Skip navigation

1819 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 28, 2010 12:22 PM by Cory Steiner RSS
dspoland Amateur 23 posts since
Nov 17, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 26, 2010 11:44 AM

Now to the Important things...where to eat!!

We will be staying at the Hyatt in Rosslyn.  Any suggestions on where to eat??  OR  Where NOT to eat??  Preferably within walking distance.

Looking for a pre-race dinner Saturday night (think pasta!!) and a "pig out" kind of dinner for Sunday night.

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Oct 27, 2010 12:52 PM (in response to dspoland)
    Re: Now to the Important things...where to eat!!

Alas, not I. I live in New Jersey. I just didn't want you to think I was ignoring you.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• CWCastelli Legend 375 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007
    3. Oct 27, 2010 12:54 PM (in response to dspoland)

I'd like to help but I don't know Rosslyn. There is a great place out in Tyson's Corner called Maggiano's. Excellent Italian food served either individually or family style.  There is a Bucca di Beppo at 1825 Connecticut Ave, NW in DC. It would be a short cab ride.  A bunch of us ate the Bucca's in Pittsburgh for the Pittsburgh Marathon. On hte web I found Piola and Domaso in Rosslyn, though I have never been to either. Would recommend a reservation.  They all have websites.

I'm not slow, I'm rear security.

Thoroughbreds run fast and finish early.  Clydesdales run slow and pull beer wagons.  I'll be a Clydesdale.

• Little Five Amateur 27 posts since
    Oct 9, 2007
    5. Oct 28, 2010 8:17 AM (in response to dspoland)

Ok, I racked my brain and tried to respond yesterday, but the Active Gods were conspiring against me... so

I live in Rosslyn and, I can tell you... if you're staying at the Hyatt and want walking distance, there ain't much.  There's a Ledo's pizza in/next to the Best Western Iwo Jima that's right off Rt. 50.  I've never eaten at Ledo's, but from what I hear, it's really good.

Up the hill on Wilson (on the left) there's a place called Piola (sp?), it's right next to Cafe Asia and it's pretty good.  If you are willing to walk/metro a little bit, further up Wilson once you get into courthouse and clarendon, there are lots more places.  Some pasta/italian and other just tasty bites.  In Courthouse, there is an italian restaurant called... Toscana Grill (I think... sorry; i'm not remembering the name but it's in the same plaza as the AMC theatre and across from my FAVORITE thai resaturant ever, Sawatdee).  In Clarendon (further up Wilson Blvd.) there is a great place called 'Faccia Luna".  Really tasty homemade pasta and pizzas and it's just a good place.  (i go there a lot.)  The same guy owns Faccia Luna as The Boulevard Woodgrill, which is like 2 stores down, so if one is crowded (i'll get to that later...) you can try another place.  In the Clarendon shops, there's a Bertuccis, which isn't bad... basic italian fare.  There are lots of other restaurants in the Courthouse/Clarendon area (a much better option than Rosslyn, and just a short-ish walk; maybe 10-15 min? from the Hyatt in Rosslyn) including:

-a tapas place with tasty sangria (La Tosaca),

-a chili place (Hard Times, although i don't know that i'd recommend that for a pre-race meal, unless you really want to "blow" the competition away, if you know what i mean...)

-an indian place (Dehli Club) (although, see above),

-"Whitlow's on Wilson" that serves regular, american fare,

-Harry's Tap Room - american fare

-"3" - american/southern style food (owned by the Whitlow;s folks; they had a "bacon-rama" celebration a while ago that was tasty)

-Cheesecake Factory, self-explanitory (don't go for dinner, go for dessert)

-Baja Fresh (actually tasty mexican "fast food', although see Hard times caveat above)

and loads of other places you will walk by.

One word of caution though:  Clarendon on a saturday night is "hipster central" and the night before the MCM, it could be ever more crowded.  So, I would suggest trying for an early dinner or calling ahead to see who has space.

As far as you're "Pig Out" dinner (well deserved!) i have no idea what kind of food you like so my suggestions would be all over the map and i don;t know if you want walking distance or not...

I hope this helps.

I'll be out there cheering for ya'll sunday morning!!!!

Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow.  ~Mary Anne Radmacher

• Surfside262 Expert 39 posts since
    Nov 1, 2007
    6. Oct 28, 2010 9:11 AM (in response to dspoland)

Across the street of the Hyatt is a Ruby Tuesday's. A short Metro ride to Crystal City will offer many choices from Morton's Steakhouse to Chili's in and around the Crystal City Shops.

• grebmmada Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 28, 2010
    8. Oct 28, 2010 9:32 AM (in response to dspoland)

For dinner on Saturday night, my running partner and I are thinking of skipping the MCM Carbo Dining In pasta dinner.  If anyone wants to buy the two tickets off of us for face value, let me know.  Thanks!

• Little Five Amateur 27 posts since
    Oct 9, 2007
    9. Oct 28, 2010 9:43 AM (in response to dspoland)

Happy to help!

I forgot about the Village Bistro!  It's pretty good.

In that same complex there is also the (made famous by Pres. Obama) Ray's Hell Burger.  My freinds and I have a constant discussion about Ray's Hell burger; i'm not really a fan (there, i said it!)  but many of my freinds love it.  I'm more of a Five Guys girl myself.  There's also a mexican restaurant called "Guajillo" that i wasn't a huge fan of, but, again, I know lots of folks who really like it.

As for the post-race pig-out dinner, I am a frequent diner at that Red Hot and Blue.  Nothin' beats my own vat of iced tea and a basket of hush puppies. :-)

I say go for it!

As far as any other suggestions: for the steak lovers in the area, after my husband's first MCM a few years ago, we went to Fogo De Chao in DC (it's on Pennsylvania and 13th? - about a block from the Metro Center stop, which serves the Blue, Orange and Red lines.)  Really good.  Excellent salad bar, a wide variety of meat (it's one of those argentinian steak houses where they bring the different cuts of meat around and slice a piece of whatever you want off).  Or, there's the J&G steakhouse in the W hotel that's really tasty, too.

Down in crystal city, there's a Mortons, as somebody mentioned, and a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse with a kinda neat view of the potomac  and maybe the airport (it's not quite as lame as it sounds.)

Best wishes to all!!!!!

Courage doesn't always roar.  Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow.  ~Mary Anne Radmacher

• Cory Steiner Pro 61 posts since
    Jul 14, 2009
    10. Oct 28, 2010 12:22 PM (in response to dspoland)

"Two Amy's Pizza" over on the other side of DC, but worth the trek.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...