Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

56317 Views 402 Replies Latest reply: Nov 12, 2010 12:19 PM by ruddygirl Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27 Previous Next
  • xjaywalker Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 9, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Oct 18, 2010 10:31 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Long Beach International City Bank Marathon Reviews

This was my 3rd Half Marathon and it was scenic course. The only issues of concern were going over the bridge to get to the parking lots and the bag checkin was really disorganized. Other then that the staff and supporters along the course were great. The city of Long Beach did a great job. I will be back next year.

• Sarah51226 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 24, 2009
    46. Oct 18, 2010 10:31 AM (in response to Guest )

I like the course, and the flow of the whole event.

The only complaint I have is about the overall vibe of the event. My most memorable events I've attended are the one's where the community is very involved. I love to see the community out cheering the local business and Highschools out having a blast supporting all the runners. It makes the whole event just a little more awesome. I saw spectators but nothing like the Classic City Crescent or the San Antonio Rock N Roll. Miles 5-10 was very quiet :o(

Oh also the baggage claim thing... I too had a friend wait about an hour waiting for their bag.

• Kimberg Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 31, 2009
    47. Oct 18, 2010 10:31 AM (in response to Guest )

It was my first 1/2 marathon.  The was no way to get into the Wave that I wanted based on my projected finish time, especially after waiting 40 minutes to use the restrooms.

I thought all of the volunteers were great. I would have liked water to have been a little sooner in the first 3 miles but it didn't kill me.  Honestly, I thought the first 6 miles were redundant. It was a bit of a downer to keep circling around the same area before we even got past where we started.

It was still awesome, it would have been nice to have had the music stations more evenly spaced through out the run, instead of mainly in the last 3 miles.

It was still an awesome experience and I can't wait to do it again next year and best my time.

• jennshaka Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    48. Oct 18, 2010 10:31 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my second half-marathon, and I was a little disappointed.  There were several people with strollers on the course and some people with their dogs.  That is very dangerous and rude.  I never saw them pulled off the course. 

Not much on-course entertainment.

The waves were very unorganized in the beginning and people were really pushing to get to their places.

It deserves 2 stars but I am giving it three only because it is a very nice course along the beach and down Ocean Blvd.  Very flat and fast.

• KatieA801 Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 2, 2009
    49. Oct 18, 2010 10:32 AM (in response to Guest )

I don't even know where to start!  The expo was sad and cramped.  They could have easily made more room for the vendors.  No one at the expo knew what was going on, information had no idea about drop bags.  When I asked them how they would know the bag was mine, they told me to tape something on it.  I told them I was staying in a hotel and didn't have any of that; they just looked at me blankly. 

The start was insane.  NO START CORRALS?  Are you kidding me?  With 20,000  runners, this was a HUGE mistake.  People were in the front that should not have been.  It was chaotic, hectic and just insane. 

The water stops were well manned, but I was in the front of the pack, running a sub 1:40 half, I have no idea if it was still that well organized by the time the majority of runners got there.  The course was okay, nothing spectacular.

The finish was AWFUL!  Complete and utter chaos.  It was cramped, no volunteers knew anything again.  The map showed they would move our bags out to the finish area.  WRONG!  We had to go back to the place we dropped them off to retrieve them.  And to get back over there, we had to wait in line to go over a foot bridge!!!  Are you kidding me?  One way in and one way out?  With 20,000  people?  This was irresponsible and not thought of at all.  It was so cramped and crazy, people were getting angry. 

I'm really sad how disorganized this race was.  It was NOT cheap and talked a big game.  I traveled down to the race over 350 miles and I have never been so disappointed in a race before.  The race magazine that should have had the right info was awful.  The map was TOO SMALL to even read - plus, again, it told us wrong info (i.e. the bag drop/pick-up).  They even called the timing chips, "B"-tags - they are "D"-tags.  Plus, lots of spelling errors in the magazine, it just showed that they did not pay attention to details, which also played out in the expo and race.

I can honestly say I will never run this race again.  Which is sad, it has potential to be really nice.  But I think RUN RACING is more interested in the bottom line then in putting on a great race.

• WUTAHOTTY Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 8, 2009
    50. Oct 18, 2010 10:32 AM (in response to Guest )

Wow..Nothing but great things to say except one!  KIDS FUN RUN...Totally disusted and INSULTED that there was not ONE type of snack and such a tiny bottle of watyer for the kids. My son came back to me with an orange that he paid $1.50 for!!! That is insulting.  I know the race was free and the medals were amazing but honestly?  Charging for the fruit?  On the other hand, my half marathon was well done..It completely didnt match up with my Garmin though. almost off 3/4 mile by the end of the race (.77) not sure how that happens.  Will do again and it was a great medal!

• MiaCB Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009
    51. Oct 18, 2010 10:32 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half marathon, and I enjoyed the scenery. It was great. Yeah there are some things that can be changed, but all in all, I'll be doing it again. I do have to say the volunteers did a great job!!! And one specific poster that stood out to me only because like I said this was my first half marathon was "You're legs will forgive you EVENTUALLY" that made me smile.

MiaCB

• DrewHardin0 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    52. Oct 18, 2010 10:32 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first LB race (I ran the half) and I agree with a lot of the posts here. The course is just awesome, the volunteers were friendly, the crowds kept us motivated and you can't beat the scenery. On the downside: traffic getting into LB was awful, as were the porta potty lines pre-race (out of toilet paper at 7 a.m.? C'mon!) and the line to get over the bridge post-race. The bag check was a nightmare that we avoided completely. PowerAde (or some other electrolyte drink) at more of the water stations would be appreciated. It's a great race that needs some logistical improvements to handle the crowds.

• DAOjeda Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 27, 2008
    53. Oct 18, 2010 10:33 AM (in response to Guest )

This is really 2.5 stars.  This is a great course in a great City, but there are a few adjustments that could make this much better.  First, the bag drop was a fiasco.  There was zero organization and it took forever to get our red Jet Blue bags after the run; when you're done the last thing you want is to wait in a long line to get your stuff.  Second, the starting process leaves a lot to be desired, with people scrambling to get to certain waives.  They should organize it so that each number has a wave associated with it and you are required to go with your wave, rather than letting everyone just muscle in there.  Third, and most important, they need to create public transportation options to get in and out of the event.  There should be dedicated shuttle busses getting people in and out there and running on a continual, every 15 minute basis.  There are many other race models out there to follow, like the LA Triathlon, SF Bay to Breakers, etc. where public transport is key.  Race organizers should prioritize the public transport options and create a path for buses to get in, out and through the roadblocks.  Oh, and more gatorade on the first 12 k, please.

• willard Schwartz Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    54. Oct 18, 2010 10:34 AM (in response to Guest )

This is my thrid time doing this bike tour the weather was GREAT i liked that once you were thought you could get out and go home if you wanted to and i like the baraers at the end so the rides would slow down the fruit at the end was very good   

• cmanglal Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 21, 2009
    55. Oct 18, 2010 10:34 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half marathon and I was happy to have experienced it in Long Beach.  I really enjoyed the course by being able to see some landmarks, run alongside the beach, the music, and people!  The medal and shirts were nice as well.  I just thought there were a lot of runners, which felt overcrowding at some points.  Nonetheless, I loved my first half marathon experience!!!  It was very rewarding.

• RunnerRichard Amateur 12 posts since
    Sep 27, 2007
    56. Oct 18, 2010 10:34 AM (in response to Guest )

Wishing that it was still held on Columbus day weekend, giving participants another day to tour Long Beach and travel to Catalina as my wife and I did in past years.

Having the bag check on the other side of the bridge from the expo was a disaster, having to stand in line to get dry clothing and then back in line to get back for results and awards and then back in line to check out of hotel. Have to do  better next year or lose faithful runners...please make it clear that this has been corrected. Thanks for a great race otherwise.

RunnerRichard

• gbad Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    57. Oct 18, 2010 10:35 AM (in response to Guest )

A friend and I rode the bike marathon.  Why not have waves like the runners; this would allow the hotshots to avoid weaving throught traffic to get to the front and avoid near accidents that require a lot of skill to avoid.  There are several places where you are expected to make sharp turns; later in the marathon when the traffic is spread out this is a problem, but not a big problem, but early on you are forced to almost come to a complete stop to deal with the traffic and avoid an accident.  The mix of experienced riders and newbees creates a difficult situationn.  This is the second time I have participated and my friends and I experienced the same problems last year.  We will be back in 2011; we hope some of these problems will be corrected.  All in all we did have a good experience.  These comments are meant to be constructive.

• gbad Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010
    58. Oct 18, 2010 10:35 AM (in response to Guest )

A friend and I rode the bike marathon.  Why not have waves like the runners; this would allow the hotshots to avoid weaving throught traffic to get to the front and avoid near accidents that require a lot of skill to avoid.  There are several places where you are expected to make sharp turns; later in the marathon when the traffic is spread out this is a problem, but not a big problem, but early on you are forced to almost come to a complete stop to deal with the traffic and avoid an accident.  The mix of experienced riders and newbees creates a difficult situationn.  This is the second time I have participated and my friends and I experienced the same problems last year.  We will be back in 2011; we hope some of these problems will be corrected.  All in all we did have a good experience.  These comments are meant to be constructive.

• Nbahman Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    59. Oct 18, 2010 10:35 AM (in response to Guest )

The course was great but the organization and logistics was horrible! When they have 25,000 participants, they need to be more efficient. First of all, it was a pain in order to get to your respective wave since they only way in getting there is pushing past people from the slower waves...there is no passage way along the side. You can only imagine how annoying it was having to push pass 5 waves. There was a ridiculous line to get over to the other side in order to get your bags and exit the finish line area. Some people were saying they waited over an hour long! Luckily, I found another route but it?s absurd for people to stand in line that line. And speaking of absurd...guess how long I waited in line to get my bags? 1 hour and a half! That was the cherry on top of the sundae. I've run A LOT of races and that is the first time I've experienced anything like this.  Unless this race becomes better organized, I don't plan on running it again. 

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 27 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...