Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

395 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2004 7:09 PM by Guest
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 19, 2004 9:17 PM

mile time for hs girls

whats a good mile time for girls my hs track coach is trying to get me to run the mile but i dont know what a good time to reach is  i can run it under 6 min but what should be a good time

• Kawasa Expert 381 posts since
    Aug 14, 2007
    1. Dec 20, 2004 10:01 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: mile time for hs girls

4:55

• radyk110 Amateur 32 posts since
    Jul 30, 2004
    3. Dec 20, 2007 11:40 PM (in response to Guest )

4:55 is an awesome mile time.....i'm pretty sure there arn't a tonn of hs girls running this. I'd say a good mile time for a hs girl would be anything under about 5:20.
    You didn't say what distances you usually do, ar eyou more of a lond distance runneR?
    good luck with the mile!!

edited to say...5:57? to 4:55....you have a bit of work to do but you can do it!!!

[http://This message has been edited by radyk110 (edited Dec-20-2004).|http://This message has been edited by radyk110 (edited Dec-20-2004).]

• CoachB008 Amateur 761 posts since
    Apr 27, 2000
    6. Dec 21, 2004 1:03 AM (in response to Guest )

The number of high school girls in the US that can run under 4:55 can usually be counted on your fingers and toes (ie, if you can run 4:55, you are one of the top girls in the country). 

A more realistic good time for a first timer that has aspirations of being good is under 6 minutes. So, I'd say you are well on your way to being good if you have run 5:57 on your first attempt.

It is good that you have run sprints.  At the top levels of miling, speed is essential.  Having a sprint background will help you outkick your opponents.  Now the key for you is to get your endurance built up so that you can be close enough to your opponents at the end of a race to kick home with them.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...