Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2043 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 24, 2007 11:17 PM by cj_jessty
singetex Amateur 10 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 23, 2007 12:42 PM

Training with Kids?

I'm training for an Olympic distance Triathlon and I'm having trouble finding time to bike because of a lack of childcare.  So I need to find a way to train with a 6 month old along for the ride.  Which would be better for training: rigging my road bike (Trek 1000) with a trailer, or my touring bike with a baby seat?

The trailers are safer, have better sun protection and I'd be doing all my training on the bike I'd be riding in the race.  But I'm not sure the baby would like it, I ride in really protected areas, and they are really expensive.

The baby seat would be easy and cheap, but I'd be on a different bike and limited to pretty short rides. 

Is it possible to put a seat on the road bike, or would that mess with the race setup?  Not that I'd leave the seat, of course, but I think the platform would have to stay?  Would that make me a total dork at the race?  Or will riding a road bike, really slowly, already make me such a dork I won't need to worry about it?  I would be a little nervous about clipping in with a kid on the back...

Thoughts?

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    1. Apr 23, 2007 12:53 PM (in response to singetex)
    how about an indoor trainer?

check w/ your doc but think a 6 month old might be too young for a trailer or bike seat and if you do go that route please don't forget the helmet for you both.

BUT back to Option C a indoor trainer - lots of options but you can set up your race bike inside your house and ride while the lil' rugrat is asleep. you can get rollers or a mag or fluid trainer. i think fluid might be the quietest. you can set it up infront of the TV for long rides or get spinerval dvd's which are intense workouts. if you got the extra $ a computrainer or tacx imagic would be great options too.  I have two toddlers and do a lot of my rides in garage watching dvd's

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• cj_jessty Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    3. Apr 24, 2007 11:17 PM (in response to singetex)
    Re: Training with Kids?

Hi, I have a 5 year old and a 10-month old and I am well versed in training with kids.  Your 6 month old should love the bike trainer.  It puts them to sleep and they love the scenery.  I think 6 months is too young for a seat and you will probably want to ride your own bike anyway for training's sake.

As far as the expense, try getting a trailer second-hand.

Good luck!

Cherilyn

www.dcsuiter.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...