 degrees for my run, sunny with a light breeze.

Back to wallpaper stripping....

7/5/10 -Started C25K

9/4/10 -Finished C25K

First 5K: Hoosiers Outrun Cancer 5K - 34:50

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...