Skip navigation

2520 Views 14 Replies Latest reply: Oct 20, 2010 5:45 AM by x_39_and_holding_x
DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 19, 2010 5:00 AM

10/19: Accidents

Today on our 4.3 miler, Denise and I came across an accident in our neighborhood. On the road - shall I call it raceway? - out the development, a lady had just crushed in her front end on one of the pear trees. The airbag had gone off. She was uninjured, sitting on the curb while a policeman filed his report. It is fortunate she hit a tree: the corner also had children waiting for the school bus in the pre-dawn darkness.

Maybe it is small of me, but I can't say I had any sympathy for her. At 6 AM in our neighborhood, the sidewalks are populated with kids going to school and suburbanites walking dogs, walkers, and runners. While the speed limit is 25 mph, most vehicles come through at much higher speeds. She went off the road, unable to handle a bend. She could easily have killed someone vice demolishing her car against a tree. The neighborhood loses one or two pears elining the drives and courts to cars that go off the road, jump the curb, and smashes into a tree every year or so.

Fortunately, no one was hurt.

Healthy running, all.

• Andrew... Legend 273 posts since
    Jan 24, 2008
    1. Oct 19, 2010 6:48 AM (in response to DaveVause)
    Re: 10/19: Accidents

Dave,

As you were running by, did you say to Denise, in a LOUD voice, "What an Idiot. How fast do you think she was driving? I think at least 40?" It's even better it Denise answers in a LOUDER voice saying "I bet she was putting on mascara. You can see didn't do it that well."  And then you (even LOUDER yet) shout back "Nah, on second thought, she was probably just heads down on her Blackberry." [and continue on until you are well out of earshot...]

Happy Running,

• Running-Micky Amateur 31 posts since
    Jan 11, 2010
    3. Oct 19, 2010 8:19 AM (in response to DaveVause)

Hi,

on my 5 mile run today, I had to deal with lots of doggy shi... and dogs running right to me ( they only want to play was the common answer) but nobody understands that I don´t want to play with dogs during my training.

Hope to see you all in a few days.

Happy running.

Marion

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    4. Oct 19, 2010 9:10 AM (in response to DaveVause)

The driver was probably texting also, I can not tell you how many people I see driving and texting!

I ran a easy 5 this morning on tank trails.

• Becky8846 Legend 686 posts since
    Apr 1, 2009
    5. Oct 19, 2010 10:08 AM (in response to DaveVause)

Dave - I hear you in your frustration!  Everyone be careful out there!  We are still unraveling our weekend trauma leaving all of us out of sorts.  My sister and brother-in-law were in town for our God-sister's wedding (that's how we've always called ourselves since our parents were her God-parents).  Anywho, after a beautiful time with the old gang all together, my sister was making a wake up call to her son (20) back in Kansas City who had the big job Sunday morning to wake up and go to the Boy Scout Camp to get his younger brother (16, but no license yet) and bring him home in time for his gig at the local grocery store.  My nephew (the 20 year old) is currently working with the authorities over a plea deal on a racing charge.  Uh huh.  My sister thought she was waking him up, but he'd gotten up early and headed out to camp.  It's a country road, gravel, and very curvy.  Yee haw!  Uh huh again.  He was standing on the side of the road with my sister's car on its side waiting for the cops and AAA.  He was unhurt, thank goodness, but my sister's car was totaled.  What is affecting us even more than all of that irritation and inconvenience is that he absolutely refuses to take the blame for that accident - only one on the road, no swerving for wildlife, no visibility problem on a bright sunny morning.  He and my sister had reconnoitered this drive earlier in the week so he was familiar.  The only answer is that he was racing around those curves and throwing gravel all over the countryside until one got away from him, which he denies saying that the gravel was too slick (dry day), the curves were too sharp, and the shoulder had too much of a drop off.  My husband and I have gone over and over how we would handle this.  We just hope my sister and brother-in-law catch on before someone gets hurt.  He may be 20 but he's not old enough to drive.  My husband went right to the computer and put some cash in our daughter's (also 20) account.  She goes, "What's this?"  He goes, "Thanks for not being your cousin!"

Whew - thanks for the vent, y'all.

I didn't do my whole run yesterday due to the out of sorts attitude earlier described, so I finished off the mileage today and did my today's mileage for a total of 7 1/2 (3 1/2 yesterday), then I went and did my weight lifting and situps routine (which I was supposed to have done on Sunday).  I was all behind, now I'm cauaght up which makes me feel a little better.  I have given up on the pushups routine for a bit - I was stuck.  My husband has recommended a bench press routine with a progression that has done amazing things to him this year (he looks awesome! and is benching 285 now!).  Of course I'm starting way lower than that, but I'm trying out his system and see if I can improve my upper body strength which is dreadfully wimpy.

Hope everyone's Tuesday comes along and turns out great!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,430 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    6. Oct 19, 2010 10:38 AM (in response to DaveVause)

I just did a quick 4 miles at lunch today.

No accidents to report.

Len

• mikehelvey Legend 516 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Oct 19, 2010 3:36 PM (in response to DaveVause)

I had a driver swerve into my path the other day... on purpose!  He was a local doctor who was "fed up" with all the runners who don't wear reflective gear.  This was at like before 6am.   Granted this day I had forgotten my belt...so I did feel his frustration was justified.  However, if I was thinking I would have called emergency services and reported that he attempted to hit me.  I know he just wanted to make a point because he stopped and made a deal out of us not wearing reflective gear (there were three of us).  Still, I wanted to make a point that his actions were just as dangerous.  Anyhow... a frustrating situation all around.

v/r,

Mike

"We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness. By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness.." -David Weatherford

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    9. Oct 19, 2010 5:23 PM (in response to mikehelvey)

That doctor is nuts

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,430 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    10. Oct 19, 2010 6:20 PM (in response to skypilot77)

Yeah, I'd have been sorely tempted to call the cops.

Len

• mikehelvey Legend 516 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Oct 19, 2010 7:03 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Yup... but somehow I was just too nice...until I thought about it later. :-)  Besides, it was in the middle of a good run.

"We enjoy warmth because we have been cold. We appreciate light because we have been in darkness. By the same token, we can experience joy because we have known sadness.." -David Weatherford

• MikeDaMarine08 We're Not Worthy 2,498 posts since
    Aug 14, 2008
    12. Oct 20, 2010 5:32 AM (in response to DaveVause)

2 1/2 with the New Energy Youth group in my Five Fingers.

MCM '09, '10, '11

Richmond Marathon '09

RNR Arizona Marathon '10

RNR Mardi Gras Marathon '10

Shamrock Marathon '10, '12

Frederick Marathon '10

Madison Marathon '10

1/2 Sauer 1/2 Kraut Marathon '10

Baltimore Marathon '10

Outer Banks Marathon '10

Seashore 50K

Houston '12

Flying Pig '12

Next Race - MCM Baby!!!!!!

• x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    13. Oct 20, 2010 5:45 AM (in response to MikeDaMarine08)

Boys and girls... DO NOT VEER for animals.

Seriously... I know you don't want to kill a little squirrel or the defenseless deer but you're going to WRECK your car worse swerving into a tree or building so you don't hurt that animal.

This past weekend I was on my way to northern MI and came upon an accident (rollover into the trees in the median) where 2 UofM students were killed, 2 other UofM students were seriously injured and one Michigan State student was also injured.  All from China.  The state police thought the driver might have been texting.

I don't know how the lady in Dave's original post can lose control on a 25 MPH road without doing about 50 AND not paying attention.

Trees don't move.  Animals do.  Don't ruin your day for wildlife.

</soapbox>

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!
  • Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
    Dec 15, 2007
    14. Oct 20, 2010 6:22 AM (in response to x_39_and_holding_x)

I agree with Jerry in the fact of never swirving to miss hitting an animal.  I will if I know I can avoid both an accident and the animal but usually I just brace myself and hope for the best.

As for the doctor I would bait his dumb arse into another situation and drive the jackass to do it again so I could report it as a second occurence.  His rage needs an outlet and driving a heavy vehicle at innicent people is not the answer.  Heck report him again or at least report him to his supervisors.  Oh and then go remove the valve stem from his tires.

This place is like home!!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...