Skip navigation

1639 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 23, 2010 8:35 AM by x_39_and_holding_x RSS
geedeedubya Rookie 1 posts since
Oct 21, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 21, 2010 2:23 PM

Question From a Rookie

Well I've been lurking on this board so long without posting that I almost feel like a peeping tom.   I'm 54 years old and the MCM will be my first full.  All you fine people have been incredibly helpful to me -- thanks in no small part to you, I've managed to stay relatively sane throughout my training (although I'm not sure I'll stay sane through the taper, but that's a whole different subject).

I have a question for all you experienced MCM'ers -- On race day, how early should I get to the runner's village?  I thought I remember reading somewhere that I need to get there 2 hours early, to get through security, etc.   That seems excessive, but it would sure suck to miss the start.  What do you guys think?

Thanks.

• MariahAU Legend 227 posts since
    Mar 29, 2008
    1. Oct 21, 2010 3:13 PM (in response to geedeedubya)
    Re: Question From a Rookie

Everything runs really well in the morning of the marathon ( thanks MARINES). I would allow an hour to get through security.. hit the head..and walk to the start.... it is not fun to be stressed race morning about being late. It can be a bit chilly in the morning and a 2+ hour wait might be a little much..

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Oct 21, 2010 6:19 PM (in response to geedeedubya)

Work backward: figure on getting to the start no later than 7:45; 10 minutes to get from the RV to the start (7:35); 30 minutes minimum to hit the john and drop your bag, 45 is probably better (6:50); 15 minutes from the Pentagon Metro to the RV (6:35).  So that means getting off the Metro at 6:30.  Adjust from there depending on your personal habits and any changes you might want to make - like getting to the start at 7:30 means getting off the Metro at 6:15.

Len

Len

• dspoland Amateur 23 posts since
    Nov 17, 2009
    3. Oct 22, 2010 7:27 AM (in response to geedeedubya)

Is there an actual security area to go thru??  If so, where is that located??  We are staying in Rosslyn (Hyatt) and will be walking to the start.  I figure it is about a mile and a half or so.  Good warm up if you ask me.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Oct 22, 2010 11:11 AM (in response to dspoland)

I don't think there is security if you're walking to the start (as opposed to the Runners Village).  Security is mostly checking any bags you bring into the area.  I've only entered from the Pentagon Metro so I don't know about other ways into the RV.  Your walk from Rosslyn is pretty close to a mile to the actual start line, then the corrals stretch out beyond that.  Take a look at the video course map on the web site.  The 1 mile mark on the course is close to the Rosslyn Metro.

Len

Len

• x_39_and_holding_x We're Not Worthy 2,974 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    5. Oct 23, 2010 8:35 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Len's advice is spot on (as usual.)

Security for MCM is much more sane than the Army Ten Miler.  ATM tried to WAND everyone.  They also go to the extra extreme of looking for iPods and other MP3 players, cell phones, etc and then confiscate them.  ATM basically tried to funnel 30k people into a single line.  MCM doesn't do that.

I've come in both from the RV and from Rosslyn and never had any issues getting to where I need to go.  That said, I'm usually in the area by 6:30.

DO NOT WAIT until you're near the start to use the porta-potties.  There are a handful and the lines are long and include spectators.  The RV has plenty of them (a total of 750 this year, I understand) so go when the goin's good.  And a bit of advice from my female running friends... don't think that because you're in a line with mostly guys it will go faster.  Invariably, one of them has the Wall Street Journal tucked under his arm. . .  If you're walking from Rosslyn, there are porta-potties near the Iwo Jima Memorial.  If you can grab one of those on your way, you're good.  Otherwise, plan on 30 minutes or more in the lines at the start for those porta-potties.

Obsessed with running and racing. It's all about the bling, baby! Suck it up and RUN!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...