Skip navigation

240 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2010 11:40 PM by Bengalvfan RSS
Mike_CVUA Legend 593 posts since
May 25, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 27, 2010 10:02 AM

Games Underway at Euro Regional

We got started today.  I only had one game because we had a short schedule to accommodate opening ceremonies and a parade in downtown Kutno.  But I had the plate.

It was Germany (Kaiserslautern--US mil) vs Belorus.

Belorous was way outclassed, but to make things interesting, Germany-US had the manager sitting out 2 games because he failed to meet MPR in his national championship game!  So there was only 1 adult who had to run it all, and their base coaching staff was all kids!  Actually, they had prepared for this pretty well, and the kids really coached adequately.

We had a lot of rain!  But no one delayed.  (In fact, right now, Italy is beating a mostly US England team 8-0 in the bottom of the 4th with a LOT of rain falling!)

Trying to manage the game, keeping dry baseballs around, and working language barriers was tough.  I felt I had a less than adeqaute crew, but I have to take into consideration that two of my partners arrived late last night and missed the brieifing on rotations.

The PU does a lot of the lineup work.  He is responsible and has copies of the lineups which he must manage.  (Despite having to work with wet paper, I like the system for the lineups we are using.)

The good news is that everybody's instincts came into play in my game, and you could always see eyes looking at the base touches all the time--which I feel is first priority.  We blew some rotations, but no base or call was missed.

I am glad my game ended in a slaughter rule because my gear was wet, and my cleats were covered in mud!  Took me some time to clean up the stuff before the parade.

The stud teams are starting to show now, and I think Germany-US and Italy will be contenders.  It's too early to make a call on the others, but tomorrow there are a ton of games, we will be busy, and we will see what happens.

The forecast will include showers, but I think the heavy rain will be tonight and be done by the morning.  And the grounds crew here is second to none!

Time to eat and hit the rack!

From Kutno

Mike CVUA

• HugoTafurst Legend 515 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Jul 27, 2010 11:17 AM (in response to Mike_CVUA)
    Re: Games Underway at Euro Regional

Sounds like no matter what, you can't go wrong!

Two things:

1)

The PU does a lot of the lineup work. He is responsible and has copies of the lineups which he must manage. (Despite having to work with wet paper, I like the system for the lineups we are using.)

Nice to hear. A few weeks ago there was a discussion about Umpires not being responsible for line-up cards during LL tournament play.
    I don't remember if I commented or not, but personally, I don't like the idea of. abdicating the job.

2)

my cleats were covered in mud!

Cleats? Metal? Rubber?

I've never waorn cleats when umpiring, didn't know others did.

(and I mostly umpire on skinned fields!)

Have fun,

oops

• Bengalvfan Amateur 24 posts since
    May 6, 2010
    2. Jul 27, 2010 1:28 PM (in response to HugoTafurst)

Hi Mike. I am also in Poland watching the games. I am a friend of the family with a boy that plays on the German/us team. I do a lot of umpiring in the Ohio area and gave been keeping a close eye on the umpires and learning alot.

I think the game went pretty smooth and do have a question about something that happened.

There were a few occasions where the other team was stealing too early and were put back to where they were suppose to go. Now on the next time they again left the base early and was called out by the first base umpire..... don't you just keep putting the br back to the correct base and not call them out?

Anyways I have talked with some of the umpires already and would like to meet you.

Dan

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Jul 27, 2010 2:16 PM (in response to Rita_C)

Now on the next time they again left the base early and was called out by the first base umpire..... don't you just keep putting the br back to the correct base and not call them out?

There is no rule in LL Baseball that allows an Umpire to declare an out in this situation.  The manager should have Protested!

What normally happens when runners on the same team keep leaving early is you "warn then eject" - but you can't call an out.

Some umpires eject the runner, some eject the manager, some eject both !!!

• Rita_C Pro 89 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    5. Jul 27, 2010 11:27 PM (in response to Pete_Booth)

Cleats are great, Hugo.  I don't have cleats on my plate shoes but I wish I did.

But the difference is, mud.  Cleats are very nice in wet conditions.

Rita

• Bengalvfan Amateur 24 posts since
    May 6, 2010
    6. Jul 27, 2010 11:40 PM (in response to Mike_CVUA)

Thanks for the info Mike.

I am really enjoying your comments on your games please keep doing it!!

What game/games will you work today?

The game between Italy and Netherlands may be good today. Italy should win though. (They look good)

Dan

• EasyEd Amateur 15 posts since
    Jul 6, 2004
    7. Jul 28, 2010 3:23 AM (in response to Bengalvfan)

Hey Mikey...as we discussed in the past, shame on the coach, particularly at this level for not being astute on the rules. The right question could have allowed you all to set things straight. During the majors state softball tourney I came across 3 coaches/teams that did not know proper appeal protocols. On the bright side, you've improved another umpire for the future.

Ed

• Pete_Booth Pro 163 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    8. Jul 28, 2010 1:37 PM (in response to Bengalvfan)

Mike  hope you are having a good time

How is the food? Is there a nice place that the guys/gals can go to for some cold ones after the games are done?

What is meant by the Germany-US team?

Ate these US Citizen kids whose parents are stationed in Germany?

Thanks

Pete Booth

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...