Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

997434 Views 4,714 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 Go to original post 1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 ... 315 Previous Next
  • SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

coolbikermom:  If you're still doing longer runs, please do come to Iowa next October for the HM.  As I said in my report, a great time by all.  I'd love to run it with you.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• Jasmine1972 Legend 927 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009

You know you are getting a little "nut-so" when you read thru your running magazine about all of the different half/full marathons and then start envisioning so many of the different places you could go run and compete in.  Then realize that's an awful lot of training & running and time committment, and geez, you're still so slow, etc.... So many races so little time (& too few years left to do 'em all). I don't know if I'll be running years on end, or burn out next year, or scale back (after I'm "fit") and just race occassionally. I guess for now, its one day, one month, one race at a time.

On Sunday, I overdid my gardening (for 5 hrs), and then ran 4 mi on Monday.  Between those too days, I ended up with quads, hams and adductor muscles that all were strained much more than on any of my previous training. I ended up taking two days off- only walking w my dog for two miles.  Today I wanted to do a VL run (10+ mi) but by the time I reached 5 mi, I had slowed down noticeably.  So I finished off 6 mi and quit.  Considering that I was doing 1/3 mi loops in my culdesac, I'm surprised I lasted that long. I'll crosstrain tomorrow & maybe try the VLR on Saturday.

Jo Ann C

Started Walking 7/15/09 Weight = 265#; C25K Grad 11/6/09

8/30/09 5K (62:42) 262# 10/2/10 5K (37:44) 206# 3/26/11 5K (36:42) PR 202#

6/19/10 10K (83:47) 208# 3/6/11 UAH 10K (79:18) 200#

6/27/10 IronGirl, Atlanta Tri S 1/3m/B 18m/R 3m (2:42:10) 207#; 5/15/11 - (2:34:08 200)#

9/25/10 Women's HM, Nashville (3:27:10) 209#, 11/13/10 Huntsville HM (3:17:27) 203#

2/13/11 Mercedes HM, B'ham (3:02:02) 203#; 3/19/11 Rocket 10mi (2:13:37) PR

4/30/11 RnR HM Nashville (3:10:12); 5/15/11 5/30/11 Cotton Row 10K (84:36) ;

6/11/11 Mt. Mania 15K (2:17:12); 7/16/11 Wet Dog Tri (98:56);

8/13/11 Mtn Lakes Tri; (2:13:32); 8/28 Rocketman Oly Tri; 9/10 Frantic Frog Tri (1:52:35)

9/24/11 Womens HM (2:54:28) 195# PR; 10/1 Toray 5K (35:35 PR);

10/15/11 Liz Hurley 5K (36:24); 10/22 Book-it 10K (74:51 PR) 197#;
    11/12/11 Huntsville HM - Target 2:50

• az2mn Legend 402 posts since
    Jan 20, 2010

Hey Jasmine, I'm relieved to find that 'someone' else is doing the same:  going through magazines and envisioning running in far off places in such cool looking apparel with the most supportive sports bra!!  Yes, then reality hits you when you read that 'they' are running for miles on end ......... just to 'train' and eating, rather, drinking energy drinks I wouldn't want to soley live off on a daily basis!  Yes, definitely a lot more time set aside for such commitment .......... so I resigned myself to the fact that I am blessed to be able to do the distances in my races in close proximity to either a city or the mountain country.  I'm fortunate that I can travel to at least 4 nearby states which are not too far to drive to. 

I think you did awesome in your training .......... 6 miles, no matter how slow, is still 6 miles, that is quite a distance.  You didn't 'quit'; you decided to rest because your body told you to and that is so important:  to listen to what your body is telling you ........ so you can be more refreshed the next time.  Worry about next year, next year.  Believe me, you did alot more than I did:  I didn't run at all yesterday as I had planned.  But, I will today.  The weather is affecting my mood but then, I have been working at my computer since Monday trying to play catch-up with 'stuff' ............ I get so involved in my work that sometimes I forget to eat till it gets too late and thus, no energy to go for a run.  Anyway, I am set on getting out of the house today, rain or not, and head to the athletic club for a workout and a short run (it's cold and trails are too wet/slippery).  My left Achilles tendon is feeling much better so maybe I did need the extra day off: 'listen to my body' ........... taking my own advice.

HANG IN THERE, you are doing great!! 

Trail runner

Jan 20, 2010

Hike2runGreat job on 'nailing' the distance/time in your training!  Every little bit counts toward reaching your goal!  It must have been exhilarating ......... so much that you registered for a 5k!!  That is very impressive and thrilling!!  Expecting to be "disappointed" certainly can affect how you approach your daily workouts ............ staying positive and most importantly, realistic, about the level you are at in regard to running puts things in proper perspective in that you incorporate techniques which guide you in achieving your goal.  It will take time, consistency, and determination .......... each of us deal with frustrations but that can help us to focus on areas we didn't think we needed to work on.  Your staying healthy by the needed rest to heal is just as critical to staying refreshed so to tackle the next goal in your training runs and races .......... you WILL notice the improvements in/after each race.  WAY TO GO!!  Can't wait to hear about your result!!

Trail runner

• para414 Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 21, 2010

So I find myself entering a 5k for the first time, this Saturday (10/23/10). I have been running for 6 months or so. I started running to suppliment my exercise to stay in shape for work ( I am a paramedic and tactical medic). But after awhile, I found I just like to run. My other hobby is racing motocross. So I am used to the "you are to old".  So I have invested in a decent pair of running shoes (Brooks Beasts), reading and asking a lot of questions. I was just tickled pink to find this post! Imagine over... more "your to old" people like me!

My plan for the first 5K  is to run a few miles tonight to make sure I have my pace down, then rest until Saturday's event. I find eating lots of fruit, granola bars and water seem to work best for me on running days. I eat 3-4 hours before running. Any ideas on other good foods to fuel up on?

• MangoLuvr Laurie Pro 82 posts since
    Oct 3, 2010

Para414 - I don't think you can really beat fruit for fuel, no matter what time of day.  It really should only be eaten with other fruit or greens, though, as it digests very fast this way and doesn't leave you sluggish.  My friend and I hiked 7 miles this morning with  lots of grapes and water in our back packs.  I came home and had 2 pitchers of banana smoothie (water, celery and cherries in one, just bananas and water in the other) and I'll be fine 'til dinner.  I leave the other types of foods for the evening meal, as by then I'm ready to lie around feeling lazy while I digest my food.

I've only been able to manage one run per week, as it takes me a full week to recover enough to feel eager to do it again.  Thankfully, I have weight training, hiking, and step class to fill in the other days.  But I do hope that eventually my joints will allow me to run at least twice per week.  Once just doesn't seem enough, especially when you want to enter the fun runs and all.  I have my 5k coming up in 9 days and will only get one more training run in on Saturday.  Eh, I just hope to finish in 35 or 36 minutes, so I still think it's doable even with so little actual running for training.

The weather this autumn has just been splendid so far- being outdoors with the sunshine and light breeze is such a sensual experience - practically orgasmic!

Lost over 100 lbs. in 11 months in 2008-2009

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Sur International Marathon Power Walk Division 10.6-Miler 2:40:30  April 2010

Run For Isaiah 4.4k  38:30 Sept. 2010

Eyes on Aids 10k 77:40 Oct. 2, 2010

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upcoming Challenges:

Hospital Hill HM June 4

• hike2run Expert 40 posts since
    Sep 29, 2010

Steve and Di2079

Thank you for the encouraging words. I am very excited now. I know I can get past the aches and pains, and the injuries and I will be ok. Slow and steady! I have learned a lot about pacing in the past week. I may not be fast in my first 5k, but my goal is to make the distance! The race organizer told me there are lots of walkers too, so I shouldn't be last! lol

MangoLuvr - I have never had celery in my smoothies - do you do that for the salt content and doesn't it get stringy?

Have a great evening everyone! Today is "off" day, but I will do some resistance training...off to make dinner now.

Hike2Run

11/27/10 First 5k Habitat for Humanity 36:47

• PJ Freeman Pro 115 posts since
    Feb 17, 2009

OMG Jasmine...I so get what you are talking about.  I really, really want to run the Disney Princess HM in February and there's a full/half in Hilo Hawaii in March and the list goes on.  The biggest obstacle is the time off of work and the cost of the travel.  I tell myself that once I get a good base and a lot of the aches and pains go away then I can add more miles in during the week, like some of the people you read about in the magazines, and then maybe I can at least get in the top 10 of my age division.  And then I heard some people at my running club talk about how women can't really compete on a equal field with men in a marathon but in the ultra marathon they have better endurance and actually beat men.  So then I'm thinking I need to do ultra marathons so I could win the whole thing.  What am I even thinking?  I am scared to death of the 9 mile run I have to do this Saturday.  How in the world would I be able to do 100? It's fun to dream and get excited about running when I read the articles.

My legs are still bothering me a little so I tried the dumb compression socks again and my shins are still yelling at me.  My sports chiropractor told me to try them and this is the second time they have made my legs worse so I'm done with them.  I'm taking a break for 2 days so I can complete my long run on Saturday.

Saturday afternoon my husband and I are doing the Great Urban Race in San Diego.  It's a kind of scavenger hunt in the city where you solve clues and complete tasks in a race against other teams.  There's no set course and you just run when you want to get somewhere fast.  It's a lot of fun.  This is our 4th one, the first in our own city.  The one we did in Los Angeles last year was where I got my first stress fracture so I'm happy to be doing it knowing that I'm stronger this year.

2010 Coronado Independence Day 5K - 40:12

2010 AFC 5K - August 15 - 37:32

2010 End of Summer Fire Run 4mi- August 29 - 49:55

2010 Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Relay - October 2 - 57:12

2010 Shelter Island 5K - November 7 - 36:20 PR

2010 Silver Strand Half Marathon - November 14 - 3:14:05

2010 Las Vegas Rock & Roll Half Marathon - December 5 - 2:58:35

2010 Jingle Bell 5K for Arthritis - December 11 - 37:28

2011 Los Angeles Chinatown Firecracker 10K - February 13 - 1:25:46

2011 Lost Dutchman 10K - February 20 - 1:19:11

2011 Saint Patrick's Day 10K - March 12 - 1:13:48 PR

2011 Carlsbad 5000 - April 3 - 34:30 PR

2011 Rock & Roll San Diego HM - June 5 - 2:51:54 PR

2011 Coronado Independence Day 5K - July 4 - 35:34

2011 America's Finest City 5 K- August 21 - 34:40

UPCOMING

2011 Rock & Roll Los Angeles - October 30

2012 Disneyland Tinkerbell Half - January 29

• para414 Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 21, 2010

Mornin MangoLuvr...

Thanks for the celery tip! I never would have thought of that! Lots of water in celery. Am looking forward to tomorrow. Went last night after work and ran just a few miles to make sure I can establish my pace. That seems to be my biggest problem. I was running with an IPod, but found I would increase or decrease my pace with the music, so I got rid of it. My goal for the first 5K is to just finish. I have completed 6 practice 5Ks, so I should be o.k. The weather should be clearing by then....but it is upstate NY..could be a foot of snow or 80 degrees by morning!

Am looking forward to the next 5K...The Wounded Warrior 5K in Camillus N.Y. Some of the guys are amazing.I think of them...and sudenly my aches don't mean a whole lot!

• Ken R Amateur 13 posts since
    Aug 4, 2008

No need to fuel up for a 5k race. Our bodies have enough fuel (glycogen) stored.  More important to optimize your race day performance is to get to the race in plenty of time to relax, jog around a little, stretch it out a little, do 3-4 faster 100 meter strides.  A good warm up will ensure your body is optimized for the race, i.e.. processing oxygen efficiently. Finish warmup 10 minutes before the race. 

Good luck this weekend everyone!

Coach Ken

Visit Running Coach Ken at 5 Speed Running

1 Question Runners' Survey

Free Running Training Handbook

Have fun and get it done!

Coach Ken

Visit Running Coach Ken at 5 Speed Running

1 Question Runners' Survey

Free Running Training Handbook

• MangoLuvr Laurie Pro 82 posts since
    Oct 3, 2010

Hike2Run - I put celery and often leafy greens in my smoothies for the much-needed minerals and the fiber.  They kind of help keep my system in balance.  No, even my cheapo blender grinds up the celery very well and I don't get any strings.  I think the trick is to make sure and add half a pitcher of water first, then a banana, then the celery and more bananas.  Works for me!  I enjoy Victoria Boutenko's books about the raw diet very much.  Has anyone else read them?

Lost over 100 lbs. in 11 months in 2008-2009

Big Sur International Marathon Power Walk Division 10.6-Miler 2:40:30  April 2010

Run For Isaiah 4.4k  38:30 Sept. 2010

Eyes on Aids 10k 77:40 Oct. 2, 2010

Upcoming Challenges:

Hospital Hill HM June 4

Jan 20, 2010

Totally euphoric ....... cool energizing mornings with the sounds of gentle rain and soothing breeze of the crisp dawn!

Trail runner

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010

PJFreeman:  Your shin discomfort caught my attention.  If you have more than about 300 miles on your shoes, it may be time for a change.  I had over 400 on mine (two pairs ago) when I started getting shin pain.  I got new shoes and it went away.  For what it's worth....

You're doing a long run Saturday morning and your scavenger hunt that afternoon?  You'll need more two days' rest after you're done with all that.

Finally, since you live in San Diego (I may have asked this before, so forgive me if I have), what do you know about the Silver Strand HM?  My wife and I are thinking about coming out there next year for it and also to visit my sister who lives south of LA.  Thanks.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• Jasmine1972 Legend 927 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009

Di2079-  Well, the rest certainly helped.  I woke up today with NO aches - YEA!! I did an hour of spin cycle followed by strength training. Still no aches, so I'll try the VLR tomorrow again.  Like you, other "stuff" is one of the things that keeps me from getting out to train. Usually I have some creative writing that I have procrastinated on (until the last minute) that finally has to be done, or some other volunteer work that can't be delayed any longer.

This winter, I'm hoping to be less of a "Cinderella" runner.  I have tights, a long sleeve tech shirt and a lightweight weather protective jacket.  If it gets very cold, I can add other shirts, a vest, gloves etc. Here in N. Alabama we don't have the severely cold climate that a lot of you face. Since I have time flexibility, I can delay runs until better weather later in the day-but still- I will try to be more consistent and not wuss out as much.

PJ- Yeah, I want to go race a HM in Hawaii too, but it may be a few years away- when my HM time is closer to 2:30.  However, I did research & itemized all HM/M's on the islands....just in case (HA!)

I'm turning into an exercise/running evangelist.  I decided to establish a 5K/1mile event at the end of Feb as a fundraiser for our Friends of the Library, since there were few local 5Ks in the first quarter.  Then, as a way to get more participants, I've talked our city parks & rec dept into the idea of preparing a city-wide year-round "Get Fit" program, to get more people up and moving for fitness.  We are only at stage 1 planning, but I hope it will start Jan 1, so that all the folks with a New Year's resolution to start walking or running will have a target event 8 weeks away. Going to have teams, to encourage people to work out then compete together.  I've all sorts of ideas to get wellness programs at churches, businesses and gyms (plus the schools) to participate in the citywide program.

Jo Ann C

Started Walking 7/15/09 Weight = 265#; C25K Grad 11/6/09

8/30/09 5K (62:42) 262# 10/2/10 5K (37:44) 206# 3/26/11 5K (36:42) PR 202#

6/19/10 10K (83:47) 208# 3/6/11 UAH 10K (79:18) 200#

6/27/10 IronGirl, Atlanta Tri S 1/3m/B 18m/R 3m (2:42:10) 207#; 5/15/11 - (2:34:08 200)#

9/25/10 Women's HM, Nashville (3:27:10) 209#, 11/13/10 Huntsville HM (3:17:27) 203#

2/13/11 Mercedes HM, B'ham (3:02:02) 203#; 3/19/11 Rocket 10mi (2:13:37) PR

4/30/11 RnR HM Nashville (3:10:12); 5/15/11 5/30/11 Cotton Row 10K (84:36) ;

6/11/11 Mt. Mania 15K (2:17:12); 7/16/11 Wet Dog Tri (98:56);

8/13/11 Mtn Lakes Tri; (2:13:32); 8/28 Rocketman Oly Tri; 9/10 Frantic Frog Tri (1:52:35)

9/24/11 Womens HM (2:54:28) 195# PR; 10/1 Toray 5K (35:35 PR);

10/15/11 Liz Hurley 5K (36:24); 10/22 Book-it 10K (74:51 PR) 197#;
    11/12/11 Huntsville HM - Target 2:50

1 ... 74 75 76 77 78 ... 315 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...