Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

40396 Views 87 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2010 5:56 AM by lizzy24 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next
  • suefit Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 19, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Jul 27, 2009 6:40 PM (in response to dojojenn)
    Re: Has anyone raced pregnant?

should be no worries...did a 5k at 20 weeks...as long as you have been training up to this point, you should be fine...take it easy...listen to your body...eat light...just enough to keep the nausea away...otherwise have a great time!

• suefit Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 19, 2008
    76. Jul 27, 2009 6:41 PM (in response to Joe_h1)

Costco Speedos...typically the older women get these, but they fit great...will stretch as you stretch! Awesome price...typically around $20

• lindssimon Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 6, 2009
    77. Jul 27, 2009 8:32 PM (in response to Joe_h1)

If she is looking for something she can swim in that is cute and stylish here is a site that I found.

http://www.parents.com/pregnancy/my-life/maternity-fashion/stylish-maternity-swimsuits/

I got my maternity swimsuit at Old Navy online.

• PinkyMouse Amateur 14 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    78. Jul 28, 2009 8:11 AM (in response to dojojenn)

It's not the fact that the "exercise" of participating in a tri would be the issue if you are someone who normally trains and exercises as intensely as you would need to in preparation.  A good rule of thumb is not to start something NEW when pregnant.... your body's in a hyperdynamic state from the pregnancy as a baseline.

I think the concern would lean more toward risk of physical injury.  You would have less of a risk for injury if the sprint swim portion is in a pool, and running may not be a problem, provided the course isn't a steep trail, but certainly, the risk from biking would be something to take into consideration.  And, if it's a sprint, you KNOW that there will be plenty of "newbies" in the crowd that may not have much biking experience to not be considered a risk (it may not really matter what YOUR biking experience is... when there are a lot of new folks around, there can still be accidents).  There are so many injury possibilities that can result from a fall from a bike....... and unfortunately, you can't go back and change the outcome, once the damage is done.  I would think it's better to play it safe and keep the training up (train on a bike trainer indoors until it becomes real uncomfortable, then just stop for the end of the pregnancy), but seriously take all of these factors into consideration before making your final decision. 

Best of luck with your pregnancy!

• imroz Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 4, 2010
    79. Jun 28, 2010 2:32 AM (in response to dojojenn)

I have heard being pregnant, there are athletes who do that. That was nice to read the experiences of the athletes, before doing that, try to tyrain is fitness equipment like Used Stationary Bikes which are perfect fitness equipement that will definitely help you a lot.

• ekmcvay Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 20, 2007
    80. Jun 28, 2010 6:49 AM (in response to dojojenn)

HI...I have.  I would recommend it!  I have done a marathon at 11 weeks pregnant (time 5:05) and an olympic distance triathlon 19 weeks pregnant (time 2:29) and both babies were healthy and normal.  Just listen to your body and do what you feel like.  Enjoy it!

thanks,

Emily

• Tikijenn Amateur 15 posts since
    Jun 6, 2009
    81. Jul 7, 2010 1:05 PM (in response to helen82)

Awesome!  I agree.  Our lifestyle these days and our outlooks on what people should be doing is a little mixed up.  Pregnant women are not as fragile as some like to believe.  There seems to be a mentality that women are supposed to lie on the couch and not move a muscle while pregnant.  There was a time when women did a LOT more because they had to do it than what we do now.  I personally was put on bedrest for my last 2 pregnancies to prevent preterm labor but you better believe I would have done just as much as my body would have allowed me to do.  And that is the key:  Your body will tell you when it's had enough.  Use common sense and "listen" to your body's cues.

Jennifer Campbell

ThomastonTriathletes.ning.com

• Mom Of 7 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    82. Jul 15, 2010 7:45 AM (in response to Tikijenn)

I've been following this post for a while now. People who believe she's still pregnant, she has a healthy baby as this post is two years old. I'm a runner, as well as a triathlete rookie. I am pregnant with baby # 8, and I ran a marathon in July. I kept an eye on my heart rate (I decided on 165-170); I was only 3 to 4 weeks pregnant at the time, and the weather was nice and cool. Since then, I've found it hard to keep running. Nausea and 1st trimester tiredness have really cut into my desire to keep going. But I'm sure I'll get back into things. I wanted to do a tri this fall, prior to finding out I was pregnant, but I personally wouldn't feel safe riding on a road or around other cyclists while pregnant. So I will train indoors and hopefully find a spring triathlon soon after baby # 8 is born.

P.S.-We're hoping baby 8 is a girl, since my daughter is surrounded by older and younger brothers!

• shakira123 Amateur 3 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    83. Oct 22, 2010 11:45 PM (in response to dojojenn)

I like the this very much.And I'm so happy to see that

--------------------------------------------------ice hockey

• IronMakeover Community Moderator 738 posts since
    Jul 7, 2008
    84. Oct 26, 2010 9:32 AM (in response to dojojenn)

There's an article in the Oct/Nov 2010 issue of Lava Magazine. http://lavamagazine.com/#axzz13U0fAgIK

p. 120 Prenatal Performance

It includes comments from doctors, pregnant triathletes who've trained and raced, and tri coaches. Overall says it can be done, there are risks, but they can be alleviated, find a doctor you trust and who can help you.

It also shows a meal plan for a woman who was 32 years old, 128 pounds and 5 feet 4 inches.

I mostly swam during my pregnancies. I did run a marathon in the early weeks of my second pregnancy.

Best to you all,

Sara

Sara Cox Landolt

http://www.ironmakeover.blogspot.com/

• DrDani Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 19, 2010
    85. Oct 27, 2010 3:26 PM (in response to dojojenn)

I did my first triathlon (a sprint) when I was 10 weeks pregnant.  My doctor ok'd it, and my SO really thought I should do the race.  However, I took a lot of grief from family (my mom, mostly) and some co-workers who said there were too many things that could go wrong and that I shouldn't be taking the chance of hurting myself and especially not the baby.  I'm a horrible swimmer and a slow runner, so all I wanted to do was finish this race.  I took it slow and finished without any problem.  The bike was actually the hardest part for me not only because of steep hills but because my coccyx was screaming by half way through the bike course.  I was actually happy to be running at the end!

The interesting part is that, while I have always had to work hard at being athletic, pregnancy has given me no choice in the matter.  In the first trimester, I was experiencing a lot of fatigue and gaining weigh much more quickly than I had ever expected.  Even if I had WANTED to push myself to run a 10 minute mile, my body just didn't have the capability to do so.  I worried that when I felt like I was suffering from oxygen deprivation that I was suffocating the baby, but in retrospect I probably felt like I couldn't breath because the baby was actually taking all the oxygen that I was breathing in.

Additionally, I ran/walked a half marathon at 18 weeks.  That was only my third half marathon.  Again I took it slow and just wanted to finish without any issues.  Two weeks after that, I ran a 10K.  By this point though, I was at 20 weeks and had reached a point where running was becoming uncomfortable for any distance in my belly, feeling the jostling of everything, the baby bouncing on my bladder, and getting Braxton Hicks contractions frequently.

This is just my personal experience...

• joshscotia Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 24, 2010
    86. Nov 24, 2010 5:42 AM (in response to dojojenn)

no worries if you are not high risked for any disease

website usability checklist,

web design usability,

web design tips

• lizzy24 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 24, 2010
    87. Nov 24, 2010 5:56 AM (in response to dojojenn)

yes, I did a triathlon when I was 8 weeks and a full marathon at 17 weeks.  As long as you were training for this before you became pregnant you will be fine.  you must realize that you will be slower and time shouldn't matter, just the fact that you are competing is worth it.

you will know your limits once you start running.

i loved it, the fact that i was 8 weeks and 17 weeks pregnant and competing with everyone else was amazing.  I finished strong every race.

I would do it again, If i was pregnant again and had already been training.  I found my limits realy quick and wasn't happy with them but realized that I am accomplishing a whole lot more than just an event by running while prego.

make sure you ask your doctor, mine told me that as long as i am comfortable that is fine as I had been training for 3 months prior.  The doctor also explained that he witnesses easier deliveries from moms that work out and stay active.

hope this helps!

1 2 3 4 5 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...