Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

319 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2010 7:08 PM by Dianne Hall
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 17, 2010 3:29 PM

Event Reviews

Share your experiences with this event below Back to event details page.

• Funky T Rookie 4 posts since
    May 11, 2010
    1. Oct 17, 2010 3:29 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Event Reviews

Well I've never run, or attended a half marathon before, but having recently run my first 10K and seeing all that went into it I felt compelled to reciprocate and volunteered to work this race (I'm not ready for a half yet!).

Everyone was very nice, as always, and everything seemed to go very smoothly. My wife and I were backup time keepers which was way cool, as we saw everyone finish. It's amazing you see everyone from the fast as lightning Kenyans to the over 70's folks who are still kickin' it. It inspired me so much I got up at 5AM the next day and ran 9 miles, my longest run ever. Now that's inspiration.

If you've never attended, run, or volunteered for a race, I highly recommend it. You'll have a great time, meet some awesome people, taste some wonderful food, and hey, volunteering makes the world a better place and makes you a better person. And the Middle Half is a great place to start!

• ccespino Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 5, 2008
    2. Oct 17, 2010 3:53 PM (in response to Guest )

I thought that as a volunteer we should have known more about the event - where the kids run started, where to hold the pace signs, etc.  The spectators should have been moved further away from the finish line and there needed to be much more garbage cans.

I liked that there was an announcer for those that were coming to finish but I don't think he should have said - their name didn't come up so they must not have completed their registration correctly.

I really enjoyed the experience and plan to volunteer again.

• Dianne Hall Amateur 11 posts since
    Dec 29, 2009
    3. Oct 17, 2010 7:08 PM (in response to Guest )

I thought the Middle Half volunteering experience was very positive!!  I ran the Women's Half in Nashville last month; I knew then how important volunteers can be!  I had a blast at mile 13!!!  It was so nice to cheer the runners on to their final tenth of a mile.  So many runners were so glad to see that lucky 13 mile marker!! 

A few suggestions:  Is there any way MTSU could fix the uneven pavement at the gate where the runners enter?  I was so fearful that someone turning that sharp corner to the right might fall or trip... I warned them as they were headed toward me.  No one did, but can you imagine how devastating to be that close to the finish and fall? 

Along the same line... I would like to have seen a small group of medical personnel stationed near the mile 13 marker or at least give the volunteers a walkie or someone's phone number who could get medics to a runner just in case!  In the Women's Half, I am sure you know of the lady who collapsed so near the finish line.  Please think about  implementing one of the three suggestions for the peace of mind of the volunteers and safety of the runners!

I would also like a sheet of volunteer rules of etiquette!  

Mona at the Volunteer tent was so wonderful!!  She is a definite keeper!!

As always, I so inspired by the runners; I am sure each has an amazing story to tell!!  It is a very emotional experience; I truly enjoyed it!  Will definitely volunteer again next year!  

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...