Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

56378 Views 402 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2010 12:19 PM by ruddygirl 1 2 3 ... 27 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 7, 2010 6:30 PM

Long Beach International City Bank Marathon Reviews

Share your experiences with the Long Beach International City Bank Marathon below Back to event details page.

• historyrunner Expert 29 posts since
    Jul 7, 2007
    1. Jan 7, 2010 6:30 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Long Beach International City Bank Marathon Reviews

I did the 2009 half. I'm in for the full this year. Great course. One hill around mile 13 and another between 17 and 18. Great course support, plenty of spectators to cheer you on and the course is great. Basically the race was well organized and the course was fast. I wish there were more porta potties at the start and at the mile markers but getting there early and going before you start will help you avoid having to pee during the race. This race was very fun and my favorite half out of the 3 I did in 2009.

• djevey Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 18, 2009
    2. Aug 23, 2010 8:39 AM (in response to Guest )

This was a great marathon.  The chip timing was great.  I especially liked that the full and half marathons were on the same course until close to the end.  When the full marathon turned away to wind through the campus, it felt like a different run.  More relaxed and casual.

The finish line was great, everyone was very supportive.  I am looking forward to doing this again.

• fosters4god Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    3. Oct 18, 2010 9:18 AM (in response to Guest )

Ran the half yesterday and had a great race!

Weather couldn't have been better.

Super support staff.

• EXCEPT the lines....waited more than 20 minutes just to get over the bridge out of the post race area.

Then my freind (who will remain nameless...JL) waited for over an hour to get his bag back that he checked before the race...REALLY need to improve on that for next year and with an airline sponsering baggage claim who would have thought there 'd be problems- otherwise a great event!

• MikePhace Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 28, 2009
    4. Oct 18, 2010 10:12 AM (in response to Guest )

Great race and great amenities!

Exiting the event was a pain but thats because the walkway is so small.

• Mellamina Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 2, 2010
    5. Oct 18, 2010 10:12 AM (in response to Guest )

Yesterday I ran my first half, I had such a great time! i was pretty much smillling and or laughing the entire time. Fans were great, runners were great, course was amazing! I had sooo much fun and I can not wait to do it again!!!

• Catherine_Lepone Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 25, 2009
    6. Oct 18, 2010 10:12 AM (in response to Guest )

Great job done by Run Racing.  They have grown this event remarkably and are always trying to improve the experience for the Runners.  Love this event venue right on the beach.

• mikegist13 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 26, 2010
    7. Oct 18, 2010 10:12 AM (in response to Guest )

This was the first time I have ever ran an event. I did the 5K with my wife. I can't wait until next month to do it again in Calabasas. Had a ton of fun in Long Beach! The afterparty was cool and weather awesome. The course was good.

• honeybea125 Rookie 6 posts since
    Aug 31, 2008
    8. Oct 18, 2010 10:13 AM (in response to Guest )

did the Bike Tour ... weather was perfect ... next year maybe 2 bridges, one to go over and one to come back ... it was a nightmare ... other than that ... we all had a great time ... oh, and maybe more Food Trucks ...

• RKamran Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 1, 2009
    9. Oct 18, 2010 10:13 AM (in response to Guest )

This marathon just got better.

• ducks47 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 30, 2009
    10. Oct 18, 2010 10:14 AM (in response to Guest )

They really need to change the finish area for next year.  Last year after the finish, it was easy to get to the car and leave.  This year, they made it so that you had to cross the bridge to get to the car, which included going up and down a bunch of stairs, and waiting in a long line (waited at least 45 minutes).  This definitely needs to be fixed, I dont know why they changed it for this year.  Also, there needs to be a better way of getting people into the correct corrals, the race announcer was yelling at people not to jump the fence to move up, but there really was no other way to get to the front.  I was planning on running a 1:25 half, so I should have been in wave 1, but after warming up, going to the bathroom, I could only push my way up to wave 3.  This made it difficult, because the first 5 or 6 miles I had to weave in and out of people.  I still feel like I had a good race, but if they had a better way to move people to the correct corral, it would have been helpful.  I dont want to seem like all I have to say about this race is negative, the course is beautiful, and it is a good race, those are just a couple things I would like to see changed for next year.

• jnlllvnd Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 23, 2010
    11. Oct 18, 2010 10:14 AM (in response to Guest )

Overall, a fun race to run...FLAT course. Running on the bike path by the beach was a little lonely, and because it was so narrow passing people was REALLY annoying. Traffic on I-710 was terrible. Should have planned to arrived 2 hrs BEFORE the start, not just 1 hr before the start. More smaller water stops along the way would have been nice, like 1 at each mile marker maybe? The energy at the beginning and end of the race was good...just got a little quiet and lonely during miles 6-10. I'd do it again though.

• BryanKoyano Rookie 1 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    12. Oct 18, 2010 10:15 AM (in response to Guest )

We completed our first Marathon Bike Tour - it was challenging but a lot of fun. Our family participated and made for a great outing. Many thanks to the volunteers as they really inspired all of us to get to the finish line. Looking forward to the next one..

• mark Dillman Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 29, 2008
    13. Oct 18, 2010 10:15 AM (in response to Guest )

Ran the full and really enjoyed it.

My first Long Beach.  Didn't realize there is so much nice scenery there

as the course winds through so many different areas.  Loved the boardwalk / midway stuff and also the college campus with the screaming students!

Only hiccup was the bag pickup tent at the finish.  Needs to be fixed and organized.

Rest of it was fantastic and I would run it again.  The hotel we stayed at also had a great runner's package that made things easy and smooth.  Bravo Crown Plaza!

• Becky August Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 18, 2008
    14. Oct 18, 2010 10:15 AM (in response to Guest )

It was a beautiful course. Need to work on the baggage pickup. The timing chip is great. Perfect weather.

1 2 3 ... 27 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...