Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

937 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Oct 20, 2010 1:27 PM by Surfing_Vol RSS
JanRoovers Rookie 1 posts since
Oct 5, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 20, 2010 12:48 PM

Any helpfull ideas for running in the morning in the fall?

Hello everyone,

I started running again a while ago after a knee injury, and running is going quiet well I can say.

I normally run at 06:30.

Lately because it is colder, darker and raining more, I have some troubles getting out of bed, and start running.

There must be someone with some helpfull ideas to handle this..

Thanks for your reaction

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007

I am the ultimate non-early bird.  I once broke my toe while in grad school because I had such a hard time waking up I had put my alarm clock in a whole different room.

That said, I was out of bed at 5 am to run this morning.  How did I do this?

1) A good alarm.  I use my blackberry.

2) A routine.  I lay my running gear out the night before.

3) Something to help get me going.  In my case, a timer on the coffee pot so that it starts brewing right at 5.  I drink a cup while warming up.

4) Feedback.  When I get finished, I stretch, eat breakfast and prepare my running log.

I started doing this probably in July.  It was hard, but it's routine now.  I even get up early on the weekends to get my runs in before anyone else gets up.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...