Skip navigation

1041 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2010 5:01 AM by playnicenow RSS
outerloop Rookie 4 posts since
Oct 17, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 17, 2010 6:46 AM

Line sitting

I don't get when your playing all three lines during the course of the game and its a 2-2 game in the third period and you sit one line( by the way the line that is sitting has not let up a goal )and you put out two lines that have let up goals.  I understand double shifting the player that has gotten the two goals in the game, but when the end result is a 4-2 loss.....if all three lines get's you to a tie or better why change at the beginning of the 3rd period.

• topshelf__9 Rookie 5 posts since
    Feb 23, 2006
    1. Oct 17, 2010 7:26 AM (in response to outerloop)
    Re: Line sitting

Had the same experience with my son's team.  What a joke that is.  Same situation, did not allow any goals, yet they sit almost whole third period.  The future NHL all-stars have to play first, you know that.  

• breakawaybacksoon Expert 47 posts since
    Aug 7, 2007
    2. Oct 17, 2010 8:02 AM (in response to topshelf__9)

Sorry to be the one to have to tell you this but apparently your son is a 3rd line player.

Feb 23, 2006
    3. Oct 17, 2010 8:23 AM (in response to goodolehockey)

Sorry my son isn't going to the NHL like everyone else who thinks they are.  3rd line is just as good as the other 2.  Why have a 3rd line then?  Just to give rest to the other future NHLer's I guess.

Feb 23, 2006
    5. Oct 17, 2010 9:52 AM (in response to topshelf__9)

Maybe that 3rd line should have been moved to 1st or 2nd line.  Sounds like the 3rd line played better than 1st or 2nd (didn't give up any goals) in the original post while the all star 1st and 2nd line let up 2 goals.  Hmmm, which line played better that game, so why do they sit?  

• Genedr59 Expert 56 posts since
    Aug 15, 2007
    6. Oct 18, 2010 6:02 AM (in response to outerloop)

Here's the opinion of the father of a defenseman.  Most times the third line does a better job of backchecking and hustling.  They know they are third liners and take advantage of every shift.  Most of the future NHLers cake walk through the defensive zone and suddenly come to life when they start to break out.  I've been watching this for too many years with few exceptions!

• Ace High Amateur 34 posts since
    Nov 10, 2006
    7. Oct 18, 2010 7:04 AM (in response to topshelf__9)

Often there are talented players on third lines in order balance out kids who should be on a lower level alltogether.

Something that should be kept in mind here is the coach and their level of ego/panic. I watched my son's in-house mite coach shorten the bench (he was reprimanded and left the program). In later years, I watched as a delusional coach double and triple shifted his kid thinking he was the only one who could save the day - at the expense of the playing time of equally and more capable players. Twistedly vicarious and wrong.

I don't know the age level that the original post speaks of. All I know is that I am the one who writes the check(s), and ultimately it's my decision where my player plays.

The hockey world is fairly transparent around here; research and trusted word of mouth are the only things I believe in.

• Practical Sam Amateur 31 posts since
    Mar 4, 2010
    8. Oct 18, 2010 7:27 AM (in response to breakawaybacksoon)

Sounds like you have one of those teams where there is not a great skill differential among the lines.  Third line, on good days, can be as productive as other lines.

If coach does not recognize this, and for whatever reason will not play the most productive lines, then I would guess that he will continue to exhaust lines 1 and 2 and the team will continue to lose the third period, resulting in losses of close games.

• goodolehockey Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 11, 2005
    9. Oct 18, 2010 8:09 AM (in response to Practical Sam)

The biggest problem out there is the coaches forget its not about them. This is Youth!! hockey. Its about the kids learning and practicing what they have been taught in all situations. The role of the coach is to make !!all!! players better, and the only way a young player can get better is to be exposed to all situations just like in school.

• breakawaybacksoon Expert 47 posts since
    Aug 7, 2007
    10. Oct 18, 2010 2:02 PM (in response to Genedr59)

If you are talking about any level below Midget, you should move to another team, lines should be rolled with everyone playing special teams at Bantam and below. 

If you are talking midget, deal with it and have your kid communicate with the coach on what he needs to improve on to be put out in those situations. 

A coach who shortens the bench wants to win, do you really think he is not putting out who he thinks are his best players?

• playnicenow Amateur 36 posts since
    Mar 20, 2009
    11. Oct 18, 2010 3:28 PM (in response to breakawaybacksoon)

Amen to that. Roll the lines as even as possible. It's youth hockey for crying out loud!

Agree with breakway.....move to another team and research coach philosophy.

Good Luck

• JBISAC Rookie 5 posts since
    Mar 16, 2009
    12. Oct 19, 2010 8:03 AM (in response to playnicenow)

It?s tier 2 pay to play hockey. There are no tryouts. If an org doesn?t want your kid they should tell you from the start otherwise every kid should get the same time on the ice. You might be able to make the argument at the midget 18AA level but that is it. Anyone lower gets to play.

• playnicenow Amateur 36 posts since
    Mar 20, 2009
    13. Oct 22, 2010 5:01 AM (in response to JBISAC)

Any coach from Atoms to Bantam that sits a line at any point during a game (other then last two minutes of close game) admits that he is unable to develop his/her players. Some circumstances dicatate benching a player (attitude, etc.)

One re-occurring problem in this part of the country is the level of skill. To many so-called Tier 1 kids which means kids are playing above where they belong

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...