Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1181 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 3, 2010 9:10 AM by thedevotedrunner RSS
runnermanda43 Rookie 4 posts since
Jun 3, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 2, 2010 9:05 AM

Trouble! :(

Hey everyone!

I have a question and I hope you can help me. I have been a runner for about 8 years now, but I always had shin splints, so I would always run 3 laps, walk 1 lap when running. Recently, I bought new, elite running shoes, and they have solved my shin splints, so I went ahead and signed up for a 5K on Thanksgiving. I've been training for 3 weeks (of a 6 week program) and am up to 2.0 miles without stopping. Up until 1.75 mi, my runs were effortless and easy, and now I feel like I have a ton of bricks on my legs and on my back, and today I hardly made 1.75mi, when I was supposed to do 2.0. I am running at the same pace, and don't know what I'm doing wrong .I haven't changed anything, am sleeping 8 hours and eating clean. Any tips to what's going on and how I can get over it? I want to keep going for my 5k but am nervous I won't be able to run the 3 miles if I keep struggling like this.

Please helppp!
Amanda

• Dreamstate Legend 278 posts since
    Dec 1, 2009
    1. Nov 2, 2010 9:29 AM (in response to runnermanda43)
    Re: Trouble! :(

Have you considered strength training?  I do leg workouts about 1 to 2 times a week for strength and toning and the muscle engagement helps to support my run when things get a little tough for me.

Completed Races 2012:

Rock and Roll USA Half Marathon, 02:54:26 (1st run POST injury)

Cherry Blossom 10-Miler, 01:49:00

====================================

Upcoming Races 2012:

IronGirl Half Marathon, 4/29/12

Frederick Half Marathon, 5/6/12

Atlantic City International Sprint Tri, 09/17/12

Rock and Roll Philly Half Marathon, 09/18/12

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/13/12

Marine Corps Marathon, 10/28/12

ING NYC Marathon, 11/4/12

====================================

Personal Record from 2011:

Teach, Learn, Play 5k, 10/02/11 00:26:57 (PR)

Marine Corps Marathon 10k, 10/30/11 01:05:38 (PR)

Baltimore Half Marathon, 10/15/11, 02:24:15 (PR)

• coolbikermom Legend 418 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010
    2. Nov 2, 2010 9:49 AM (in response to runnermanda43)

I don't know where you live, but I would look into either getting into a Chirunning workshop, get the Chirunning book and video (or alternatively try the Pose method), or see if there is a professional that can evaluate your running form and give you suggestions. I feel fairly confident your problems are due to bad running form. Have you tried increasing your running cadence to get a quicker foot turnover? That can help sometimes as well.

C25k dropout

Rock the Parkway 5k 3/27/10  37:40.6

Mother's Day 5k  5/9/10  33:19

Walk/Run for Isaiah 9/18/10 4.4k 37:26

Harvest Moon 10k 10/23/10  1:08.50

Great Santa 5k 12/5/10 33:22

Carlsbad half marathon 1/23/11

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." ~Albert Einstein

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,269 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Nov 2, 2010 10:50 AM (in response to runnermanda43)

Two things come to mind.

You're used to walking 1/4 of the distance.  Now you're running straight through.  That takes some adaptation.  Try slowing down a little.

You don't say how far or how often you were running before, and are running now.  Usually when your legs start feeling like that, it's a sign of overtraining - too much, too fast, too soon (any one of the three).  Make sure you are not pushing too hard.  And keep in mind that "too hard" is relative to where you have been and where you are, not how hard the other person is running.

Len

Len

• thedevotedrunner Legend 439 posts since
    Jul 7, 2009
    5. Nov 3, 2010 9:10 AM (in response to runnermanda43)

Agree 100% with Lenzlaw.  He is a great runner who gives great advice.

I would also add nutrition as a possible culprit.  Have you made any dietary changes recently?? That may be the issue.  Tired legs can be from lack of protien. Don't KNOW this is the issue, could be overtraining as Lenzlaw has said.  Just a thought.

Running the straight and narrow,

St3ven

"Run because you love it. If you don't, learn to love it. Running will bring things into your life that you could never imagine." - Scott Jurek, Star of "Born To Run"

The Surgeon General has determined it is OK to smoke your opponent!

Flollow me on twitter

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...