Skip navigation

2103 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2010 4:29 PM by pete26pt2 RSS
chug0lug Expert 44 posts since
Oct 29, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 1, 2010 5:29 AM

Is it supposed to hurt this much?

I completed my first Marathon!  It was kinda slow, very painful, but still a PR (5:38 and change) and a great feeling of pride and accomplishment.  From about mile 15 to the end, I couldn't run for more than 1-2 minutes before both quads would start to cramp and turn into knots.  Needless to say, there a whole lot of walking from that point forward.  Good news is I kept moving and managed to finish.  Everything still hurts a lot and I've felt sick and nauseous since I finished.  I'm guessing maybe I was dehydrated, but I'm sure there all kinds of problems I may have had or combination of problems.  Thanks to everyone here for all of the support and advice.  This message board has been a great source of information and inspiration.

A goal without a plan is just a wish

• DelawareVike Amateur 22 posts since
    May 1, 2008
    1. Nov 1, 2010 6:23 AM (in response to chug0lug)
    Re: Is it supposed to hurt this much?

Drink Cherry Juice!

Seriously, this stuff works.  Been using it for the last 4 years and the next day is amazing.  In fact I am already up and about with no pain.  Stairs are a little tricky but if you saw me you would never know I ran a Marathon yesterday.

I have done 6 MCM's and I have some tricks that I use to make sure I finish and live the next day pain free.

For one, I do not drink Powerade.  I use Heed from Hammer and mix it in my own water bottle at the water stations.  Then every hour I pop Hammer Endurolyte tablets to prevent cramping.  Yesterday I did a 4:47, last year I did a 4:32 so I am not the fastest runner but I feel no pain, and every year I know that I could run 30 miles or more if needed with this stuff.

For now get some Tart Dark Cherry Juice, Knudsen's makes some decent stuff.  Not the juicy juice kids stuff, but the real stuff you get at a vitamin shoppe and you will feel much better.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,267 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Nov 1, 2010 6:29 AM (in response to chug0lug)

Yeah, it sounds like you were/are dehydrated.  The wind yesterday didn't help.  It dries the sweat and cools you too much, which can contribute to cramps.  Go for a long walk - a mile or two.  Gets lots of fluids.  And get a laugh from this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-hCuYjvw2I&p=93DDAA27B5343AAF&playnext=1&index=11

Len

• Becky8846 Legend 686 posts since
    Apr 1, 2009
    3. Nov 1, 2010 6:37 AM (in response to chug0lug)

Yay chug0lug!!!  You did it!  Remember that a hitching gait and blackened toenails are badges of courage.  I hope you feel better soon, but in the mean time, rest on your laurels, Marathon Runner!  Great work.

cherry juice, huh?  You learn something new all the time here.  I love iced coffee with milk and chocolate syrup after the long ones.  Fixes me right up.

• Maccon Amateur 24 posts since
    Aug 20, 2010
    4. Nov 1, 2010 7:42 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

I can't stop laughing at that video!  Thanks for posting!

• MikeDaMarine08 We're Not Worthy 2,498 posts since
    Aug 14, 2008
    5. Nov 1, 2010 7:54 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Thanks for posting that Len!

MCM '09, '10, '11

Richmond Marathon '09

RNR Arizona Marathon '10

RNR Mardi Gras Marathon '10

Shamrock Marathon '10, '12

Frederick Marathon '10

Madison Marathon '10

1/2 Sauer 1/2 Kraut Marathon '10

Baltimore Marathon '10

Outer Banks Marathon '10

Seashore 50K

Houston '12

Flying Pig '12

Next Race - MCM Baby!!!!!!

• Prestidge_Valerie Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 2, 2010
    6. Nov 2, 2010 2:32 PM (in response to chug0lug)

If the muscles are very tight, swollen, excessively warm or extremely tender to touch or movement, a condition known as rhabdomyolysis (which involves excessive muscle damage) may be present.  If still very symptomatic, or urine has been noted to be brown or dark orange - get to an ER to get checked out.  There are blood tests that need to be done and if condition is severe enough hospitalization with continuous IV fluid administration is required.

If muscles are only mild to moderately sore, and he has been able to urinate several times since race with no brown or dark orange urine observed, then soreness may improve with pushing oral fluid intake and easy walking about chest deep in a pool where water is cool. 

W. B. Adams, MD

Medical Director

Marine Corps Marathon

• pete26pt2 Amateur 26 posts since
    Aug 8, 2010
    7. Nov 2, 2010 4:29 PM (in response to Prestidge_Valerie)

Had the same trouble with quads at mile 21.  Funny thing I had NEVER had any issue with quads while training.  This was my first also so now I know what to expect.  I had issue with gels, the thought of taking another one after mile 18 made me sick!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...