Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1603 Views 25 Replies Latest reply: Oct 11, 2010 6:16 AM by Frank_B 1 2 Previous Next
Phillieball Pro 99 posts since
Mar 23, 2001
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 5, 2010 11:01 PM

UIC on the Board?

In a recent thread it was mentioned that some Little Leagues have the UIC as a board member and some don't.

Could you folks please offer your opinions as to whether that's a good idea?

Our league's UIC is currently a board position, but that could change as we look at updating the constitution.

Thanks for your help.

• Rita_C Pro 89 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Oct 5, 2010 11:04 PM (in response to Phillieball)
    Re: UIC on the Board?

A volunteer umpire on the board is a requirement.  This does not have to be the UIC.

It is a good idea, IMO, to have the UIC on the board, especially if you have volunteer umpires.

Rita

• Lou_B Community Moderator 1,319 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Oct 6, 2010 2:57 AM (in response to Rita_C)

As Rita said, you need at least one Volunteer Umpire on your Board, might as well be the UIC.

You also need a UIC on your Protest Committee so why not have the UIC on your BOD?

To me, the UIC has an "important enough job" to be on the Board.

• Kyle_ Legend 556 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Oct 6, 2010 8:13 AM (in response to Lou_B)

The trouble is the UIC job, if done properly, is a very time consuming gig. Add in BoD responsibilities, i.e. pulling field duty, and it might be a bit much.

I was lucky enough to serve with a great BoD, where I was offered the UIC post w/ no BoD duty. Sure, I went to most of the meeting, and had my input, but I didn't have to open/close, etc.

Have the Prez annoint every BoD member as an umpire, since there's no prerequisite on what constitutes a LL umpire. Next problem.

May 25, 2007
    4. Oct 6, 2010 10:06 AM (in response to JoeG_87)

The trouble is the UIC job, if done properly, is a very time consuming gig. Add in BoD responsibilities, i.e. pulling field duty, and it might be a bit much.

Then, as they did with you, don't assign him/her such duties.

Thing is, as you said, it's a time consuming and tough job and, in my opinion, that's enough to give the UIC a Board Position (say/vote in what goes on).

As for "Have the Prez annoint every BoD member as an umpire, since there's no prerequisite on what constitutes a LL umpire."

Can't agree with that one !!!

I know a lot of BOD Members that should never be umpires (even if it's "in name" only).     ;o)

May 25, 2007
    5. Oct 6, 2010 8:37 PM (in response to Lou_B)

First, you really should have a "real" (whatever that is) umpire presence on the BoD, or at least at the meetings. Someone who knows the rules, and has input into local rules.

As for deputizing the whole board, it may come in handy if you have any sort of Jr. umpire program. LL mandated at least one adult umpire per game. But what if your assigned adult is a no show? Simply have your BoD member on duty step on the field, and assumes a watered down job as an umpire. Let the Junior umpires make the calls, and play the game instead of canceling it.

May 25, 2007
    6. Oct 7, 2010 2:58 AM (in response to Kyle_)

If your assigned Adult Umpire does not show up your assigned BOD Member can Umpire the game anyway,as can any adult from the stands.  That person does NOT have to be a appointed/approved Umpire.

I guess I just have a hard time having a President appoint and the Board approved someone as an Umpire just as a possible CYA.

If the person "isn't worthy" of being an umpire, don't appoint/approve him/her (IMO).

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    7. Oct 7, 2010 3:19 AM (in response to Kyle_)

Not only was I on the board when I was the league's UIC, I was one of the officers.  Our president believed that the position was important enough within the board's structure that the UIC should be at the same level as the VP, Treasurer, Secretary, etc.

I think it was a good idea in our league.  The UIC was responsible for chairing the Local Rules Committee, which met every year to go over the local rules and policies and provide the recommended changes to the full board for approval.  The UIC was also a member of the Disciplinary Committee, which met to hear grievances about league members, and would recommend any action taken against that member.

I would strongly suggest that your league keeps the UIC position as a board member.  The umpires need a voice on the board, and who better to know what's best for the entire umpiring program than the UIC?  If you put just a volunteer umpire as LL recommends, what would he/she know when it comes to issues/concerns?  Would he/she be knowledgeable about the umpire's training program needs, the umpire's equipment budget, etc?  There is much more to a good umpire program than just making sure every game is covered by two qualified umpires.

• JoeG_87 Amateur 17 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    8. Oct 7, 2010 7:58 AM (in response to Manny_A)

I highly recommend the UIC be on the board, for all the reasons others have offered, plus you will be inside the board 'info flow' regarding umpires and any problems.  That is very useful to head off problems before they become major events.  Our board tends to (over)use email; the UIC wants to be on that distribution.

May 25, 2007
    9. Oct 7, 2010 9:17 AM (in response to Lou_B)

Used to be SIX required Positions/Officers:

President

Vice President

Secretary

Treasurer

Player Agent

Safety Officer

For a few years LL was "pushing" for adding the Information Officer but it was never "officially" required.

Then they "officially require" every Board to have a Coaching Coordinator (that brings the Board to a minimum of seven).

I would have much rather have seen a requirement for a Umpire-In-Chief (UIC) rather than a Coaching Coordinator but maybe that's just me!!!

• TheMouth__1 Legend 917 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    10. Oct 7, 2010 9:34 AM (in response to Lou_B)

Lou, its not just you.  I have seen Coaches Coordinators who dont know sh-- for shineola about the game in general and were nothing more than daddy ball want-to-bes.  I go with the UIC anyday.   TM

• Manny_A Legend 841 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    11. Oct 7, 2010 12:46 PM (in response to TheMouth__1)

That doesn't necessarily stop the local league from adding the UIC as an officer on the board.  The league can always add officers as it sees fit.

When I was a member of the league, our board included an executive VP, multiple divisional VPs and a number of player agents (tee ball, minors/majors, and juniors/seniors, if memory serves).  They were all considered officers, along with the UIC.

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    12. Oct 8, 2010 9:04 AM (in response to Manny_A)

It is my understanding, come 2011,

two(2) additional officers will be mandated to serve on the board, bringing the total mandated to nine(9).

Viz:

1)--Umpire-in-Chief

and---

2)--Concession Manager.

BTW---albeit, a Coaching Coordinator was mandated via a release from Williamsport, in 2009->[if memory serves]-the 2010 Operating Manual fails-[oversight?] to list that mandated officer under (required) league officers, page 32. Re: UIC on the Board?

But a job description for the CC is on page 32.

Frank!

May 25, 2007
    13. Oct 8, 2010 10:16 AM (in response to Frank_B)

+2)--Concession Manager.

+

What?! Since when did LL mandate even having a snack bar?

That said, the Concession Manager may just be the toughest job at the park, and one that shouldn't be taken lightly. But to make it madatory is nuts.

Leave the locals alone, Williamsport.

May 25, 2007
    14. Oct 8, 2010 10:27 AM (in response to Kyle_)

This issue (2 more Officers) was posted on the LL Facebook Page and LL said they are NOT going to be "required" positions but they are highly recommended.

I think we agree with the UIC.

Obvioulsy no need for a Concession Manager if there's no Concession Stand!

As for: "+a Coaching Coordinator was mandated via a release from Williamsport, in 2009->[if memory serves]-the 2010 Operating Manual fails-[oversight?] to list that mandated officer under (required) league officers, page 32. Re: UIC on the Board?

But a job description for the CC is on page 32.+"

Correct about the oversight in updating the OM (what a surprise!).

FYI - one other thing that was never updated is the LL Webpage on the Board of Directors which also does not list the Coaching Coordinator as required.

On a positive note, the SAMPLE Constitution was revised to require seven (7) and it includes the Coaching Coordinator (OM, bottom of page 103/top of 104).

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...