Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2258995 Views 11,399 Replies Latest reply: Oct 3, 2014 9:50 AM by Kelly1066 Go to original post 1 ... 255 256 257 258 259 ... 760 Previous Next
  • Jaysohn Expert 54 posts since
    Aug 20, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    3,840. Oct 19, 2010 1:37 PM (in response to ohiodad271)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

@ohiodad I run with 2 dogs from time to time, my running partner  brings them.  It definitely can make it more difficult to keep a steady  pace, but what I've found is that once I get them truly under control,  where they undertand that unless they walk / run with me we will not go  anywhere, they do pretty well.  It definitely takes some patience and  determination, but it is possible.  We do pee stops in the first 5 mins  when I'm walking.  The last time we went out, I had to walk / stop a LOT  to get their attention until we were all 3 able to run together with no  pulling  / fighting for direction and control.  I don't count these  runs as timed runs or antyhing yet - they are more dog obedience  training runs :-)  I would encourage you to not always take the dog with  you until he is a good running partner.  Try to get out a couple times  by yourself so you can get a good paced run in. but don't give up on  him.. eventually having a dog to keep you company on your runs will be  cool!

I've been out of my running game for a couple  weeks now - I went out of town for a golf trip and did not run once!   Tonight I'll be heading to the gym to get back into the swing of  things.  I think I'm going to do a 5 min warm up and try to run 20 mins  non-stop (wk5d3) and just take it from there. Maybe do some weight  training after the run. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Jason

nike+: jaysohn

began c25k: 8/14/2009

First 5k: 10/2/2010 Kell High School

• gdsmit1 Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    3,841. Oct 19, 2010 1:51 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Well, I'm not running again tonight.  My shins are so sore that I can't do it.  It isn't horrible when I'm walking, but I can really feel it going down stairs.  Hopefully I'll be able to run tomorrow, if not, then Thursday.  I don't want to hurt myself and not get back to running.

Greg

Nike + id: gdsmit1

Graduated C25K: 26 December 2010

Upcoming races:

• SallyMari Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 17, 2010
    3,842. Oct 19, 2010 2:14 PM (in response to Wideguy)

So I am back into the groove of things....kind of! I cross trained on the elliptical yesterday and started my intervals today. Wow did my calves burn! I was able to work on my breathing though, thanks for the tips! I still don't feel like I will ever be able to run for more than 30 seconds without feeling like I am going to die. I hope that someday I will look back in amazement that I COULDN'T run for 30 seconds straight. Anyhow, thanks for the supportive words and advice, it sure helps! Happy trails! 

• yogabudorunner Legend 292 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    3,843. Oct 19, 2010 5:31 PM (in response to gdsmit1)

gdsmit1 wrote:

Well, I'm not running again tonight.  My shins are so sore that I can't do it.  It isn't horrible when I'm walking, but I can really feel it going down stairs.  Hopefully I'll be able to run tomorrow, if not, then Thursday.  I don't want to hurt myself and not get back to running.

I'm really sorry to hear you aren't feeling so great.  Rest is definitely the thing.  I bet you'll be back to it in no time!!

SwimBikeRen

Yogini

Budoka

SwimBikeRUN!!!

Triathlete in training. 

2010 Turkey Trot Houston 5K:  46:00
    Austin Half Marathon:  Finished 3:06:18

Bayou City Classic 10K:  Finished 1:22:27
    TriGirl Super Sprint Triathlon (5/8/11)

The greatest journeys answer questions that, in the beginning, you didn't even think to ask.

• gdsmit1 Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 20, 2010
    3,844. Oct 19, 2010 6:11 PM (in response to yogabudorunner)

I'm feeling much better this evening, but good enough to run tonight.  I'm thinking since it was so painful this time and I'm off on Thursday, maybe I'll give it one more day.  I just hate to delay it more.  But Thursday should allow me to run outside again instead on the treadmill.

Greg

Nike + id: gdsmit1

Graduated C25K: 26 December 2010

Upcoming races:

• Jaysohn Expert 54 posts since
    Aug 20, 2010
    3,845. Oct 19, 2010 6:14 PM (in response to gdsmit1)

Felt good to get out and run again! Wasn't able to do the whole 20 min jog I planned on, mostly because I was working with my friend on getting a sub 9:00 mile pace going.  I ran about 12:00 non-stop, walked for a bit, then did some sprint / walk intervals.  At the end of a 30 min workout, really felt like I worked out my quads (unusual for me) and had no pain in my calves, which was amazing!  Looking forward to running again on Thursday.

Jason

• musicteacher29 Pro 103 posts since
    Oct 3, 2010
    3,846. Oct 19, 2010 7:46 PM (in response to Wideguy)

I have a question.. is it possible for someone to continue to lose inches, but not weight?  I mean I know it is possible, but at what point will the fat finally say "I give up" and start to melt away?  Can someone have a 29inch waist and weigh 200lbs (sarcasm).

Rochambeau Ramble 5K- 10/16

Love Your Body 5K- 10/23

Pumpkin Run 5K - 10/31

Rochambeau Ramble 5K- 10/16- 34:52

Love Your Body 5K- 10/23- 33:04

5 MILE Kent Pumpkin Run  - 10/31- 53:47

5 Mile (4.75) EBAC Fall Challenge- 11/13- 50:12

Hot Coco 5K 11/20-  32:28

Sweetheart Run 5mile- 2/12/2011- (INJURED)

Freihofer's Run for Women- 6/4/2011-

• austinsgrandma Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 16, 2010
    3,847. Oct 19, 2010 8:06 PM (in response to Wideguy)

I first posted here a few months back when I had completed wk1d1 of c2k.  I was excited about starting my journey.

Unfortunately life got in the way - a serious operation (my husband), a less serious operation (myself) and a death in the family (my brother). I didnt continue the journey and now find myself 10 pounds heavier and barely able to walk let alone run.

What I am looking for is encouragement to get back on the program.  I am ready to try again because I cant stand the way I look and feel now.

Any advice on getting started would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, I am now 115lbs overweight.

Lynn

• GunthorTM Pro 190 posts since
    Aug 8, 2010
    3,848. Oct 19, 2010 9:21 PM (in response to austinsgrandma)

@austinsgrandma- I am very sorry for your loss.  The best thing you can do is to just restart the C25K program, and do what you can if you have to repeat days or weeks then you do.  Over time you will get stronger and be able to advance through the program.  Take some time and read through the past post here and you will see a lot of people who took more time to finish the program, the important thing is to keep moving.

Not all who wander are lost.

Puckerface 5K 9/11/10 44:27

Haunted Hustle Trail 5K 10/24/10 49:06

Portage Y 10th Annual Turkey Trot 11/25/10 41:27

Foot Pursuit 5K Trail Run 3/5/11 55:41 (Hilly & Muddy)

OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon 5/7/2011 3:27:07

Nativity Fest 5K 6/26/11 43:34- 3rd Place Clysdales

Red Dawn 5K Cross Country race 45:46 DLF

Rotatary Ramble 8/13/11 45:06

Puckerface 5K 9/10/11 42:59

• margaretnz Rookie 6 posts since
    Aug 19, 2010
    3,849. Oct 19, 2010 11:01 PM (in response to SallyMari)

SallyMari - You are exactly right! When I started I could barely run the one minute intervals and I just completed W5D3 (20 mins running) and feel amazing!

• BigBonedLawyer Legend 305 posts since
    Jul 6, 2010
    3,850. Oct 20, 2010 4:00 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Another 30 minute run down.  One more 20 this week and a 2 mile sprint.  I'm going to push it up to 35 next week and see what happens.  I've noticed that my body seems to set itself for 30 minutes now.  When that voice says run complete, my legs are walking before my conscious self evens realizes it.  Hopefully that's just because I'm doing 30 minute runs.

Threw in 3 200 yard "sprints" during my run.  Really it was just to make me alter my pace from the steady 10 minute mile plod I keep falling into.  Hopefully this is close enough to      Fartlek for now.

Nike+ - BBL17

Tracking my progress - http://bigbonedlawyer.blogspot.com/

2010 Cobb Make A Wish http://cobbcounty.org/makeawish5k/ - 30:03 111/252 no walking

2010 Run for Justice http://www.rungeorgia.com/runforjustice.html - 28:10 no walking 105/343

2010 Sleighbells on the Square http://www.cobbcountybar.org/pdfs/Sleighbells%202010%20flyer.pdf  - 27:26 no walking 120/5xx

2011 Big Peach 5k http://www.bigpeachrunningco.com/ 33:00 after 4 months no running.  Walked about .5 miles total.

2011 Peachtree Roadrace  - http://www.peachtreeroadrace.org/ 1:11:00 on 3 weeks of training.  Finished in the top half overall.

• yogabudorunner Legend 292 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    3,851. Oct 20, 2010 5:03 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Guess who just finished Week 4 Day 1??

That'd be me.

2.0 miles for the win.

After all my moanin' and groanin' over the 3 minute run on Week 3, I sure did fine today.  I paused twice on the second 5 minute run cuz I had massive painful cramp in my side.  Other than that, slow and steady for the run.  I felt great.  It's super early still here and I had intended to wake up for an early yoga class.  Overslept so I put on my shoes and went for a run.

Could it be?  I'm a runner??  Nah..  not yet.. 

I did 10 miles on the bike last night.  OOhhhh YEAH love the bike.  Gonna go for my fit soon, probably next Monday.  My superawesome Tri friend Keri tells me now is a great time to buy a road bike.  May people getting rid of theirs since Tri season just ended.  I'll officially start my Tri training in January.  That gives me five months to really train.

Glad to hear you guys are hanging in there.  Hello to all the new faces.  I hope to be able to contribute more soon.  This week is super hectic.  I have to take my car in for a tire thing today.  I also need to find a swimsuit that won't come off my body when I swim.

Good times.

Giddyup!!

SwimBikeRen

Yogini

Budoka

SwimBikeRUN!!!

Triathlete in training. 

2010 Turkey Trot Houston 5K:  46:00
    Austin Half Marathon:  Finished 3:06:18

Bayou City Classic 10K:  Finished 1:22:27
    TriGirl Super Sprint Triathlon (5/8/11)

The greatest journeys answer questions that, in the beginning, you didn't even think to ask.

• Trishinator Legend 234 posts since
    Mar 22, 2010
    3,852. Oct 20, 2010 6:43 AM (in response to yogabudorunner)

You know you've turned a corner when you start getting pissed when life gets in the way of running!  I made it out this morning for my first run in 9 days and I desperately needed it.  I feel like I've lost the good habits that I created running 3 days a week for 6 months leading up to my 5K since I haven't run 3 times a week since then.  Always seems to be too much to do and not enough time to do it all - and sometimes you just have to choose what you're going to spend your time and energy on.  I was starting to feel stuck in that vicious circle where I am too tired to run, and the reason I am tired is because I haven't run, so this morning I hauled my butt out of bed and went for a run.  It felt great .

After the very chaotic events of last weekend (without going into details, a planned 30 minute doctor appointment with a friend to get his back surgery scheduled turned into 12 hours at the hospital waiting for him to have the surgery and get settled into a room, followed by 3 days of spending time visiting), I've had to decide that I'm not going to do the 5k mud run at the end of this month like I was hoping.  My running has been off this whole month, and I essentially have no down time between now and then.  I'm traveling next week to Virginia and won't get to run much while I am there due my work schedule - and the fact that it's a minimum of 10 hours of traveling each way for me.  Kind of bummed, but I will target a run in November instead.

Off to get ready for work.  Happy running!

C25K Graduate - 5/22/10, Started over 1/3/12

One Hour Runner Graduate - 7/30/10

Nike + id: tjkness

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9/26/10 - 5K at the Lake Tahoe Marathon - 47:47

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3,853. Oct 20, 2010 7:14 AM (in response to Trishinator)

I came in to moderate some advertising posted to the group, but stayed to read some of the inspiring posts and life stories. This is a great thread.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...