Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1415 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 6, 2010 6:39 AM by Frank_B
3GIANTS_Girls Rookie 1 posts since
Apr 26, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 1, 2010 4:45 PM

Birth Certificate

My son uses his stepfathers last name for everything even when playing in tournaments with no problems.. However this year the league is throwing a fit that his birth cert. has a different last name. Is there anything I can do, is there a rule that says he has to use his legal last name or can they refuse to let him play in this weeks tournament? His jersey has is stepfathers last name.

• bobjenkins Pro 120 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Jul 2, 2010 6:10 AM (in response to 3GIANTS_Girls)
    Re: Birth Certificate

It's likely that no one here will be able to help you with that.  You need to take it up with the tournament director / league involved.

I will say that (a) it can't be a unique situation givne the "combined" families that are common, and that (b) it seems to me that larger problems might come from using a different name.

• headinghome Pro 71 posts since
    May 27, 2009
    2. Jul 6, 2010 11:30 AM (in response to Pete_Booth)

In an instance I am aware of, the boy had to use the BC name on roster, but his jersey did not have to be changed.  Parent told manager/team mom that it would be nice if they could announce his name with stepdad's name since that is how the kid was addressed every where else, and they complied at tournament.

It was same BC provided at league sign up.

Some shirts have no names, so if your team decides to put names on them they could be "nicknames" too. Shirt name means nothing.

If his league is making it difficult, I would wonder why?  I would ask what difference it makes what you and the others call him?

• Pete_Booth Pro 163 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    3. Jul 8, 2010 11:31 AM (in response to bobjenkins)

My son uses his stepfathers last name for everything

Suggestion:

Do this legally so that you have ZERO problems in the future.

As far as the rest of your OP I agree with Bob.

Pete Booth

• Frank_B Legend 1,324 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    4. Aug 6, 2010 6:39 AM (in response to headinghome)

There does exist some guidance-[of sorts]-on page 3 of the "LL Tournament Eligibility Affidavit."

Quote:..."Player's name line: This should be the child's full name as LISTED on the birth document(s). If the name has been changed, then a "Statement in Lieu of Acceptable Proof of Birth" (issued by the Regional Director or District Administrator) is required for the child to be eligible."  

Yes, we know the child's use of his step-father's last name was NOT officially changed.

So, IMO--a "statement" as described in the T.E.A.explaining the child's unofficial use of his step-father's last name should suffice.

BTW--what last name was used for/by this child upon registering, and as a rostered player during regular season play?

Frank!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...