Currently Being Moderated

Oct 31, 2010 8:47 AM

Oct 31 - 35th Marine Corps Marathon!

Ran a 5k this morning.

Now I'm watching the live-stream of the MCM

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Oct 31, 2010 12:10 PM (in response to skypilot77)
    Re: Oct 31 - 35th Marine Corps Marathon!

Well I think everything that could have gone wrong did, but still a PR by 1 min was hoping for 15.   I was good at the half then it went to Sh-t.  Hope every one had a great race.   This is still a great 50th birthday (early) tomorrow, spending it with my daughter has make the week-end great and I have many more years for a BQ (I hope).  Are you all meeting at Car Pool tonight.  Thanks for all the support.

• ploddinalong Amateur 37 posts since
    Apr 16, 2010
    2. Oct 31, 2010 1:49 PM (in response to BOSNPM)

I ditto the everything that could have gone wrong did comment.  Including a bad fish dinner last night, a possilbe asthma flare up (bad), last minute, uh oh I forgot my ______________ x3 and so much more.  I ended up bailing out at mile 10 because I was dragging so much that by the time I got to the third water stop they were just about done cleaning up, by the oranges, they HAD cleaned up.   Was kind of puzzled because at mile 4 or 5 I was told I was on pace to make the bridge.  Oh well.  I planned on snagging the jelly bellys on the way, and I knew I couldnt make it throug the race without some sort of fuel.  So, next year I will do the 10K.  But a HUGE thank you to everyone on this board who encouraged me along the way!

• Becky8846 Legend 686 posts since
    Apr 1, 2009
    3. Oct 31, 2010 3:06 PM (in response to skypilot77)

Great work on the 5K Skypilot!

Happy Birthday, Phillip!  May your 50th be full of fun (I got cranky and tried to cancel my party!), and may your year be full of wonderful accomplishments.  A PR is a PR!  Too bad it wasn't what you'd hoped, but look at it this way - you have all sorts of wiggle room for PR after PR this year!  Thank you for all you've done for my family this year - it meant a lot.  Her app for the early is posted - we hope to hear December 24th.  Keep your fingers crossed.

Plodding - so sorry you had a bad day, but that's all it was - a bad day.  Keep at it and you will achieve your goals.

I got 20 done today and it was a rough one due to the fact that my shoes are worn out!  I knew this 2 weeks ago and for the short term they are uncomfortable, but I can finish and get on with it.  I learned the painful lesson on procrastination today - pile driver from the soles of my feet to my hips as they were driven up into my rib cage.  Sore now.  Must go to store tomorrow and get new shoes!  Live and learn.

I heard on FB that Batman and Batgirl (AndrewBlur and FLKaren) were quite a hit!  Batgirl PR'd!  They pulled off the mission of carrying the USMC colors in honor of JimmyDJarhead's October 500 since he couldn't get leave to come to the States for MCM to finish his miles.  (MikedaMarine, Former BAM, Chris "I'm not slow I'm rear security, and the Snowman - I think I have the call signs close.)  I'm thinking that was pretty cool and am looking forward to the photo opps.  Dutch Omi and her husband were head cheerleaders and the yellow pompoms were in play.  I wish I could have been there - sounds like an awesome day!

RR's are anxiously awaited!  Everyone!  I mean it!    

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Oct 31, 2010 7:42 PM (in response to Becky8846)

I think Charlie, Nita and Mike carried the flag.  Chris was supposed to do the final leg but Mike said he carried it the last 10 miles.  Craig (sometimes known as  the Snowman) was not involved and was a spectator today.

Len

• CWCastelli Legend 375 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007
    5. Nov 1, 2010 5:44 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

So that's why I never found the colors.  Pretty ticked off that I wasn't given the opportunity to support Jimmy.  I looked all over before the start and couldn't find anyone. Saw Charlie coming down the hill into Georgetown as we were headed up Spout Run, and tried to call out to him to no avail..  Was really looking forward to carrying the colors.

I'm not slow, I'm rear security.

Thoroughbreds run fast and finish early.  Clydesdales run slow and pull beer wagons.  I'll be a Clydesdale.

• Becky8846 Legend 686 posts since
    Apr 1, 2009
    6. Nov 1, 2010 6:33 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Thanks for clearing me up Len - I thought about it later that I might have that wrong.  I kind of wish everyone would use their name like I do - I'm Becky here and on FB.  Keeps me from being muddled.    The event was well done I would say.  Too bad the handoff got missed, Chris, but the mission was completed anyway.  I wasn't at all worried - y'all are Marines!  So cool.

• thefirecat Community Moderator 2,779 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Nov 1, 2010 1:59 PM (in response to CWCastelli)

CWCastelli wrote:

So that's why I never found the colors.  Pretty ticked off that I wasn't given the opportunity to support Jimmy.  I looked all over before the start and couldn't find anyone. Saw Charlie coming down the hill into Georgetown as we were headed up Spout Run, and tried to call out to him to no avail..  Was really looking forward to carrying the colors.

Dude, we looked everywhere for you. I know Mike was trying to get ahold of you Saturday night, and went all the way back to the 6 hour start corral looking for you, to no avail. I know they were looking forward to having you as part of the relay. So sorry you weren't able to hook up with them.

Apparently you and I were running pretty close to each other at Spout Run, as I also saw Nita and Charlie running the colours down the hill there.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

• MikeDaMarine08 We're Not Worthy 2,498 posts since
    Aug 14, 2008
    8. Nov 1, 2010 2:34 PM (in response to CWCastelli)

That was entirely my fault Chris, I knew that you were as pumped up as everybody else was to support.  I had to make a tough call and I didn't want to risk the clolors getting left on the course.  I am sorry that it went down like this.

SF

Mike

MCM '09, '10, '11

Richmond Marathon '09

RNR Arizona Marathon '10

RNR Mardi Gras Marathon '10

Shamrock Marathon '10, '12

Frederick Marathon '10

Madison Marathon '10

1/2 Sauer 1/2 Kraut Marathon '10

Baltimore Marathon '10

Outer Banks Marathon '10

Seashore 50K

Houston '12

Flying Pig '12

Next Race - MCM Baby!!!!!!

• CWCastelli Legend 375 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007
    9. Nov 1, 2010 4:58 PM (in response to MikeDaMarine08)

As we would say in the old country - Que Sera, Sera. Roughly translated to "Eff it, what's done is done".   Just found out that my 25th USNA reunion is the week before the 36th MCM, not the same weekend as I thought. So we will have to honor Jimmy again with the relay if he doesn't make it. And I better be involved this time!  Don't want me going all Wookie on you.

I'm not slow, I'm rear security.

Thoroughbreds run fast and finish early.  Clydesdales run slow and pull beer wagons.  I'll be a Clydesdale.

• MikeDaMarine08 We're Not Worthy 2,498 posts since
    Aug 14, 2008
    10. Nov 1, 2010 6:14 PM (in response to CWCastelli)

Count me in! 

MCM '09, '10, '11

Richmond Marathon '09

RNR Arizona Marathon '10

RNR Mardi Gras Marathon '10

Shamrock Marathon '10, '12

Frederick Marathon '10

Madison Marathon '10

1/2 Sauer 1/2 Kraut Marathon '10

Baltimore Marathon '10

Outer Banks Marathon '10

Seashore 50K