Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

841664 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow RSS Go to original post 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 297 Previous Next
  • GunthorTM Pro 190 posts since
    Aug 8, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    420. Oct 29, 2010 5:11 PM (in response to happybarb)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

happybarb wrote:

GunthorTM, Good for you getting out there, sometimes it just takes a bit of self-talk (positive instead of negative) to get our bodies moving.  Just telling yourself you could turn back if conditions were bad, I think the first 5 minutes are the worst and after that you will stay out there and finish your goal.  Right?   It's always interesting to find out how  people dress for there runs, I'm always a bit cold when I leave but most of the time hot when I get back.  Happy running!

Yes Barb, sometimes the biggest battles we fight go on between our ears!  I am looking forward to my vacaction starting in 2 hours and hopefully getting in some bike riding as well as running.  Have a great weekend!

Not all who wander are lost.

Puckerface 5K 9/11/10 44:27

Haunted Hustle Trail 5K 10/24/10 49:06

Portage Y 10th Annual Turkey Trot 11/25/10 41:27

Foot Pursuit 5K Trail Run 3/5/11 55:41 (Hilly & Muddy)

OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon 5/7/2011 3:27:07

Nativity Fest 5K 6/26/11 43:34- 3rd Place Clysdales

Red Dawn 5K Cross Country race 45:46 DLF

Rotatary Ramble 8/13/11 45:06

Puckerface 5K 9/10/11 42:59

• Beacon4Him Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 15, 2010
    421. Oct 29, 2010 5:35 PM (in response to Dlwgolfpro)

I can not even imagine running a marathon at this point!!!  I was just surprised at my "lack" of ability after the 5K.  I just thought that would pump me up even more.  I'm planning to do another 5K in Dec so maybe that will get me excited again and help.  Having said that, we just returned from vacation and I didn't hit a lick while we were in Gatlinburg.  Lost a whole week so another set back.  I'm hitting it tomorrow with no excuses!!

I enjoy reading all the post on what everyone is doing and seeing how some are making new friends.  Oh cool!!

Connie Q Carter

Hebrews 12:1

C25K grad (1st time) 9/2009

First 5K--Unity Run--9/29/09--39:04

WSMS 5K--10/17/09--34:28

Began "Run for God" 7/2010

4K Run for Katie 10/4/10--29:17

Dalton HM/5K 10/16/10--35:10

• Beacon4Him Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 15, 2010
    422. Oct 29, 2010 5:51 PM (in response to Donna914)

I've been reading The Runner's Handbook by Bob Glover and Complete Book of Running by Amby Burfoot. I recently downloaded Runner's World Complete Book of Women's Running to my kindle.  Keep those other titles coming!!

Have a GREAT night!!

Connie Q Carter

Hebrews 12:1

C25K grad (1st time) 9/2009

First 5K--Unity Run--9/29/09--39:04

WSMS 5K--10/17/09--34:28

Began "Run for God" 7/2010

4K Run for Katie 10/4/10--29:17

Dalton HM/5K 10/16/10--35:10

• Julia66 Pro 75 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010
    423. Oct 29, 2010 6:11 PM (in response to Dlwgolfpro)

Yes, there's a letdown after an event and a feelling of "what now?" I agree that a couple days off followed by getting back into running is a good idea. Last weekend I went for a 4-mile run in the rain, my longest run since the race. It was a light rain and the wind didn't start until I was nearly home, so it was actually very pleasant. I remembered not to be bothered by running a lot slower than my 5K time, because it wasn't a race, it was the easy run it was supposed to be.

My son asked me if I had another race coming up and when the next Mermaid run would be. I told him Nov. 14th and he said I should sign up. I don't know - I might want to switch to more biking before the weather makes me exercise indoors.

Completed 2013:

Guadalupe River Run 10K April 2013 (1:01:36) PR!!

Completed 2012:

Turkey Trot 5K Nov 2012

RSS Fun Run 10K May 2012 (1:03:17)

Mermaid Run 10K May 2012 (1:09:37)

Completed 2011:

Turkey Trot 10K Nov 2011 (1:05:20)

Firefly 5K Oct 2011 (49:14) - with DH and DS at son's pace

Rock 'n' Roll Half Oct 2011 (2:32:12)

Run for the Sun 5K Aug 2011 (30:17) PR!!

Coyote Hills 3.5 mi Jan 2011 (38:47)

• Dlwgolfpro Amateur 14 posts since
    Sep 10, 2010
    424. Oct 29, 2010 6:13 PM (in response to Beacon4Him)

I  read the following books when I was preparing for the Atlantic City Marathon:  "Marathon-You Can Do It" (Revised Edition) by Jeff Galloway,  "Marathon-The Ultimate Training Guide" by Hal Higdon, and "Marathoning for Mortals" by John Bingham.  I found "Marathoning for Mortals" to be the most helpful to me since I was preparing to walk a marathon, but all three gave helpful advice and training plans for every level of runner.

Good luck to everyone who is competing this weekend. I am out of commission for another week as I am having a few tendon problems on my right foot.  But the doctor said I can start biking next Tuesday and I will be so glad to get out and start exercising again.  Sitting around is killing me.  Have a great weekend.

Dave

• Turtle Who Runs Pro 110 posts since
    Sep 29, 2009
    425. Oct 30, 2010 7:45 PM (in response to Dlwgolfpro)

Hi penguins,

Glad to see everyone is doing well and adapting to the colder weather.  Today was a rough day for me.  Did another duathlon this morning and it didn't go as well as I'd hoped.  I'd been busy with work and sick with a cold the past week, so I knew I wouldn't be 100%, but my heart just wasn't in it today.  The race was supposed to be a 2 mile run/13 mile ride/2 mile run, but it turned out to be a 2.3 mile run/14.5 mile ride/2.5 mile run.  It's tough because going into it I estimated my time to finish and figured my body could handle it, but the realty was different than I thought.  I wasn't feelin' it from the very beginning and dropped to dead last in the run (there were no walkers or woggers in this race), and had the "opportunity" to be followed by the safety vehicle through the whole race.  Ugh!

I was last out of transition on the bike, but during my first loop, I passed a couple of people, so great, I wasn't last anymore--but apparently that wasn't the case because they were on their second loop already.  It didn't make sense to me because there were much faster people passing me on their second loop, the real pros, the ones that are part of triathlon teams, so how could these two people who were riding slower than me, be on their second loop.  I felt really dejected at this point, because as I'm passing certain logistical points (certain turns and intersections that were staffed by race staff to direct people) they're letting everyone know, "okay we can go now, she's the last one" and similar comments.  So embarrasing!  I really wanted to quit, but I kept going.  I told one of the people that there were two people behind me, but nobody seemed to believe me.  It just didn't make sense.  Later, the story was told that these two people were misdirected and ended up riding a third loop (with all the people directing riders shouldn't somebody had realized they already rode two loops-I knew and I was still on the course, and why didn't they turn around!!), and that they didn't run. Funny, because I saw them finish on foot about 20 minutes after I did.  Even though I was "last", I still finished, and made my husband finish the second run with me.  I think my final time was 2:17:20 or something close, the official results aren't up yet.  I really though I could finish in 2 hours, or maybe 2:05-2:10 tops.  The whole race was so upsetting, it just made me feel so bad.

Anyway, thanks for letting whine and complain, it just wasn't my day.  Although, I did win a case of really good beer from a local brewery in the raffle, so I guess that was good.

I think I'm going to take a break from races for a little while, except for a 5K next Sunday, and our local Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning, and we do this other holiday run right before Christmas, and the NYS parks winter run series starts in January.  I can't believe I consider this a break; I guess I'm hooked.

Have a Happy Halloween

-Kelly

-I may be slow, but at least I'm moving forward. 
  • NancyLakes Amateur 27 posts since
    Aug 26, 2010
    426. Oct 30, 2010 8:17 PM (in response to Donna914)

Hello everyone!

For some reason I keep having problems logging in. I've been reading and keeping up with everyone, but not able to post!

I've been running my slow runs as often as I can. I am up to a 16mm pace now!  I've ran two miles (with walk breaks), and that's a new record distance for me.

I'm SLOW! LOL!  But I get there! I'm enjoying this experience so much.

I have a 5K coming up next weekend, on Nov. 6th. I just want to finish it no matter what my time will be.

It's awesome reading about all of your races!! yay for us!! We're penguines but we are NOT sitting on a sofa somewhere!

Started running 4/21/10

1st 5K ran on 11/6/10  Flying Fortress 5K  - 48:29

Enmark Savannah River Bridge Run  5K - 54:14 (walked/ran with my son)

Susan G. Koman Race for the Cure 5K  - 59:02 (walked with my dd)

Coming up:

Watermelon Crawl 6 miler - July 4th (a little nervous)

Registered for: Savannah Rock N Roll HM -11/6 (terrified!)

• coolbikermom Legend 418 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010
    427. Oct 31, 2010 12:37 PM (in response to Turtle Who Runs)

Kelly, that's the downside of racing. When you have a bad day, or, hell, even when you have a GOOD day and finish last or near the end, it's depressing and demotivating. It's horrible when you're doing your best and you start to feel like your best isn't good enough. And it's way too easy to compare yourself with others, looking at folks older than you and thinking 'well, at least I'll be able to beat them' and then watching them sprint ahead like a gazelle. Then you start focusing on not being last. Guess what, in every race, someone is last. And someone else is next to last, and so on.

I've finished next to last in the last 5k I did, and 66 out of 81 in the 10k. On the 5k I did a lot of walking because I was doing it with my daughter who is just beginning. The 10k, I expected to finish middle of the pack and that didn't happen. I actually ran it harder than I should have, thinking I was keeping my own pace but in actuality I couldn't believe how fast everybody else was going.

I have a half marathon scheduled for January but I don't think I'm going to do any more races until then. Just train, and learn what that feels like and try to stay there during the race. It's a sold out event in SoCal, and I'm sure there will be walkers in there I can beat (seriously? do you hear me here?). Bottom line for me though is I now have 2 months to retrain my brain and run my race, my way, for me and nobody else.

Now, having said all that, you got out there, less than 100% and did it. You finished it! You were way ahead of the majority of the population who were nursing hangovers, or sleeping in, or not fit enough to even try. So give yourself some credit here! At my 10k finish, I realized that not only were my kids (in their 20s) unable to run that distance, they were both still in bed asleep. So kudos to you!

C25k dropout

Rock the Parkway 5k 3/27/10  37:40.6

Mother's Day 5k  5/9/10  33:19

Walk/Run for Isaiah 9/18/10 4.4k 37:26

Harvest Moon 10k 10/23/10  1:08.50

Great Santa 5k 12/5/10 33:22

Carlsbad half marathon 1/23/11

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." ~Albert Einstein

• willwrite4chocolate Pro 124 posts since
    Aug 1, 2010
    428. Oct 31, 2010 8:07 AM (in response to Turtle Who Runs)

Dear Turtle Who Runs. I'm so proud that you just kept going. I'm heading toward a turkey trot (5 miles) on Thanksgiving and fear that I will come in last, but now you've shown me that, even if I do, it can be survived! Way to go you!!! I really like what coolbikermom said about running your own race. Have you seen Secretariat? That's what the father of the character played by Diane Lane tells her about the horse, "Just let him run his race." So what if we're slow. We're moving.

Waddle on, Penguins!!!

~ Nita

• mythic Pro 103 posts since
    Aug 16, 2010
    429. Oct 31, 2010 9:37 AM (in response to Donna914)

Wow...this is definitely the right place for me

I love the term 'penguin' too--I think it applies to me not only in speed, but in that I love walking/hiking/jogging in cold weather!  I can hardly wait to get out the snowshoes!

I just finished the C25K program yesterday with a 5K race...and while I plodded along without stopping to walk once, I definitely...er...plodded!

But I was proud of myself for doing what I set out to do--to finish the C25K program and then a 5K race, jogging all the way!

So, now that I've done that and reached that goal...I have to decide what is next.  There is a Turkey Trot here, but it's 4 miles and, looking at the finish times for last year, everyone is running a pretty fast pace--so I would be last or pretty close to last, at my 14+ minute/ mile pace.  I have not run a continuous 4 miles yet and don't want to kill myself over the next three weeks trying to 'get there.'  There is also a 2 mile health walk and competitive walk--so I might go for the walk and just enjoy myself.  Ironically, I'm a fast walker ...and probably can almost walk as fast as my current jogging pace.

But what I'm wondering now--and why I've joined this group--is how to continue to train. I'm wondering if I am approaching it all wrong by trying to continuously jog--or if I'd do better (and not just in speed/time but distance) if I did intervals of walking/jogging.  I'd like to do a couple of half-marathons next year.  But after completing the C25K program and running in a 5K--I'm getting the feeling that maybe I should approach my future training in a more creative way, combining walking and running for distance.  The two half-marathons I have in mind are 'easy' level or downhill tracks. One on pavement and another on trails.

Ultimately, I want to do trail running.  There's nothing quite like trail running--it keeps your mind busy and your feet 'on their toes' with the changing terrain.

I'm going to look up "No Need for Speed" and some of the other books listed here.

Sorry for the long intro, but again--glad I found this thread.  I want to keep going, but a support group really helps, as I'm doing this all solo!

C25K Graduate 10-30-10

"Do it now. You become successful the moment

you start moving toward a worthwhile goal."

~Samuel Johnson

• GunthorTM Pro 190 posts since
    Aug 8, 2010
    430. Oct 31, 2010 11:53 AM (in response to Donna914)

I am so proud of my daughter!  She ran in the local AAU event today and finished in 14:32 for a 2K, she ran the entire course and even held off a girl at the end

012.JPG

Not all who wander are lost.

Puckerface 5K 9/11/10 44:27

Haunted Hustle Trail 5K 10/24/10 49:06

Portage Y 10th Annual Turkey Trot 11/25/10 41:27

Foot Pursuit 5K Trail Run 3/5/11 55:41 (Hilly & Muddy)

OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon 5/7/2011 3:27:07

Nativity Fest 5K 6/26/11 43:34- 3rd Place Clysdales

Red Dawn 5K Cross Country race 45:46 DLF

Rotatary Ramble 8/13/11 45:06

Puckerface 5K 9/10/11 42:59

• 10Lainie31 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 31, 2010
    431. Oct 31, 2010 1:07 PM (in response to Donna914)
    Happy Halloween!

I am currently cooling down on the couch after my first C25K run! I'm a college sophomore and, although I was fit in high school because of marching band, I gained a bit of weight my freshman year and can see that it's not getting better. My church is starting the C25K program and I decided to give it a try at school. No more excuses!

My first run was nice. In honor or Halloween, I ran in the graveyard bordering the school. Actually, a lot of people run/walk back there so it's not uncommon around here. I put on my special "workout" playlist that I added to my iPod today and did it! I'm pretty proud of myself and I feel like, now that I've started, I won't allow myself to ruin the work I've already done by quitting.

I am certainly a slow runner and I believe it's because, in high school marching band, we would run as a group in-step with the beat and all together, so it conditioned me to run in small, short steps. I'm trying to get out of this habit because I know I could cover a lot more ground if I just stretch out my steps. Any advice?

Anyway, enough about me! Happy jogging!

• willwrite4chocolate Pro 124 posts since
    Aug 1, 2010
    432. Oct 31, 2010 7:11 PM (in response to 10Lainie31)
    Re: Happy Halloween!

10Lainie31. About the small steps. After reading a number of books on running, I had to retrain myself to take smaller steps. The way to improve is to increase the number of strides per minute. I posted previously about running with a metronome and learning very gradually to take more steps per minute. The length of my stride increases as I lean forward. This is technique I learned from Chi Running which might not be for everyone, but the small steps I read in several different books. I'm probably not using the right term for it. Foot turnover speed or something like that, but it's much easier on the joints than pulling with your legs.

~ Nita

• betsyblythe Pro 84 posts since
    May 8, 2008
    433. Oct 31, 2010 8:05 PM (in response to Donna914)

So glad to have found this group!  I need some camaraderie!  I am a 42 year old doggy momma that is returning to running after many years away!  I used to run and work out like crazy, even trained for and completed a bunch of marathons but have ALWAYS been a penguin.  It used to drive me nuts, but someone has to be in the middle of the pack - right???  Anyhow, have searched and searched for a running partner, but no such luck. I must say being a solo penguin can be pretty tough!  I got kind of discouraged and haven't went for a singe run in the last two weeks, but committed to get back at it tomorrow - Monday November first sounded like a good day to re-join the race    For major motivation, I just registered for a 1/2 marathon in June 2011!  Hope I an be ready!!!

Betts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Virtual St. Patrick's Day Run - Idaho March 17 - missed/injured

Beat the Doc Canine Run 5k in Eagle Island State Park  March 26 - missed/injured

Twilight 5k in Lewiston/Clarkston April 8.- Complete- 45  min

Komen Race For The Cure - Boise May 7- Complete 30 min

See Jane Run Half Marathon Boise June 18 

Fit for Life on   Boise July 9  

Dirty Dash 10k Boise August 27

Payette Lake Run McCall Sept 4

St Lukes Womens Celebration 5k Boise September 24

City of Trees Half Marathon Boise October 9

• betsyblythe Pro 84 posts since
    May 8, 2008
    434. Oct 31, 2010 8:12 PM (in response to GunthorTM)

Too sweet!!!!

Betts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Virtual St. Patrick's Day Run - Idaho March 17 - missed/injured

Beat the Doc Canine Run 5k in Eagle Island State Park  March 26 - missed/injured

Twilight 5k in Lewiston/Clarkston April 8.- Complete- 45  min

Komen Race For The Cure - Boise May 7- Complete 30 min

See Jane Run Half Marathon Boise June 18 

Fit for Life on   Boise July 9  

Dirty Dash 10k Boise August 27

Payette Lake Run McCall Sept 4

St Lukes Womens Celebration 5k Boise September 24

City of Trees Half Marathon Boise October 9

1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 ... 297 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...