Skip navigation

2378 Views 21 Replies Latest reply: Nov 1, 2010 11:26 AM by roothog66 RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jun 13, 2008 10:41 AM (in response to THECOACH__44)
    Re: Recruiting New Volunteer Coaches?

Our travel program has dues of $200 a month and you have to try-out for the opportunity to pay and you are not guaranteed to play. The PITA parents are weeded out in a hurry.

Are you saying you have no PITA parents because you charge $200 a month or because kids with PITA parents aren't good enough to make the team?

Around here, the "wealthier" parents are the normally the worst!

They spend big money on pitching coaches and batting coaches and then "Go Crazy" because little Junior isn't pitching or playing short stop or batting clean up.

• tumblebug Pro 74 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    16. Jun 13, 2008 10:45 AM (in response to TG.)

We don't have PITA parents, we cut them.  It is amazing how humble they become when they find out what else is out there.

• Athletes1st Rookie 1 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    17. Jun 24, 2008 6:39 AM (in response to kal_)

Some people don't step up to coach because they are scared that they don't know the proper way to teach sport skills.  Youth sport groups should provide quality training, which will also help RETAIN coaches.  This makes it easier for the administrator for years that follow.

www.ASEP.com

www.ASEP.com

• cxxx Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 3, 2010
    18. Oct 20, 2010 8:15 AM (in response to Aging_Arbiter)

knowledge and information is the best way to get all parents on the same page.  Let them know, print information sheets and attach them to the registration forms and let parents know up front the way it is, have them sign and return it with the reg form. be direct and blunt from the get go.  If you let parents know everyone must volunteer upfront or your kid won't play ss or any infield position the PITA parents will be stopped in their tracks.  the LL website has forms that inform parents, coaches and kids of what is excpected for a successful year and they have to sign and return it with registration.  offer print outs of the rules so they know upfront why calls were made or their kid is on the bench.  If they didn't work snack bar that week their kid sits. simple as that.  Some parents, coaches and board members are the only one's complaining that they do all the work bec they are the only one's who know the deal and their kids are the only one's in the infield.  if all parents know the deal they will be fighting over who cleans the bathrooms to get their kid the coveted spots of the infield.   today is a different world, knowledge is power.

• TG. Legend 954 posts since
    Jul 25, 2007
    19. Oct 20, 2010 9:01 AM (in response to Lou_B)

Don't you just love it when a new poster goes so far back through the topics they bring up two year old posts? Then again do the topics ever change? Welcome aboard cxxx.

"If all parents know the deal they will be fighting over who cleans the bathrooms to get their kid the coveted spots of the infield."

No player I ever coached including my kids got positions for anything other than they earned them with their talent and work ethic. What's a coveted position? To me when I coached LL there were six coveted positions. It was the six most talented kids who played the entire game (other than blowouts). The field position was irrelevant. Playing time was relevant.

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    20. Oct 20, 2010 1:26 PM (in response to tumblebug)

We use the "National Alliance for Youth Sports" - obviously there are many others to choose from.

Website Link

• roothog66 Amateur 37 posts since
    Jul 2, 2007
    21. Nov 1, 2010 11:26 AM (in response to TG.)

Wow! I didn't know it was a problem. While I haven't been involved in the league the past three years, we always had to turn coaches away. We always had about twice as many apps as positions.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...