Skip navigation

2141 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Oct 24, 2010 1:55 PM by basketballhq RSS
12shorty21 Amateur 17 posts since
Sep 6, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 2, 2010 12:45 PM

Ball Handling Help

I've been to two of my four tryouts and have made the first cut, but at the end of every tryout we do an scrimmage and I don't score. One reason is to show that I can be a team player, but I'm afraid that I won't make the team because I can't score with four other people. What are some things I can do to score more in scrimmages with the tallest players cramming the middle, or even get open shots.

• Dfense1st Rookie 3 posts since
    May 8, 2010
    1. Oct 2, 2010 3:52 PM (in response to 12shorty21)
    Re: Ball Handling Help

HEY SHORTY, ITS GREAT TO SEE THAT YOU WANT TO HELP THE TEAM BY SCORING, BUT PLEASE REMEMBER THAT YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE IN OTHER WAYS. IF YOU ARE IN THE MIND SET THAT

#1NO ONE WILL OUTWORK YOU

#2PLAY DEFENSE .....DEFENSE WINS

#3 MAKE SURE YOUR SHOOTING FORM IS IN ORDER ...THIS GIVES YOU THE BEST POSSIBLE CHANCE TO TAKE GOOD SHOTS

SEARCH THIS SITE FOR THE QUADS ...THEY WILL HELP YOUR GAME TREMENDOUSLY.... HAVE FUN!!!

• YungProdigy23 Amateur 7 posts since
    Apr 17, 2010
    2. Oct 3, 2010 9:18 AM (in response to 12shorty21)

Just make ball handling a priority every time you practice, even if you just go outside to shoot around, dribble the ball until it feels like both arms will fall off. Every practice start moving faster and faster until you practice faster than game speed. Practice certain go to moves over and over again, the more you do those moves the more comfortable you'll be when you bring the ball up and look your defender in the eye. Experiment with the step theory. The step theory is the idea that the first step in the crossover is deadlier than the actual move. That step is the base of all fake outs. Put a lot of emphasis on that step then make your move (each player uses the step differently so experiment while playing around with a friend, or practicing, or anytime you get your hands on a basketball). I cant promise the step theory will work out for you because its hard to explain, you just have to practice it and improvise sometimes. While scrimmaging don't forget to communicate with your team, try to get a pick and roll going, or an offball screen. Also, use headfakes and pump fakes, people never learn if you balance it correctly. Lastly you dont have to look to score every time you get the ball. If you catch the ball and there are no lanes to the basket, start esablishing a certain move like a jab step, or step back. This will get your defender predicting, once he thinks you'll jab or step back cleverly switch it up. Sorry if this doesn't make sense or if it doesn't help much, I'm in high school myself and this is stuff I learned while experimenting in scrimmages and pick up games so good luck! Ho and here's a quote that has inspired me: "Don't mistake activity with achievement" - John Wooden

• Phenom70 Legend 574 posts since
    Jul 27, 2010
    4. Oct 5, 2010 5:49 PM (in response to 12shorty21)

If you want easy buckets, stay moving.

What I mean by that is, on offense, continue to cut to the basket, run around picks, whatever. You'll get your chances for easy baskets, and you just need to finish.

And, on defense, be sure to anticipate passes, and stay with your man. Don't let him breath. Be all over him, and if he's not a confident player, he'll lose focus and make a mistake. Then, you need to capitalize on it, and start your own fastbreak and finish with a lay up, or draw a foul.

So, make sure to practice shooting free throws, dribbling with both hands, and being in really good shape.

• BBALL18 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    5. Oct 23, 2010 6:58 PM (in response to 12shorty21)

If you want to improve your ball handling skills then I highly reccomend using the following program, it will help you take your game to the next level. http://da741aoex9i29vewu507ooybtw.hop.clickbank.net/

• basketballhq Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 9, 2010
    6. Oct 24, 2010 1:55 PM (in response to 12shorty21)

Checkout basketballhq.com for ball handling drills done by the pros.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points