Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

10574 Views 26 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2010 1:27 PM by GarylDavis Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Michael Spurlock Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 15, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Sep 29, 2010 7:57 AM (in response to harpNcycle)
    Re: My son has had 10 flats this year

Good Tire with Kevlar lining/belt is a must to help combat flats. Liners help too.. Spend the money for a good durable tire like Gatorskins or Hard Case from bontrager.. Everyone has a Kevlar belted tire out.. Gonna be 40$+ for a good one... 2 flats in 4000 miles this year on Bontrager Hardcase RaceXlites

• MotiveForcer Community Moderator 448 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    16. Sep 30, 2010 12:38 AM (in response to harpNcycle)

It seems as if this problem has been solved as it was a rim issue.  The original question did not state if it was one wheel or the other but it turned out to be both.

Generally, I save my tubes and inspect them to determine where the hole is as a previous rider mentioned. I will then go back to that locale on the tire or rim and inspect it for a sliver or glass or thorn that I might have missed when on the road doing the repair or just dragging my finger through.  Then, in addition, it is crucial to make sure that the tubes are not being pinched by the tire against or between the rim so that upon pumping they will explode!  When I pump up my tires I will stop part way and inspect both sides of the tires to make sure that the tube is not pushing through.  When done I'll spin the tire while holding it (before remounting it) and make sure the tire appears to be going around without bulges.  If so, I will quickly let out the air, or most of it, and repump.

I recommend also, when mounting new tubes, to use talc/baby powder on them to allow them to slide in easier when mounting and diminish the risk of the tube adhering to the tire itself.  One buddy who rode his mountain bike 17,171 miles last year (every day here in Michigan which can get nasty) puts some talc in a baggy with his tube while in his saddle bag. I think it a great idea though I'll admit to not doing it frequently enough.

Rim/spoke issues not withstanding, we sometimes get a run of bad luck as mentioned. I did once decide to just go ahead and purchase a box of a dozen or so tubes and darn if they weren't all giving way at the valve.  Now, when taking the pump off of the valve, I will usually use that little rounded bolt that secures the valve to the rim but the reason I use it is that I'll hold onto that bolt so that when I pull the valve of the pump off of the presta valve I am less likely to pull the presta valve off of the tire itself. I new pump that is particularly snug maks it more likely to do this.

I also strongly urge all cyclists to keep in their saddle bag a "tire boot."  Park sells them, about 3 for $4.99 or so. These can be used in the event that you cut your tire or puncture it so that the replacement tube would just come through and blow out immediately. It is a quicky repair that will get you home (without calling your significant other which is a cyclist's biggest no no of course!) and is far superior than using a dollar or a mylar candy bar wrapper as the credit card sized patch has an adhesive on it that allows it to sit it in place most readily.  There is something of a Murphy's Law with this. If you have one you are less likely to need it but boy, are you a hero when you hand one to your pal who tears a tire 20 miles from home!

When those tires flatten out, replace them.  The rear is more likely to go than the front, I'd say wear is about 2 to 1 but I'll rotate my tires starting at about 500 or 700 miles as I like to keep a set together if I might and when I put a new set on it makes the bike appear new again.  There are plenty of great tires out there. Most companies that are online have "reviews" that you can read that relate to performance and include durability as a criteria.  Check them out.

Heads up!
    EJ

• HughPBrien Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 1, 2008
    17. Oct 4, 2010 8:27 AM (in response to HalfCentury)

I am having the same problem on both of my rims.  I have had flats during my last two sprint-tri races.  It is very frustrating.  This information will be very helpful.  I will post when I figure out what it is.

Hugh

• GarylDavis Expert 46 posts since
    Aug 6, 2010
    18. Oct 4, 2010 9:23 AM (in response to HughPBrien)

You have a book's worth of information.  Good luck and let us know. 

• martician11 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 6, 2008
    20. Oct 5, 2010 1:15 PM (in response to xmspades)

Where do you find Gatorskins for $25? I cannot find them in San Diego for less than $40, but they are awesome tires! I put 2500 miles on my back tire and only had two flats - ever - and they were both in the last week I used the tire.

• giltperez Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 23, 2009
    21. Oct 12, 2010 2:14 PM (in response to HalfCentury)

I recently had SIX flats during a 65-mile bike ride in Corpus Christi, Texas.  Talk about being frustrated!  I just replaced my rim tape hoping this solves my problem.  So far so good but we’ll find out this weekend during a 50-Mile ride in Goliad.

Jul 9, 2007
    22. Oct 12, 2010 2:23 PM (in response to giltperez)

I hope so too!

But I always take my tubes home, pump them up and try to find the hole. If I don't detect the breeze I stick them in the sink.
    The hole will be on the rim side or the tire side. You can figure it out where it is relative to the valve hole and find that tiny shard of glass that others missed or a thorn or rim tape that slid over.

I almost always can figure out why I flatted.

EJ

• Jerry Rhodes Rookie 2 posts since
    Apr 21, 2010
    23. Oct 17, 2010 7:45 PM (in response to HalfCentury)

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is "seating the bead".  When a tube "blows out" when it is being pumped up it is due to the tire not being properly seated on the rim.  Some tire/rim combinations are notorious for this.  If the tire is easy to remove with your fingers then it is a likely candidate for this type of failure.  When reinflating the tire it is crucial to go all around the tire pushing the sidewall to the outside of the diameter of the wheel until the mold mark at the bead is even all of the way around.  Inflate to about 10 lbs so the tire can be easily moved.  When the tire is completely centered on the rim then take it to full pressure.

The most perplexing "flat" problem I ever had was a small cut in the casing that was "invisible" upon inspection but would cause a flat in about 4 or 5 miles.  I noticed that the hole in the tube was in the same place EVERY time and looked like it had been chewed.  I inverted the casing and lo and behold the nasty little "mouth" opened up and was finally visible.  I put a patch over the mouth" on the inside ot the casing and "lived happily ever after".

Jul 9, 2007
    24. Oct 17, 2010 7:53 PM (in response to Jerry Rhodes)

Yes Sir,

That is why I recommend checking out every flat. Inspect the tube and determine where on the tire that hole lined up.  Not tough to do.  Is it rim side or tire side. I've found the tiniest shards of glass that way.  Also, using a tire boot to heel a tire torn through is easy (though usually a temporary fix!)

Have fun everyone!

EJ

• GarylDavis Expert 46 posts since
    Aug 6, 2010
    26. Oct 18, 2010 1:27 PM (in response to HalfCentury)

Intersting turn of events I would say.  But hey, you've fixed one and you will only get better.  You're first flat too, well it's bound to happen at some point & time.

My wife, as a child came from the Azore Islands in Portugal (Father was in the Navy) and they settled in Bucks County, PA in the early 1950's.  She has always told me how beautiful it is there.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points