Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4191 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2010 4:17 PM by dawn_o RSS
AAllen1218 Rookie 2 posts since
Oct 26, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 26, 2010 1:05 PM

How soon should I run a 10K after my first 5K?

I am running my first 5K on Sunday, October 31st.  There is a 10K in my area on December 12th that I'm considering running.  Is it too soon to go from a 5K to a 10K in a little over a month?  Should I run more 5K races before I set my sights on a 10K?

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    1. Oct 26, 2010 1:25 PM (in response to AAllen1218)
    Re: How soon should I run a 10K after my first 5K?

You don't give enough information about yourself and your experience, fitness, etc.

What is your current longest run?  What is your goal with the 5k?  The 10k?

If you really are new and haven't run at least 4 miles by now, it is probably too soon to tackle the 10k unless you want to or are willing to walk part of it.

With respect to your goal of running a 10k, I personally don't find that running 5k races are that helpful.  The key difference between the two is the length.  If you want to run 10k races, you need to include longer runs regularly in your training.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    3. Oct 26, 2010 1:37 PM (in response to AAllen1218)

(I'm going to sound like a geezer, but that's ok) -- you're young and sound like you're basically healthy.  You don't say that you have any sore shins or other injuries.  If that's the case, I think you can do the 10k without much problem.  Based on your age, I'm going to suggest adding a mile per week to one of your runs so that you build up to a 6 mile run before the 10k.

I'm a little concerned that your weekly mileage is so low, but take your time to build up.

Good luck, and have fun with the races!

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,368 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Oct 26, 2010 1:43 PM (in response to AAllen1218)

I ran my first 10K (which was my first race) on mileage similar to what you're running.  It was a lot easier to find a 10K than a 5K back then.  You should be able to finish it.  Like surfing_vol said, add a mile per week to one run and you will be better prepared, plus have an idea of the distance.

Len

Len

• rbird Legend 1,073 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Oct 26, 2010 1:43 PM (in response to AAllen1218)

It’s not necessary to enter several 5k’s before stepping up to a 10k.

I think 6 weeks (almost 7 if you include the rest of this week) to add 2.5 miles of distance to your current 3.5 mile long run is fairly reasonable.  Adding .5 miles per week will get you there and I’ve seen beginner 10k training programs that were more aggressive than that.

Just pay attention to your body and don’t let the deadline imposed by the race impair your judgment.

A plan like this may help you:  http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm

You could probably start at the third week of this plan.

2010 Space Coast Marathon 4:27:39

2011 Charleston Marathon 4:25:58

2011 Croom Fools Run 50k 6:16:51

2011 Marine Corps Marathon 4:24:48

2011 Jacksonville Bank Marathon 4:44:12 (4:45 Pace Leader)

2012 Florida Keys Ragnar Relay 28:20:47 (3rd place-Mixed Ultra)

Check it out - I'm bloggin'!

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    6. Oct 26, 2010 1:58 PM (in response to AAllen1218)

Since you don't mention any specific struggles with the distances you are running so far, I assume that you are "comfortably" covering the 3+ miles right now.    But you're barely running 10 miles per week which isn't a lot of training base for a 10K.  If you don't feel like you would be pushing it too hard, maybe go for another day of 2-3 miles at an easy pace and at the same time add about 1/2 mile weekly to one of your runs - your weekly "long run".  You can increase your weekly "long run" from 3 to 6 miles in six weeks.  At the same time you will be building up your mileage to 15-16 miles/week which will better prepare you for a 10K.

You are young and healthy and it sounds like you are in good shape.  You should do fine.  Good luck!

• hallelujah Rookie 4 posts since
    Nov 27, 2007
    7. Oct 27, 2010 11:01 AM (in response to AAllen1218)

hey a allen! i run a running club for non-runners, and we've had dozens of people go from having never run to doing thier first 5k to doing their first 10k. you can do it, but the question is will the quick turnaround leave you unmotivated for the future... if it's super tough, the next time you go to run a 10k you might be carrying a negative vibe with you. THAT SAID, ramping up from 3.1 to 6.2 is easy compared to going from 0 to 3.1! the post about increasing your miles is a good one, but it doesn't necessarily take 15+ miles a week. what you do is run like usual, but do one distance run a week, and try and add a third of a mile to a half a mile each week... 3 to 4 will be tough, but 4 to 5 will be easier, and 5 to 6 will suprise you! the one thing i would say based on what you said, is that on your distance run, THROW OUT the clock... if you kick your pace back a minute per mile, you'll almost instantly be able to go a mile further... if you want any notes from any of my first timer 10k'ers let me know! good luck! kick butt! (10k is my favorite distance!)

• dawn_o Amateur 26 posts since
    May 6, 2010
    8. Nov 5, 2010 4:17 PM (in response to AAllen1218)

Congratulations on running your first race!  You're situation sounds a bit similar to mine.  I'm 37, tall and slim, and have never been athletic but decided in May that I wanted to become and runner and I'm moving full steam ahead.  I've been on a plateau of running 5k (sort of my safety net) for a couple of months now and finally pushed it on Halloween running a 9.5k race; the farthest distance I've ever gone.  I won't lie, by 7k I wanted to quit but I slowed my pace way down and crossed the finish line running, not walking.  I've signed up for a 10k on November 21 and relish the challenge only this time I hope to be in a better place because I'm slowly ramping up my distance.  One night per week I run with a club and we cover anywhere between 5k-7k so I know I'm capable of pushing beyond the 5k mark.  I would suggest going for the 10k and use it as a guideline for what you'd like to achieve afterwards.

Good luck!

--dawn

Terry Fox 5k Race | 19-September-2010 | 35:11

James Cunningham 9.5k Seawall Race | 31-October-2010 | 1:04:03.94

The Fall Classic 5k | 21-November-2010 | 28:15 PB!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points