Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2197 Views 23 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2010 6:30 AM by Allin69 Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • lennynyr Rookie 5 posts since
    May 3, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jul 24, 2010 6:56 AM (in response to rhughes18)
    Re: Why?

Then you and I umpire different.  I believe in the KISS principle and call what I see, right or wrong, just like Irish said. 

The game is played by the players, not the umpires.

• Allin69 Amateur 29 posts since
    Dec 8, 2004
    16. Jul 24, 2010 7:35 PM (in response to lennynyr)

OK, revisiting my original remarks and having read the various viewpoints thereafter, I have another question. Where in the rulebook does it talk about an umpire considering other information (e.g., whether the defense made a "good" play) when deciding close plays? I'd prefer references to PONY and USSSA, since we play those most of the time. Thanks!

• rhughes18 Pro 114 posts since
    Feb 18, 2001
    17. Jul 25, 2010 5:58 AM (in response to Allin69)

There are many variables used in coming to a final decision about a play and if my philosophy was used by a MLB umpire then there would be 1 more perfect game in the books, but instead he used your philosophy and we all know how that worked out for the game.

• HugoTafurst Legend 515 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    18. Jul 25, 2010 7:00 AM (in response to rhughes18)

if my philosophy was used by a MLB umpire then there would be 1 more perfect game in the books, but instead he used your philosophy and we all know how that worked out for the game.

That comment does not apply here.

It wasn't a close play (and even if on DID use your "reward the good play" method) you would only want to use it where the play was so close you felt you had to flip a coin.

FWIW, I understand the point you are trying to make, I guess I'm just not that good that besides judging the actual safe/out decision - I the add in good play / bad play.

Should I also consider:

length of game?

Score?

Home Team?

Weather?

Evening plans?

oops

• Delaware ASA UIC Pro 76 posts since
    Jan 9, 2001
    19. Jul 25, 2010 9:01 AM (in response to HugoTafurst)

Or maybe there is a hockey game on at 8:00PM and I will miss it because some team cannot get the out needed to end the game in time? 

There are a million plus allegedly justifiable reasons to make a call, there is only one correct reason.  Player performance isn't it.

• rhughes18 Pro 114 posts since
    Feb 18, 2001
    20. Jul 26, 2010 10:47 AM (in response to Delaware ASA UIC)

This will be my last post on this topic.

I would never make a call on the basis of time, weather, or my plans for the evening.  That would be unethical.

When the outcome in my mind is uncertain I will error on the side of good play.

• Tom_Iceblue Rookie 3 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    21. Jul 26, 2010 11:28 AM (in response to rhughes18)

Quoting rhughes18: "I would never make a call on the basis of time, weather, or my plans for the evening. That would be unethical.

When the outcome in my mind is uncertain I will error on the side of good play. "

The capacity of the human mind to rationalize is, apparently, infinite.

BTW, a "perfect game" is a statistic; it is not a game result.  As a statistic, MLB can decide to recognize that game a "perfect" at its whim.

• Allin69 Amateur 29 posts since
    Dec 8, 2004
    22. Jul 27, 2010 6:30 AM (in response to Tom_Iceblue)

How do you define "good play?" Seems you are introducing additional umpire judgment to the game.

• New York Lady Cobras Amateur 13 posts since
    Aug 9, 2010
    23. Aug 9, 2010 10:37 AM (in response to rhughes18)
    Re: Tie goes to the runner, revisited.

I just have one thing to add to this debate. On a banger, as an umpire while I agree you don't take the play into consideration, you can explain the call, either way to the coach that, "In my judgement, the ball got to the glove and beat the runner, or the runner had the bag before the ball got to the glove. On bangers coaches understand that the calls can go either way. This is the worst call I ever want to make because this is such a bang bang play. Especially in a 1 man game.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...