Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

58169 Views 402 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2010 12:19 PM by ruddygirl Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 27 Previous Next
  • jlk68 Rookie 4 posts since
    May 5, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Oct 18, 2010 10:16 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Long Beach International City Bank Marathon Reviews

I did the bike marathon and it was so much fun. The miles just flew by thanks to all the support along the way. The after party was a little crazy with everyone having to go back and forth over that narrow bridge. I will definitely do it again next year.

• nbare Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 2, 2009
    16. Oct 18, 2010 10:16 AM (in response to Guest )

Out of the 7 events I have done (4 1/2 marathons, 2 full marathons, 1 triathalon) this is the worst event I have ever participated in!  Too many participants were allowed to run.  It was nearly impossible to get into the appropriate wave.  I have never been run into and impeded by so many runners/walkers in any other event.  The organization was poor and I was amazed to find out that this was the 21st event!  The lines for pictures post race was unacceptable, the lines to get across the foot bridge was unacceptable and the catastrophe that was bag pick-up at the jet blue tent was unacceptable.  It is unfortunate that Jet Blue affiliated with that disaster because I will forever associate Jet Blue with disorganization and will never use that company.  This all being said I appriciate the hard work of the volunteers and sincerely hope to see many changes prior to next year's event.  I will not be recommending this race to anyone.

• Pixel Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    17. Oct 18, 2010 10:16 AM (in response to Guest )

Great day for the bike tour. Wonderful weather, great support staff and things seemed really well organized. However, they definitely need to do something about that bridge (like maybe add 2 more?) it took us 20 minutes to get from the bike finish to the festival area and then over a half hour to get back later. Also, I know we didn't race as hard as the runners but distributing foil blankets to the bike finishers would be nice too... it was pretty chilly after the race.

• hunt356 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 18, 2007
    18. Oct 18, 2010 10:16 AM (in response to Guest )

Thank you to all the Volunteers and Race Officials. Everyone was so encouraging and supportive. A wonderful venue, city, and well organized. If only I could run it faster.

Couple of tips- have more alternative directions into LB. Traffic got really bad and slow getting into town. Easier in and out to the Lagoon area. What about printable bibs online? It would save a few hours who arent local to LB.

• jrivera77 Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 15, 2008
    19. Oct 18, 2010 10:16 AM (in response to Guest )

This is my third year running this half marathon.  I have never started this race on time due to some type of traffic or line delay.  This year I thought for sure leaving at 4:30am from Anaheim that I would start the race on time... Not so lucky.  Had to park about 1 mile from starting line and then waited about 25 - 30 minutes to use the restroom and got stuck starting with wave 5 when I should have been wave 1.  I have come to the realization that I just need to run this course for the beautiful scenery and not shoot for my PR, because it truly is a very scenic course.  I'll still probably end up doing it again next year... late or on-time.

• hbrien Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 22, 2008
    20. Oct 18, 2010 10:17 AM (in response to Guest )

Great event, good course, well provisioned water stops, medical tents, and portable toilets along the course. Weather couldn't have been better with the great cloud cover. Traffic along the beach/boardwalk with both half and fulls together was challenging. Cheering support was great, especially in on the college campus, which otherwise could have felt very isolated. Would do it again!

• csmuts Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 8, 2008
    21. Oct 18, 2010 10:17 AM (in response to Guest )

Run was GREAT but the congested bridge (the ONE way back to the parking lots), the bag check fiasco at the end, and the money stolen from my (and others) bags ruined the whole experience.  Only an airline (Jet Blue) could manage to lose EVERYONE'S bag...

• Jessica111181 Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 21, 2008
    22. Oct 18, 2010 10:17 AM (in response to Guest )

Ran my first marathon yesterday. I registered for last year's event, but was unable to run due to injury. I had a blast being out there last year to support my friends and I think that made this year's finish line crossing even sweeter. Great support, great course, awesome volunteers and just all around great! Looking forward to running it again next year...with a faster time!

• =patrice Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 27, 2009
    23. Oct 18, 2010 10:17 AM (in response to Guest )

Awesome time out there yesterday!!!  I run with the So Cal Pacers, and loved that they reserved spots for running clubs, and LOVED that we could set up the day before!!!!

Really appreciated that they put our goodies after we finished the race into a bag!!! Great idea!!!  It's usually a task trying to carry more than one item afterwards, but we still want them!  Also appreciated the chocolate milk at the end!!!  Volunteers along the course were amazing!!!!  Thank you Run Racing!!!!

• Music 4 ur soul Rookie 6 posts since
    Nov 2, 2007
    24. Oct 18, 2010 10:17 AM (in response to Guest )

This is a great race.  It was really cool to see so many Riverside Road Runners attend. 

• AdriRip Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    25. Oct 18, 2010 10:19 AM (in response to Guest )

The start line area was so hectic! The lack of organized waves made it really hard to make your way to the wave you wanted due to the crowds. Also spent the first two miles or so trying to pass people...a little frustrating. Also, the line for the bridge was so long - maybe get two next time? The bag check was also super unorganized and they took 20 minutes to find my bag (I was scared they lost it!).

Other than that the race was awesome! Loved the beautiful Long Beach course. So many supporters, loved the tons of water stations and snacks, excellent finish line festival! Definitely had a great race day!

• KristenWhite Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 14, 2008
    26. Oct 18, 2010 10:20 AM (in response to Guest )

I had an awesome race!  The weather and road conditions were great.  The mile markers were visible, the aid stations were at the right time, and the music along the way was motivating.

However, I was very frustrated with the lines...for the porta potties, sardine like conditions at the starting line, the line to cross the bridge post race, and the line for retrieving my bag (highly unorganized).

I finished my race at 8:50 a.m. and after going through all that i stated above, wasn't ready to walk to my car until 10:35 a.m.  AND I never even made it to the beer tent or any of the after race festivities....I was trying to get back to the bag check to get my phone so I could call my family...once I did I said forget it.

• jatena Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009
    27. Oct 18, 2010 10:20 AM (in response to Guest )

I did the half! Great race! very well organized! Great support, great course, awesome volunteers and just all around great! Looking forward to running it! just Love it!

• Blue Jewel Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 7, 2009
    28. Oct 18, 2010 10:21 AM (in response to Guest )

Absolutely wonderful event! Everyone was so positve, it was organized, and fun! Terrific support through out the whole course!

Sounds like I am glad I did not check any bags in! No complaints, it was fantastic!!!

• Raj Ghuman Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 8, 2008
    29. Oct 18, 2010 10:21 AM (in response to Guest )

The marathon could have been better prepared.  it was humid and I was drenched is sweat the first mile.  There was no gatorade or electrolyte suppliments for first six miles.  This unexcusible as there is no way for the body to replenish necessary electrolytes.  What made it worse was that after the six miles, it was very hard to find gatorade, but powerade was served instead.  As you know powerade, does not provide with electrolytes needed.  Please, please, provide runners with eletrolytes starting from first water stop and then do it religously.  Lot of runners from Team Asha end up getting cramps and I strictly blame the marathon organizers for this lack for planning.  For this reason alone, I am not planning to run this again, unless things change.

1 2 3 4 ... 27 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...