Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2950 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2010 4:26 AM by suzeqt RSS
rkblackwell Amateur 36 posts since
May 19, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Oct 26, 2010 7:01 PM

I got some hip pain!

Hi

I'm having pain in my hip.  It started as slight pain not too long ago... I thought it was from using the elliptical to warm up before runs, but that doesn't make much sense.  It feels entirely muscular, and no, there's no pain radiating down my leg, or into my knee, or into my back.  Maybe into my butt a little...  it hurts when I push off on this leg (my right), when I walk, go up stairs, etc.  It's not debilitating, but was very uncomfortable on my run last night.  Any thoughts?  I'm going to try to upload a fabulous mspaint picture I created showing where it is.  It's on the outside of my hip, like on top of where the femur hooks up to the pelvis.  It's not on the pelvis/hipbone itself.  Muscle strain?

Attachments:
  • flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Oct 30, 2010 11:20 AM (in response to rkblackwell)
    Re: I got some hip pain!

I'm so sorry for all that you're going thru.. take it easy and get some rest

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    3. Oct 30, 2010 12:06 PM (in response to rkblackwell)

Ck out this page http://www.emedicinehealth.com/hip_pain/article_em.htm  It might help you figure out the prob based on your syptoms.

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• Lauracooks Pro 76 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    4. Oct 30, 2010 12:47 PM (in response to rkblackwell)

It sounds like hip bursitis, a common problem in distance runners. A little PT will help that, see an ortho.

Lauracooks

Previous

'10 Zoo Run Run 25:31

'10 Strawbeerry Classic 10k 55:06

'10 Clearwater HM 2:02:14

'10 Space Coast Marathon 4:13:10

'11 Dances With Dirt Trail Marathon 5:54:34

'11 Bolt Run 5M 44:04

Upcoming

'11 Florida Youth Ranch Marathon

'11 Trout Creek 15K

'11 John Holmes Run/Croom 15m

'11 Wisconsin Marathon

• blakesrun Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 2, 2010
    6. Nov 2, 2010 5:39 PM (in response to rkblackwell)

Sorry about hip pain.   I was training for first Marathon, about 5 weeks before started having r hip pain. I  took four days off before marathon thinking it would be okay.   Well, mile 5 pain started - then it would go away then it would come back and be worse.  I knew the marathon would not be about time just focused on finishing.  Mile 20 felt a pop and the pain was so intense.  I finished the marathon but in alot of pain.   The Dr at the finish line said it was my it band and some kind of fluid sac probably popped.(couldn't focus to much on what was being said cuz I just finished my first marathon)  Went to ER when I got home had and xray- they said it was bursitis and a muscle sprain.  It's been 3 weeks and haven't ran yet, but I have no more hip pain in my r side.   Will go to pt this week to see if they think I am ready to run again.

• suzeqt Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 28, 2010
    8. Nov 3, 2010 4:26 AM (in response to rkblackwell)

When I've put too many miles on a pair of shoes, I get hip pain.  You may need to get new shoes with better support. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points