Skip navigation

4518 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Nov 18, 2010 1:34 PM by odysseybaketball RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Slim20 Amateur 22 posts since
Aug 18, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 2, 2010 5:03 PM

I didnt make it!!!!

So one of the coachs said i wasnt going to make the team and that took my confidence away. I just got out there and everyone else started in the summer so I was behind on most stuff. We started to do a simple lay-up drill and I felt like I dont even care so I missed all but one cuz I felt like why work hard and not make the team. He said dont come back until we talked to the head coach and I just left the gym. He really messed me up when he told me I wasnt going to make the team, I didnt have any confidence and I just left cuz when he took my confidence my skills go right along with it( I did that same drill today and I didnt miss one lay-up). Everyone telling me about how MJ didnt make the team his first year he tried and came bk the next year beasting on ppl. BUT!!!!!!!!!!!! Im not going to give up playing basketball, Im going to work extra hard to becoming better so I can make the team next. By then I should be able to dunk and have a better shot. Seeing that I only starting playing basketball for six or seven monthes by next year I should be way better...............

• Legendary23 Pro 83 posts since
    Oct 5, 2010
    1. Nov 6, 2010 10:48 AM (in response to Slim20)
    Re: I didnt make it!!!!

YOU GAVE UP!!!!!

Never ever ever give up!

You shouldve left burn marks on the court and showed that coach what your made of man!!!!

• CoachAM Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 6, 2010
    3. Nov 6, 2010 8:29 PM (in response to Slim20)

First, calm down.

- Now:

Next chance you get try to talk to the Coach, even if it's too late. Tell him how committed you are to playing and making the team better. If he gives you a chance then try. If it's too late, he will remember you.

If that's the case: then work on your game and work with friends. Always try to make everyone better. Try to win with others in pickup games. See what it takes to win. The team is made up of 5 people and 1 ball. Everyone can't have it at the same time. Go ahead show them that you can dunk next year, but show them that you know others are playing with you.

So - Do every little thing from rebounding (getting the ball for the team), assisting (finding the open man), cleanly stealing a ball (all ball no body), keeping the ball inbounds for your teammates (so its still alive), to diving on the floor for a loose ball (so your team has possession) and for god's sakes work on ball handling (try not to turn it over - pretend its your little brother, take care of it).

You'll be in.

If they don't respect that they don't respect the game. 

Nov 6, 2010
    4. Nov 6, 2010 8:34 PM (in response to CoachAM)

P.S.

If you have any problems.

Don't be afraid to write me.

I'll write you back.

• Fox97 Pro 94 posts since
    Jul 22, 2010
    5. Nov 7, 2010 6:59 AM (in response to Slim20)

Hey man sorry to hear that but just do,like you said. Keep practicing every day and improving yourself as a player and teammate. Work on all aspects of your game. Most importantly, Keep your head up and your desire for the game strong!

• love4thegame Amateur 11 posts since
    Sep 8, 2010
    7. Nov 7, 2010 7:56 AM (in response to Slim20)

when u come back dunking, dont be barely du nking, come back thrownin it down. come back like your on a mission. work on everything, shoot everyday, even if ur a big. weight lift, if ur stroger it helps. Ballhandling is always important. and any camps or other optional things ur coaches are at, go to. also, ifu want to play basketball, play some aau if u have a local team

• Legendary23 Pro 83 posts since
    Oct 5, 2010
    8. Nov 7, 2010 12:06 PM (in response to Slim20)

"So one of the coachs said i wasnt going to make the team and that took my confidence away. I just got out there and everyone else started in the summer so I was behind on most stuff. We started to do a simple lay-up drill and I felt like I dont even care so I missed all but one cuz I felt like why work hard and not make the team"

if you had worked hard you would have made it!

“I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed.” ~ Michael Jordan

• Coach Beez Legend 160 posts since
    Feb 4, 2010
    10. Nov 11, 2010 8:19 PM (in response to Slim20)

The most important thing to remember is to train the RIGHT way. Dunking the ball is impressive, but spend a majority of your time working on your fundamentals. I've known players who could dunk, but couldn't throw a ball in the ocean. Your goal is to become a COMPLETE PLAYER. If you do not have a weakness in your game, then you increase your chances ten-fold.

The things to work on this summer:

Shooting ( I will help you with mechanics )

Ball Handling ( both hands )

Passing

Footwork

Post moves

Strength ( core strength with sit ups and push ups )

.......and then your vertical.

If you are interested, I can post videos on my website that will help you with shooting fundamentals. Send me a comment on my website and I will be sure to get back to you:

www.zaciswack.com

Talk to you soon.

Matt

Attachments:

Yo, what up fools?: It's me, " THE MAN " , Zac Ryan. Even though I'm a cartoon character, I can still ball chump! So if you like basketball, then come check me out and read all my comic strips at:

www.zaciswack.com

I'm out.

• ultimatebball Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 12, 2010
    11. Nov 12, 2010 3:55 PM (in response to Slim20)

you can't let coaches get in your head take advise leave negitive comments you will get them next year if you want it more than them the way to become the best is to think you already are!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 6, 2010
    12. Nov 14, 2010 8:19 PM (in response to Fox97)

You can practice with your left hand onos drills dribbling high (chest area) to low (Knee and below)

What you want is to dribble as low as

• JNugBballer14 Pro 101 posts since
    Feb 1, 2010
    13. Nov 16, 2010 2:02 PM (in response to Slim20)

Listen, i understand, a lot of people's confidence's would have been crushed after hearing that from a coach. Mine included. But why not try to prove the coach wrong?

YOU GAVE UP. Yes, YOU GAVE UP. I don't care how you phrase it, YOU GAVE UP.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER GIVE UP.

Like i said, i understand how crushed you must have been. But it's the great players that dig down deep and try to find that inner strength and mental toughness to ignore the doubters. Remember this next time someone knocks you down.

"It's not whether you get knocked down; it's whether you get back up."

~Vince Lombardi

"Good, better, best. Never let it rest. Until your good is better, and your better is best." ~Tim Duncan

* "Dare to be great." *

"Hard work, a positive attitude, confidence, and a smile are the keys to success."

Basketball is life....#14

• UYSports Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 16, 2010
    14. Nov 16, 2010 4:19 PM (in response to Slim20)

Hello Slim,

I'm sorry to hear that you did not make the team, but that is not the end of the world. From you posts it sounds think this is a sports you like, so a little advice if I may? The first thing I would work on starting right now is my mental toughness. Basketball is not all about the physical aspect, you also have to be mentally prepared. Do not ever let ANYONE discourage you from doing anything that is helping you become a better you! That being said, get out there and work hard on your game both mentally and physically, then try it again next season.

Until Next Time!!

Coach James

Urban Sports

http://urbanyouthsports.com

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...