Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3728 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 6, 2010 8:48 AM by coolbikermom RSS
jessicavp Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 12, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 12, 2010 9:50 AM

Shoes for barefoot running

Check out this review of Vibram Five Fingers: http://www.viewpoints.com/thegoods/Vibram-Five-Fingers.  Have you tried them?  Do you agree with this review?

\
  • bfwriter Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 30, 2010
    1. Jul 30, 2010 12:53 PM (in response to jessicavp)
    Re: Shoes for barefoot running

I just bought a pair last week. I also am just starting out running. I used to hang around the forums ages ago as Ryokan, but I was training in the martial arts and never quite got into running because it just felt ploddy.

I'm sure a bunch of folks are going to warn me against combining these two beginnings, but these are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. They make me wanna dance/run/skip/jump for joy.

I did have some significant soreness on the outside of my shins for a few days after the first run, but no actual pain. I let it subside (and continued wearing the shoes for regular activities) and I'm heading back out there again today for a short one.

• runningman400 Legend 191 posts since
    Aug 26, 2009
    2. Jul 30, 2010 3:26 PM (in response to jessicavp)

I started using my VFF KSO's about 2 months ago and this is how my experience has gone so far:

I have been running for 18 years now and I have never come across shoes like these, so naturally I was curious about them and I do see and agree with what "barefoot" running has to offer.  That being said, my experience has not been what I expected it to be.  My first few runs had some anticipated issues (shin and calf pain, soreness, etc.) but eventually came a run that changed everything for me.  I had pain in my Achilles that I had never felt before and I literally had to limp home.  I now only use my VFF's as a training aid by only using them to walk in.  I walk a few miles each day in them so I am still getting the benefits that going "barefoot" offers but without the sacrifices that it can require when done properly.

My advice would be to really research "barefoot" running.  Understand why you would want to do it and how it can help you and also make sure you understand what it takes to PROPERLY train in these shoes.  You can't just put them on and go run like you usually would.  The biggest frustration for me was that I had to substancially decrease my mileage and this really frustrated me.  This decrease combined with my injury was simply not worth it to me.  If you are willing to do what it takes to really get into "barefoot" running I say go for it, but make sure that you really do your homework.

Good luck and I hope you find what works for you! 

"WITHOUT STRUGGLE, THERE WOULD BE NO PROGRESS" - Frederick  Douglass

"TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST, TOUGH PEOPLE DO!"

• Ron Jayne Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 4, 2008
    3. Jul 30, 2010 5:46 PM (in response to runningman400)

I made the switch to Vibram "shoes" a couple of months ago and I don't think I'll ever go back.  I had calf pain for the first week or so, but I absolutely love them now.  I do recommend a pair of socks with toes for anything over 10 miles, but other than that I love these darn things!  My Avia's have been sitting in the corner ever since I received the Vibrams! 

• Diver076 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    4. Sep 16, 2010 4:57 PM (in response to jessicavp)

Oooooh - I have to be the dissenter here.

I bought my VFFs some time last spring. They are cool and fun and feel neat. Unfortunately you apparently have to have the right shape foot to wear them. For instance, if you have Morton's toe, they probably won't be comfortable. Me - my toes curve slightly to the outside and although I love wearing my VFFs for sprint workouts, the fit means that over 2.5-3 miles I have blisters underneath every toe.

Most of my running is done in NB100s now. I am ANXIOUSLY awaiting the NB Minimus.

As far as the training, they are murder on your calves! I now have calves of steel! LOL Take training very very slow and easy, only wear them once or twice a week at first and no matter how COMFY you think they are do not run over about a half a mile the first time! If you are already used to low hell-toe drop shoes you will have an easier time.

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    5. Sep 17, 2010 5:59 AM (in response to Diver076)

Thanks for your post.

My wife has been bugging me to try VFFs (why, I don't know), but I have a pronounced Morton's toe.  I have wondered about that issue, having thrown out toe socks because they didn't fit my feet.

I'll save the $$ and avoid the VFFs.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• Diver076 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    6. Sep 17, 2010 11:39 AM (in response to Surfing_Vol)

Hey - you could always just go try some on for fun!

• Leadville Fan Pro 176 posts since
    Oct 8, 2009
    7. Sep 23, 2010 8:04 AM (in response to jessicavp)

I have a pair, but do not run in them; I use my VFF for errands, walking around the house and yoga.  :-)

adult running life commenced: March 2009

2012 Rock n Roll USA Marathon 5:28:53 unseasonably hot day, full sunshine, sunburned and dehydrated during race

Omaha Maraton 5:17: __ yeah, new PR! Too bad the brain got in the way and slowed me down! ---recycled glass finisher medals.

2011:

April Fools 5K 32:13.7 age division: 28/71

7th half: Kansas City Hospital Hill 1/2--this thing is tough, but the heat/humidity were tougher: 2:45:43

8th half: Park 2 Park 1/2-New PR 2:21 and change

St. Louis FULL Marathon (my first!!!) Hilly, hilly, course full of turns 5:24

Sullivan Bros. Veterans' 5K 30:10 New 5K PR

2010:

4th half (5/1/10) --ran injured, DUMB move.

Sullivan Bros. Veteran's 5K/10K (11/2010) 1:07:17.7

6th half: Vegas half (12/2010) New PR! woot woot. 02:27:58

St. Patricks 8K (Wash. D.C.) (3/2009)

1st half 3:04 (5/2009)

10K 1:17 (10/31/09) HOT, humid, Kaua'i

3rd half: Vegas 1/2 (2:34:48) (12/2009)

I will live my life; life lived in fear is not living. ~~me

• bongobop Rookie 17 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Nov 6, 2010 7:25 AM (in response to Leadville Fan)

Shoes for barefoot running? Next thing, I expect you'll be asking what clothes you should wear at the nudist colony.

• coolbikermom Legend 418 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010
    9. Nov 6, 2010 8:48 AM (in response to jessicavp)

What is ridiculous is paying the price for the Vibrams. Seriously, how much do you think it really costs to make a pair of those? And the cheapest most basic ones are $70?

I think if you're starting out running and using them you can slowly work your muscles and ligaments up along with your other conditioning and that's not a bad way to do it. When you move away from very cushioned running shoes to the barefoot method that makes things difficult and painful for a while if you try doing too much too soon. I'm still not convinced we were ever meant to run on pavement/concrete, and and interested in seeing how barefoot running on this surface will eventually affect us.

C25k dropout

Rock the Parkway 5k 3/27/10  37:40.6

Mother's Day 5k  5/9/10  33:19

Walk/Run for Isaiah 9/18/10 4.4k 37:26

Harvest Moon 10k 10/23/10  1:08.50

Great Santa 5k 12/5/10 33:22

Carlsbad half marathon 1/23/11

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." ~Albert Einstein

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...