Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

9119 Views 29 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2010 9:22 AM by LemonaidLucy RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • Harshathlete Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 3, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Nov 3, 2010 9:26 AM (in response to hp5010)
    Re: Do you run for a reason/cause? Do you have a goal?

Like a lot of others, I started running purely for weight loss. I still remember wogging ( walking/jogging) my first mile and thinking that it was a big accomplishment. Running 2 miles for me meant a LONG run! he he.. 2 years later, and 60 pounds lighter, following things have changed...

1. I absolutely love running.

2. I have consistently set PRs for the same 5K two years in a row ( first was 27:29 , this year it was 22:23)..thanks to weight loss and a lot of running.

3. I run to stay fit, destress and to boost my mood in general.

My goals now  ..

1. Run a sub 2 hour half marathon this weekend.

2. Run for health and fitness through the cold weather.

3. Run to shed my last few pounds to finally get a six pack....

4. Run a 20 min 5K next year.

ALong the way, I have inspired others ( especially my brother ) to get started with running. One of hte best memories I will cherish for years to come is going for a run with my brother! It felt so great! A few years ago that would have made me laugh... A few years ago, the thought of running a half -marathon wouldnt have even entered my mind..let alone running 3-4 times a week.....

But as others have said, the longer you keep running, the wider  your spectrum of goals gets and you will be running for different reasons at different times...

HTH

Harshathelte

My fitness blog...

www.harshathlete.com

• Julia66 Pro 75 posts since
    Aug 31, 2010

I started running a year and a half ago when I signed up for a triathlon training class at the Y. My goal was to improve my fitness. I surprised myself by actually completing a sprint triathlon at the end of the course. Since then I've been committed to staying fit because I don't want to be an old lady at 65.

Going into it I wasn't a runner - I much preferred the bike or the pool. I can't explain why I decided to run a 10K this April, but I've always been goal-oriented. I had never run longer than 5K and 10K sounded like a stretch goal. I did it to prove to myself that I could.

During the 2-month training process I found that I actually enjoyed running, although I preferred the 5K distance. This fall I trained more intensively for a 5K because I wanted to improve my time. I succeeded, and it felt great. My goal for my next 5K is a new PR. I might run longer races in the future.

Now I run to stay fit, enjoy being in motion, and improve my state of mind. If I'm feeling down, I always feel better after a run.

Completed 2013:

Guadalupe River Run 10K April 2013 (1:01:36) PR!!

Completed 2012:

Turkey Trot 5K Nov 2012

RSS Fun Run 10K May 2012 (1:03:17)

Mermaid Run 10K May 2012 (1:09:37)

Completed 2011:

Turkey Trot 10K Nov 2011 (1:05:20)

Firefly 5K Oct 2011 (49:14) - with DH and DS at son's pace

Rock 'n' Roll Half Oct 2011 (2:32:12)

Run for the Sun 5K Aug 2011 (30:17) PR!!

Coyote Hills 3.5 mi Jan 2011 (38:47)

• P-Ro Amateur 11 posts since
    Nov 16, 2009
    17. Nov 3, 2010 10:39 PM (in response to d74323c)

Running for a cause is great motivational tool.  It inspires you to improve not only your own health, but the lives of others through sponsorships.  Knowing there were a lot of people supporting me, gave me the drive to finish my first half marathon, the 500 Festival Mini-Marathon in Indianapolis.  I had set two  goals for the race.  First was to finsh the race and second was to raise the most money for my respective charity.  I'm proud to say I did both.

It was a great starting point.  I look forward to finishing another half and shaving at least a minute per mile off my time.  My ultimate goal is to run a full marathon.  This is a long term goal, probably two years from now.  I never would have started running if I wasn't supporting a charitable cause.  All you need to start running is the right inspiration.

• SPRGRN Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 4, 2010
    18. Nov 4, 2010 12:43 AM (in response to d74323c)

Why I run:

I once did a 5k walk for cystic fibrosis, I collected donations from people "sponsors" and gave it over the CF foundation to help find a cure.

But other than that, I run for me. I used to run in High school because I liked it, I ran in College to keep fit, now I run because I've kinda let myself go, and have now decided to run a Tirathlon next July. So pretty much any running I do now, will be for training, but hey, training is fun!

My goals:

1.) do every 5k and 10k I can until next July.

2.) I'd like to pull 8min/mile pace for these races (so 5k in >25mins, 10k in >50mins) but as I've just started my training, that may not happen for my first 5k (Nov 21st), I'm currently at a 10min/mile at 3.6miles; not going to let it discourage me though!

3.) By the end of December be able to do a sprint triathlon - 1/2mi swim, 12.4mi bike, 3.1mi run

4.) July 2011 do the Mill City Triathlon in Lowell Massachusetts - Olympic length 1mi swim, 25mi bike, 6.2mi run

5.) Do the Boston marathon in 2012, as the 2011 was sold out the day registration opened

6.) Keep doing it!

• racebug313 Amateur 25 posts since
    Oct 18, 2010

I've only just started races, and I have to say that I enjoy those for a cause because the energy around the race is just inspiring. 

I should also say that I've only just started to really enjoy running over the last few months.  I used to think- I only like to run if it's 'for' something, like to get to the soccer ball or down the grass in field hockey.  But wow- running is for so much more.  Health, happiness, accomplishment, peace of mind.  Running really clears my mind and gives me perspective.  It's 'my' time.

I went a little backwards, jumped in to a 10k first, then a few 5ks...  my goals are to continually decrease my speed, increase my mileage and participate in a half at the end of February.  I'd like to pick up a 5k race a month- I feel they help keep my training in check.

You have a choice- you can throw in the towel, or use it to wipe the sweat off your face

Crossed the line...

Komen Race for the Cure 10K: 1:08

Spartan Challenge 5K + obstacles: 33:05

Creaky Bones 5K: 30:59

St Pete Turkey Trot 10K- 1:07

Gasparilla Half Marathon (1st!)- 2:42

Coming up:

Oct-       Chicago Marathon

• Vicky Sullivan Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 16, 2010

We recently moved to from NY to DE, I work from home and it's easy to get a case of the cabin fever.  I run to maintain my sanity and also it's therapeutic not having to answer calls/emails while I'm out running.  It's my sanctuary.  There has already been some injury setback a couple of months ago due to too much running in too little time.  But it's a goal to run a 1/2 marathon by this time next year. 

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009

I think having big goals and an ultimate reason for your running is so important. Right now, my goal is to take the next year and get in the best shape of my life for the Chicago Marathon in 2011. After qualifying for Boston, I want to run a PR in my hometown marathon - Boston! Then I might make my ultramarathon (50 miler) debut in late 2012.

Long-term goals are important - like mine above - but you have to have short-term goals and small win goals that keep you motivated along the way. Like today, my goals are to run 12 miles and do 15 minutes of strength work after my run. It's easy when you break it down to manageable chunks.

Great thread here!

- Fitz.

Strength Running
  • Lornadoon Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 24, 2010

The reason I run is for myself.  I was never much of a runner although I was athletic teenager/young adult so I knew if I tried I would succeed.  I am not fast but I never quit - I will always cross the finish line no matter what my time will be.  One day I would like to place in a race, but for now I'm thankful I can start and finish.  I ran my 1st 1/2 marathon at the Baltimore Running Festival in October 3:09:29- what a high that was crossing the finish line and knowing I accomplished the goal I had set the year before after seeing it on TV.  I have set another goal, in 2012 I will be 50 years old and  I WILL run the Baltimore Marathon and finish with pride

Good luck to you d74323c!

My Motto:  The miracle isn't that I finished , the miracle is that I had the courage to start!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007

The reason I started to run 4 years ago was because my daughter in the 9th grade made varsity on thier cross country and track team (both teams won state that year).  It gave me something to do with her, I had football, basketball and baseball with my son.  So it became our thing, my son has join us he also now runs cross country.  Now I just love the running community as a whole just a great group of supportive people.  My family now runs a 8K every year on Thanksgiving.   I have lost 30 lbs, drink way less, and eat better.  My goals change as the years go by but here are a few:  Just had my 50th birthday ran MCM the day before my daughter ran the 10K won her AG.

#1 Enjoy life

#2 Run a marthon with my daughter

#3 BQ!!!!!

#4 Break 20 for a 5K at 50

#5 Break 42 for a 10K at 50

#6 1/2 Iron Man

#7 Iron Man

• PedDoc1 Pro 159 posts since
    Apr 25, 2008

No goals at all.  I do plan out my training, but no real goals any more.  I run infrequently due to injury.  However, I love to be running outside.  We have a county park very near our home and I love hiking and running the trails more than almost anything else I do.  So, while I love to exercise, stay fit and look good, what I really love is running the trails.  It just gives me a "high" and a sense of accomplishment.  Since I'm in the woods, it changes all the time, so I never get bored.  Maybe I'll have to find some other trails some time to keep boredom in check, but for now, the reason I run is because I can and because I love it.

05/09 Bridge the Gap, Quincy, Ill HM: 1:45:27
  • ticketyboo Amateur 37 posts since
    Oct 30, 2010
    25. Nov 4, 2010 10:07 AM (in response to PedDoc1)

i have only been doing couch25k for 3 weeks,due to years of poor fitness i decided it was time to get off my backside and do something about it .

i must admit after the first two sessions i am totally hooked on this programme.

my goals are

1 get back to a good level of fitness

2 maintain the above level of fitness

3 lose a few pounds

4 generall all round healthy lifestyle

its gonna be a slow process ,but hey we all gotta start somewhere and i am loving every second of it,never thought i would see the day where i would be looking forward to getting out in the open and running,

yours in running

David

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007

After just passing my 4 year mark of running in Oct. I feel I run because it is my lifestyle. I use races to have goals for the year coming up but they dont motivate me to run. I run to satify me.

I motivate me to run as I truly enjoy it. At the begining I think i did use races as goals, to motivate and to keep me running.

I have also ran for causes and they are inspiring as well as gratifing to help someone else that truly needs it. I feel truly greatful and dont take it for granted I can run because there are people out there that would love run and cant or never will be able too..

I say run to be free and run to live, I have found running has made me more alive then ever....

I also enjoy testing the limits of what Im able to do, I know I can do anything but this is a way to prove it......

Semper FI

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• ron6788 Pro 69 posts since
    Oct 2, 2010

Hey, d74323c, thanks for posting.  It's an interesting topic and I enjoyed reading it through.

I try to run in races that support charities.  It does make me feel better about it.  I also like being officially timed and having like-minded folk to run with.

Running is such a great sport because you can do it virtually anywhere without needing anyone else and without any special equipment.  It's a great motivation to me to continue.  I do look forward to the challenge of training for harder races.  I hope by next year my endurance will be up to handling a full street marathon.  Along the way I'll be constantly trying to better the times of the shorter distances I can do.  This is my motivation, no good reason, and fail or suceed, it's only important to me.

What first got me started running last year was when my sister told me she had run in a HM with her daughter.  I asked her if she stopped at all to walk and she said no.  I was really floored to hear she could do that.  I thought about that for months before I came to the conclusion that if she could...

Sunset Classic 5m, Bloomfield, NJ, 6/11.............................................:40:43

Grings Mill 10k, Reading, PA, 8/11.......................................................:51:15

Battle of Brooklyn 10m, Brooklyn, NY, 8/11...........................................1:26

Yonkers' Marathon, Yonkers, NY, 9/11................................................:..4:08

Blues Cruise 50k, Leesport, PA , 10/11....................................................6:23

• LemonaidLucy Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 19, 2010
    28. Nov 5, 2010 8:55 AM (in response to Marykb)

WOW, Mary, excellently said, bravo!!!

Personally, I run because it makes me feel great and it fills me up with energy.

My goals change. My first goal was to finish C25K, now I'm aiming at being able to run 60 minutes continuously. Then, a 10K race that I would finish. Half marathon somewhere later next year. First marathon before I'm 40:-) After that, we'll see. But I would like to keep running until the day I find out my body is not capable of it anymore.

Lucie

PB 5k (training): 25:32, PB 10K (training): 56:05, PB 20k: 1:55:13, PB half marathon: 2:01:32  

4/2/2011 Prague International Half Marathon 2:03:37

6/04/2011 Silva Nortica Trail Half Marathon 2:14:54

6/18/2011 Olomouc Half Marathon

8/14/2011 Zebrak 25K

Not faster, but farther. Not catch up, but hunt down.

• LemonaidLucy Legend 332 posts since
    Sep 19, 2010

Good luck with the half marathon this weekend!

Lucie

PB 5k (training): 25:32, PB 10K (training): 56:05, PB 20k: 1:55:13, PB half marathon: 2:01:32  

4/2/2011 Prague International Half Marathon 2:03:37

6/04/2011 Silva Nortica Trail Half Marathon 2:14:54

6/18/2011 Olomouc Half Marathon

8/14/2011 Zebrak 25K

Not faster, but farther. Not catch up, but hunt down.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...